C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Bikecop
Hello, I thought I would post my review of the Code 3 pulley and intake on my SRT6. I have put 200 miles on it so far with no belt problems and no signs of any wear or belt dust. I am using a Goodyear GatorBack belt that I installed a little over a month ago.

The intake makes the S/C sound sick, much more whine over the cold air intake with the filter in the grill like I had before. Throttle response is better and the power is much improved through all the gears. It puts you back in the seat and keeps you there. My car runs 12.40's and it feels like it picked up a couple tenths. I plan on taking it to the track this week to see for sure. Then I will be at US 41 on the 17th for the private track rental, see some of you there.
Yay to US41!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 AM
M_M

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
Sounds nice...please dyno and also can I ask if you had a Tune already with the ASP pullies?
No, I am running a stock software.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 AM
M_M

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
*** Update *** read this to save yourself $60.00 and some time

After installation of the Code III pulley, I shredded the serpentine belt. Literally and figuratively. The car ran very hard (and well) for a few miles and then the belt went. I sent Brandon the photos. Best we can figure out is that the "pulley" shredded the belt. His theory is that I had ran it on the side of a pulley, BUT when we took it apart, it was properly on all the pulleys and guides. I installed another and "let it wear in" yesterday with a 100 mile run staying out of the supercharger. The belt is slightly frayed on the inside (closer to engine than front). I will watch for wear the next week or so.

One thing we noticed after the install. When the supercharger engages, it tries to pull the serpentine belt "in" closer to the clutch. This is exactly where I had the wear and fraying. In other words, it was pulling toward the supercharger hub assembly under load. This will probably not be a problem with a crank pulley. Anyone frayed a belt yet??

Best thing I can recommend is to let the pulley and belt become familiar before getting on it.
Would you post some photos of your shredded belt?
Old 05-11-2008, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
guys,

just returned from a quick weekend getaway down in San Diego.

I have checked my belt.. and no signs of wear or tear.

I drove the car hard on Thursday after my install.

But Brandon did tell me about the grooves and with time the grooves will be less aggressive due to the constant friction of the belt.

I would say.. just take it easy for a few days with a few hard runs .. and keep checking the belt.

Anytime you add a bigger pulley or smaller pulley.. you always start checking belt wear.. just part of the game.

-Joe
Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by M_M
No, I am running a stock software.
Cool...Dyno when you can...
Old 05-12-2008, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by TopGun32
guys,

just returned from a quick weekend getaway down in San Diego.

I have checked my belt.. and no signs of wear or tear.

I drove the car hard on Thursday after my install.

But Brandon did tell me about the grooves and with time the grooves will be less aggressive due to the constant friction of the belt.

I would say.. just take it easy for a few days with a few hard runs .. and keep checking the belt.

Anytime you add a bigger pulley or smaller pulley.. you always start checking belt wear.. just part of the game.

-Joe
Cool...thanks for the info
Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by c3232c
That would be badazz if you hit a high 11. Are you going to video your runs? I can't wait to get my intake mod!!
I will most likely have the first videos up and will share...
Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1991 Toyota MR2, 2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c3232c
I can't wait to get my intake mod!!
Brandon call UNI up and have them find out where the filters are. Tell them you have angsty customers!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG

I'm thinking the pulley is going to win that battle (at the expense of the belt). Especially given that the pulley grooves have gaps, kind of like a thread tap. As the belt inevitably slips, if the grooves are too harsh, they'll take it out on the belt!

Too early to tell, of course, so I urge all the early adopters to put many miles on their vehicles and please report back!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I'm thinking the pulley is going to win that battle (at the expense of the belt). !

I'm with you Fifth. I am VERY familiar with blet slippage on my Whippeled stang, and it WASN'T grooved, aka gapped. Anyway, let's let the milage tell the tale.

See yeah
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Belt Issues???

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I'm thinking the pulley is going to win that battle (at the expense of the belt). Especially given that the pulley grooves have gaps, kind of like a thread tap. As the belt inevitably slips, if the grooves are too harsh, they'll take it out on the belt!

Too early to tell, of course, so I urge all the early adopters to put many miles on their vehicles and please report back!

Let me ask this. One of the reasons I did not go with the crank pulley was the fact that it appears to me that the larger pulley will "overdrive" all the other pulleys, including the supercharger (which is the purpose of course). With the crank pulleys, have there been any issues of:

1. Premature wear of belts??
2. Premature wear of other components?? (such as alternator, AC etc???)

Also, will the Code III pulley potentially increase the speed of the other components attached to the Serpentine belt just like the Crank pulley does?

So far, the Code III pulley and belt are holding up over the weekend, BUT I didnt drive it much with the weather Sat and Mothers's Day on Tuesday. I will continue to keep you all posted.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab

Also, will the Code III pulley potentially increase the speed of the other components attached to the Serpentine belt just like the Crank pulley does?

[/B]

I can answer a few of these:

1. Premature wear of belt. None that I have seen of, or heard of on this fourm. Inlcuding mine which I just finished road racing.

2. Premature wear of components. Often talked about, but no one has ever come forward and actually stated it. It does make sense that as they are spinning faster, henece there MUST be added wear. Alot of speculation that they can handel this slightly faster RPM. No hard evidence has ever been given one way or the other.

Code3's pulley, negative ONLY the supercharger is spinning faster, NONE of the other components speed are affected. Main reason for people choosing this approach I might add. Oh yeah, simple instalation to boot. If you ever try breaking loose the balancer bolt, EAT YOUR SPINACH FIRST.

Hope it helps, see yeah
Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
[/B]
With the S/C pulley being smaller in diameter it can not over drive the other accesories, however if it were larger than stock, it will. Technically, I would think this S/C pulley might slightly balance the the overdriving caused by the larger crank pulley. You would have to do the math to see the difference between the two pulleys to find out how much it would balance the two.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SLK32 AMG
Originally Posted by calimax
With the S/C pulley being smaller in diameter it can not over drive the other accesories, however if it were larger than stock, it will. Technically, I would think this S/C pulley might slightly balance the the overdriving caused by the larger crank pulley. You would have to do the math to see the difference between the two pulleys to find out how much it would balance the two.
Sorry, that's not true. The component that determines the linear speed of the belt (which determines the rotational speed of each component) is the crank pulley. That's why changing it out speeds up the belt. Leaving the crank pulley the same will cause the linear speed of the belt to be the same, regardless of the diameter of the pullies on each individual component. In other words, changing out the SC pulley alone will not affect the speed of the belt or any other component in any way at all.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:19 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AdamsSLK
Sorry, that's not true. The component that determines the linear speed of the belt (which determines the rotational speed of each component) is the crank pulley. That's why changing it out speeds up the belt. Leaving the crank pulley the same will cause the linear speed of the belt to be the same, regardless of the diameter of the pullies on each individual component. In other words, changing out the SC pulley alone will not affect the speed of the belt or any other component in any way at all.
ahh, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Once the pulley cuts wear in, its completely a non-issue. Its not like we leave them sharp like a knife anyway. The pulleys are tumbled to soften the edges, then the cuts are hit with a wire brush. I have over 4k miles on my current belt, and it looks new. The current belt was brand new. The last belt had 4k miles on it as well, but it had over 30k miles total before it went on. MANY pulley manufacturers use non-slip cuts, this is not something new we came up with. We will be changing the shape of the cuts for future pulleys. Non-slip cuts do work. There is not a lot of information floating around about them, so we had to do the testing ourselves.

I have considered not using the cuts anymore. Some of the dynos posted are with a pulley that had no cuts. Perhaps I will simply make it an option. Honestly, I have a new size idler pulley I am testing this week. Its job is to return the belt to perfect tension, as well as add some more wrap to the SC pulley. This is a new middle idler. Its a one bolt piece that takes an extra minute to change when everything is apart. It is a cheap pulley to make.

Needless to say, I have spoken with almost all new pulley owners, or heard from them. Except for the one incident, everyone else is completely happy with the pulley performance, and no one else is having any belt issues. This includes multiple people running both a crank pulley and sc pulley.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lets give it some time.. to make any judgement on the "no slip cuts"...

while for some it might be an issue.. but please don't rush to judgement.

If we start seeing a few handful of issues.. I'm sure Brandon will have them refinished for you to provide peace of mind.

But right now.. there is NO need. The pulley works.

The good thing.. the pulley works and its only the beginning. So far the mystical clutch pulley has been solved.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Let me ask this. One of the reasons I did not go with the crank pulley was the fact that it appears to me that the larger pulley will "overdrive" all the other pulleys, including the supercharger (which is the purpose of course). With the crank pulleys, have there been any issues of:

So far, the Code III pulley and belt are holding up over the weekend, BUT I didnt drive it much with the weather Sat and Mothers's Day on Tuesday. I will continue to keep you all posted.
[/B]

I have yet to read a thread about that on crank pullied cars but then again I wasn't around when ASP, RENNTECH, EVOSPORT OR KLEMANN...started so there may have been at first. I have read about ASP pulley breaking cause of the weld points in it introduction(but could have been with the E55 guys with alot more mods). I defintely feel buyers should post/PM their problems or excitment over this new product so people like myself that are interested can become familiar with possible issues so they don't freakout and just give it time and avoid install problems.

Last edited by c32used; 05-12-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
lets give it some time.. to make any judgement on the "no slip cuts"...

while for some it might be an issue.. but please don't rush to judgement.

If we start seeing a few handful of issues.. I'm sure Brandon will have them refinished for you to provide peace of mind.

But right now.. there is NO need. The pulley works.

The good thing.. the pulley works and its only the beginning. So far the mystical clutch pulley has been solved.
I say by coming on here its better to PM instead but it may provide answers to the concerned or solution to the next buyer IF an issue arrises...
Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
The good thing.. the pulley works and its only the beginning. So far the mystical clutch pulley has been solved.[/QUOTE]

Its not that mythical, just for us MB owners, The Buick GS guys have been using the smaller supercharger pulley for years.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SLK32 AMG

Its not that mythical, just for us MB owners, The Buick GS guys have been using the smaller supercharger pulley for years.
True; I'm actually a former owner of a heavily modified Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which used the SC'ed 3.8l pushrod V6. There is (or at least was) a company that produced a replacement SC snout and pulley plate that allowed for different sized SC pullies to be installed very easily. The difference, however, is those SC's were not on a clutch mechanism of any kind. If the crank's turning, the SC's turning.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AdamsSLK
True; I'm actually a former owner of a heavily modified Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, which used the SC'ed 3.8l pushrod V6. There is (or at least was) a company that produced a replacement SC snout and pulley plate that allowed for different sized SC pullies to be installed very easily. The difference, however, is those SC's were not on a clutch mechanism of any kind. If the crank's turning, the SC's turning.
exactly..

Its not mystical by all means.. but some said it could not be done or work.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32used
I have yet to read a thread about that on crank pullied cars but then again I wasn't around when ASP, RENNTECH, EVOSPORT OR KLEMANN...started so there may have been at first. I have read about ASP pulley breaking cause of the weld points in it introduction(but could have been with the E55 guys with alot more mods). I defintely feel buyers should post/PM their problems or excitment over this new product so people like myself that are interested can become familiar with possible issues so they don't freakout and just give it time and avoid install problems.
I had a bearing failure on a used set of Evosport pullies.

The water pump pulley bearings failed due to excessive spinning and broke my water pump cover and busted my belt and I was stranded. It was a $900 hit in my pocket book.

Evosport gave me a new water pump pulley but did not cover any of my expenses, towing, materials and time.

Why..? I bought a used set of pulies and it comes with the territory.

The new water pump pulley was designed with better bearings to withstand the punishment. I had the older design.

Hence the reason I sold my ODSP for $400 and returned back to stock.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

The water pump pulley bearings failed due to excessive spinning and broke my water pump cover and busted my belt and I was stranded. It was a $900 hit in my pocket book.

Evosport gave me a new water pump pulley but did not cover any of my expenses, towing, materials and time.

The new water pump pulley was designed with better bearings to withstand the punishment. I had the older design.

Interesting... so the one accessory-issue on a crank-pullied car (that I'm now aware of) is from the ONLY kit on the market that is specifically designed with extra pullies so the accessories are driven at stock levels. Kind of ironic, when you think about it...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002

Sorry that happened to you...did you do a prior write-up about this issue you had? Because its first I heard of this....Just like the S/C pulley had an issue possibly I can see any crank pulley having an issue also....but its not that common by what I read or as you stated about yourself. Every new thing will have some failure in it but its only one thus far and there might be a valid reason to why not the products fault...but lets see what all say cause that will be the average maker....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley