C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Patience my friends Pulleys will be done by the end of the week. I will be on vacation tomorrow through Sunday though, otherwise it would have been a weekend release. We have a board sponsor doing an independent review before they will be released. All the pictures and information you want will be available the beginning of next week, just before they go on sale.

Also, we will be stocking the original OEM NSK bearing for those that need to do a bearing replacement on their stock pulley.

For those of you that already have a crank pulley, we will be testing out a car with a 178mm and our sc pulley. This will be tested with a production unit, which is why it has not happened yet. Hopefully next week we can make it happen.

I will start a separate thread on the intake mod. But it will be released about two weeks behind the sc pulley. If you purchase an sc pulley, I will offer you a discount on the intake mod when it is released.

Believe me, I am extremely excited. It appears from the response we have received that you are too. The first run is going to sell out fast! Heck, someone bribed me with cookies to get in on the first run
Dang it Brandon!!! I'm sorry but cookies were the only things I had with me...I told you not to bring up the bribe with the cookies...

JK JK JK

Look forward to the results buddy!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not stock.
Patience my friends Pulleys will be done by the end of the week. I will be on vacation tomorrow through Sunday though, otherwise it would have been a weekend release. We have a board sponsor doing an independent review before they will be released. All the pictures and information you want will be available the beginning of next week, just before they go on sale.

Also, we will be stocking the original OEM NSK bearing for those that need to do a bearing replacement on their stock pulley.

For those of you that already have a crank pulley, we will be testing out a car with a 178mm and our sc pulley. This will be tested with a production unit, which is why it has not happened yet. Hopefully next week we can make it happen.

I will start a separate thread on the intake mod. But it will be released about two weeks behind the sc pulley. If you purchase an sc pulley, I will offer you a discount on the intake mod when it is released.

Believe me, I am extremely excited. It appears from the response we have received that you are too. The first run is going to sell out fast! Heck, someone bribed me with cookies to get in on the first run

Hey, I sent you a PM & email regarding a pulley but you havnt answered!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Thats so weird OJ. I just got your email and thought, haven't I read this before lol. I distinctly remember writing a response to you. But I looked through all my sent items and don't see anything. I will write you back again after lunch.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 PM

c32 AMG
Brandon

Sounds amasing and interested in your air intake. Also thanks for the info on...ODPS meaning..lolol

"Tectite - Over-drive Pulley System - Because the crank pulley speeds up the entire system, Evosport provides larger pulleys for the Alternator and PS to slow them back down. This is the only kit on the market, as far as I know, that provides this kind of protection from overdriving your accessories."

My other question is so.. LET and other comapnies' Crank Pullies (except Evosport) don't protect you from the overdrive issue on accessories???.. Not saying they are inferior products, I just want to make sure i am understanding at least some of the concepts we care chatting about.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Tectite.Metal
Brandon

My other question is so.. LET and other comapnies' Crank Pullies (except Evosport) don't protect you from the overdrive issue on accessories???.. Not saying they are inferior products, I just want to make sure i am understanding at least some of the concepts we care chatting about.
I'm not sure what "issue" arises from overdriving accessories that you're referring to, as many forum members have tens of thousands of miles (maybe more?) logged on non-evosport upgraded crank pullies (Renntech, ASP, LET, et. al.), without any accessory "issues" that we need to be "protected from" that I'm aware of

However, a previous post mentions that many N/A cars tend to underdrive accessories as a way to increase whp (an excellent point), so IMHO it's valid that "underdriving" accessories at least back to stock levels via smaller accessory pullies would help avoid "wasting" any newfound power that a larger crank pulley provides... and as Brandon mentions, this is a non-issue with the S/C pulley approach.

I for one am VERY interested to see the results of the C3P S/C pulley on the modded C32 that already has a larger crank pulley... as usual, exciting times to be a C32 owner!

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 03-26-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
There is a reason most of the tuners mentioned didn't make a pulley bigger than 178mm...There was an acceptable level of overdriving accessories. The "issue" would be overdriving accessories to an early death. I have spoken with many shops, including some board sponsors, that will not install anything larger than 178mm on customer cars. The MB community has years of long term data that suggests at 178mm, accessories will be fine. Even if you are shortening their life, its minimal at best. Anything bigger, and its a crap shoot with only months of testing. The bigger issue with me has always been, why overdrive everything, when all you need to do is overdrive the sc. Plus, having a bolt-on sc pulley makes it the ultimate simple power upgrade. I too am very interested in the dual setup results, and cant wait to test them.

Pecan pie isn't really my thing. But if she can make a chocolate cream, I am all ears
Old 03-26-2008, 07:17 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Tectite.Metal
Brandon

I had actually spoke with LET about the overdrive and with their pullies they have never seen any adverse affects of overdriving the accessories. This is on cars with over 40,000 miles on them with a non ODPS setup.

Just an FYI

Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Thanks for the FYI...

Of course there are lots of cars with lots of miles on 178mm non-odps setups... They have been around awhile. Its easy to say they are fine. But without collecting data on pullied vehicles to determine the kind of problems they may have encountered, how can one speak intelligently about it...? Now factor in the addition of 181mm and 185mm pulleys that have only been around for 6 months. Honestly, with products that have been on the road for 6 months, adverse affects we are talking about would not be a problem yet. Everyone is always so big on why major MB tuners don't do certain things, but they blindly accept that a 181/185mm crank pulley is fine because someone says it is after a few months of testing? For someone to say there are no adverse effects of overdriving any number of accessories is ridiculous. Of course there are
Old 03-26-2008, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Thanks for the FYI...

Of course there are lots of cars with lots of miles on 178mm non-odps setups... They have been around awhile. Its easy to say they are fine. But without collecting data on pullied vehicles to determine the kind of problems they may have encountered, how can one speak intelligently about it...? Now factor in the addition of 181mm and 185mm pulleys that have only been around for 6 months. Honestly, with products that have been on the road for 6 months, adverse affects we are talking about would not be a problem yet. Everyone is always so big on why major MB tuners don't do certain things, but they blindly accept that a 181/185mm crank pulley is fine because someone says it is after a few months of testing? For someone to say there are no adverse effects of overdriving any number of accessories is ridiculous. Of course there are
A 181mm non-ODPS crank pullied car would turn stock-pullied accessories a little less than 1.7% more than a 178mm non-ODPS set-up. I mean, we're talking 3 additional mm's here, for something that's 18 cm's in diameter... not a huge difference, IMHO.

The years of data you mention that show the 178mm to essentially cause zero (or negligible) additional wear to accessories... well, I'm not an engineer, but it would surprise me greatly to learn that additional 1.7% exceeds some threshold where things start to wear out prematurely at a greatly accellerated rate.

However, you're right on the money when you claim "we don't know the long-term affects of pullies that have only been on the market for 6 months" - at some point, people who're looking for additional performance have to take calculated risks, and hope there aren't ill effects from their chosen mods. I will say, however, I found it curious that you're bringing up this point, seeing as how not one m111k (C32/SLK32/SRT-6) that I'm aware of has a final production Code3 S/C pulley installed... consequently there're zero months and zero miles of proven unbiased data to verify the success (or failure) of this approach.

Fifth made a good point earlier in this thread that many C32 performance modders will likely watch from the sidelines, letting others be the "R&D" for this unproven albeit innovative approach. Ted Baldwin (sp?) has made several excellent posts regarding this "leap of faith" by the consumer, wondering what kinds of guarantees/warranties exist in case anything would go wrong... although I'm not sure I've seen his questions answered directly, at least that I recall
Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
+1, c32AMG-DTM

I’ve stayed out of this thread, until now.

It’s counterproductive for anyone interested to have it become a pissing contest. Mine has hardware fitted from four sponsors of this forum, each of which is performing admirably. OP included.

Kindly keep things civil.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
so can we see the pictures of the pulley now?
Old 03-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
A 181mm non-ODPS crank pullied car would turn stock-pullied accessories a little less than 1.7% more than a 178mm non-ODPS set-up. I mean, we're talking 3 additional mm's here, for something that's 18 cm's in diameter... not a huge difference, IMHO.

The years of data you mention that show the 178mm to essentially cause zero (or negligible) additional wear to accessories... well, I'm not an engineer, but it would surprise me greatly to learn that additional 1.7% exceeds some threshold where things start to wear out prematurely at a greatly accellerated rate.

However, you're right on the money when you claim "we don't know the long-term affects of pullies that have only been on the market for 6 months" - at some point, people who're looking for additional performance have to take calculated risks, and hope there aren't ill effects from their chosen mods. I will say, however, I found it curious that you're bringing up this point, seeing as how not one m111k (C32/SLK32/SRT-6) that I'm aware of has a final production Code3 S/C pulley installed... consequently there're zero months and zero miles of proven unbiased data to verify the success (or failure) of this approach.

Fifth made a good point earlier in this thread that many C32 performance modders will likely watch from the sidelines, letting others be the "R&D" for this unproven albeit innovative approach. Ted Baldwin (sp?) has made several excellent posts regarding this "leap of faith" by the consumer, wondering what kinds of guarantees/warranties exist in case anything would go wrong... although I'm not sure I've seen his questions answered directly, at least that I recall
All good points. Keep in mind however, no one has really kept track of early accessory death. Mostly because people wouldn't think to associate the early death of the accessory with their crank pulley upgrade.

Look, I am not against the crank pulley upgrade. As I have stated before, I just think there is a much better way to accomplish the same thing.

Being that the pulley will be available next week, let me tell you guys a secret. See the picture below from the service manual. The pulley looks complicated and over engineered. You know what, Mercedes felt the same way. This is why they didn't build it that way...You heard me right, the pulley on your car looks nothing like that schematic. In fact, they simplified the hell out of the piece. That is why we can make the pulley smaller and keep the same size bearing. I am not going to say what the differences are yet, but it turns the pulley from magical to ordinary very quickly, and I will post the pictures to prove it.

Just because everyone has been so eager, here is a quick solidworks model. There were some changes made from this version, but as you can see, it is identical to the stock piece. In fact, the production version looks even more like the stock piece sans a few performance changes for better belt grip.

You guys should have listened to Frank, he was the voice of reason. He imagined what the pulley looked like, and got it right on the money. There is nothing innovative about the piece. It works identical to the stock piece in every way.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I am off on vacation till Sunday. I will check in periodically. Taking my son to Disneyland for the first time

Last edited by Code3 Performance; 03-27-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Edit: I forgot to mention, I am off on vacation till Sunday. I will check in periodically. Taking my son to Disneyland for the first time
Okay Brandon I wish you and your family GOOD weather in Disneyland. But post some pics on Monday damm it

See yeah

PS: I will check with wify on the chocalte
Old 03-27-2008, 06:59 AM

Mercedes E 320 1994
Nice numbers
Old 03-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
..... I found it curious that you're bringing up this point, seeing as how not one m111k (C32/SLK32/SRT-6) that I'm aware of has a final production Code3 S/C pulley installed... consequently there're zero months and zero miles of proven unbiased data to verify the success (or failure) of this approach....
+2

Let's keep it civil, please. No bashing necessary.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:32 AM

2005 Aero Blue SRT6
My first post.

I have a great interest in this solution, and have heard many good things about this forum.

I'm happy to say that the threads I've read to date have revealed a predominant majority of insightful comments, interspersed by the occasional internet jabber.

Thanks for making such a great community, guys. I'll be posting rarely, but reading frequently as I get acquainted.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:04 AM
Almost a Member!

'04 Black C32; '00 Black ML320
Whew, just got done reading...and I thought the last page would reveal a picture... very excited to see this thing succeed though.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:52 PM

not stock.
Thats so weird OJ. I just got your email and thought, haven't I read this before lol. I distinctly remember writing a response to you. But I looked through all my sent items and don't see anything. I will write you back again after lunch.
im still waiting for your answer .... hope it didnt rain on you in orlando!
Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I just sent you a PM. We actually went to the SoCal park. Great weather and a great time. It was a much needed rest.

This is the week everyone I will post some of the final models in the next day or two, then some actual shots mid week. Like I mentioned, it will be getting reviewed by a third party performance shop. We will also be getting some final dyno numbers with a production piece on a third party C32. I also have numerous offers to test the piece with the 178mm crank pulley, so we will have numbers on that soon as well. Its going to be an exciting week! I will definitely keep everyone updated.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:15 PM

not stock.
I just sent you a PM. We actually went to the SoCal park. Great weather and a great time. It was a much needed rest.

This is the week everyone I will post some of the final models in the next day or two, then some actual shots mid week. Like I mentioned, it will be getting reviewed by a third party performance shop. We will also be getting some final dyno numbers with a production piece on a third party C32. I also have numerous offers to test the piece with the 178mm crank pulley, so we will have numbers on that soon as well. Its going to be an exciting week! I will definitely keep everyone updated.

AWESOME!!!! oops.... completely forgot you were in CA.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:51 PM

2005 Aero Blue SRT6
Very excited to see the progress, and review.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Tomorrow is Friday

Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by bud4ya
Tomorrow is Friday
I am crossing my fingers, but I have a feeling it will be Monday or Tuesday. Believe me, no one is more excited to get these out than I am We just got our new online shop sorted out. If you go to our website, there is now a "SHOP" button. Late tonight, that button will be active, and you will be able to purchase everything in our new shopping cart. Shipping is built into the cart as well. There will also be bundles to save more money, and a discount code that I will distribute on the board. You can also read about our new products coming out.

Since we are days away, how about a final model The price will be set at $599! We will also have factory NSK bearings for sale for those that are interested in just fixing their stock pulley. We will also be offering pulley rebuilds soon.

Its only crazy until it works!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 PM

02 c32 99 superduty
How is the intake mod coming brandon? Any dates on availability?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by c3232c
How is the intake mod coming brandon? Any dates on availability?

+1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley