C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cars and boats!
I wonder how much more boost I can crank out of this supercharger!!! With the RENNTech Crank pulley kit and ECU my car is already boosting 20psi (can provide proof). Think it might be overworking the supercharger if I added the code3 s/c pulley as well? hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
Brandon is testing that now and will post results soon I believe

Originally Posted by BenzoAMGpower
I wonder how much more boost I can crank out of this supercharger!!! With the RENNTech Crank pulley kit and ECU my car is already boosting 20psi (can provide proof). Think it might be overworking the supercharger if I added the code3 s/c pulley as well? hmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:04 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
How difficult is the install? Just read the post and I'm very interested ! I've never done any pulley changes before so I don't know the difficulty of the install at all.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
How difficult is the install? Just read the post and I'm very interested ! I've never done any pulley changes before so I don't know the difficulty of the install at all.
Install is reported to be a 15 minute DIY procedure, I believe... check earlier in the thread, Brandon mentions it somewhere I think...
Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Sounds as simple as un bolting old and bolting on new. Nice thing here is this pulley is right at the top so it is very easy to get to. the crank pulleys are a bit more challenging for someone that has never done one.

I myslef was going to go with the crank pulley till I started reaidng about this.

Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 PM

c32 AMG
Bud4ya "I myslef was going to go with the crank pulley till I started reaidng about this."

Like i said...

Originally Posted by Tectite.Metal
The other issue for no pics of this product is simple... Its generating interest, and anticipation.. This is a great buisness marketting espicially toward the individuals who were thinking of getting a crank pulley.. Now this new pulley has come along and they are holding back on purchasing the crank pulley.

Its simple and every SMART buisness does this and it does not matter how big or small of a buisness you have. Code 3 has a great idea, he believes in it and wants your buisness too. So if this release persuades even 20 neebies from getting the crank pulley.. Humm thats 20 x $600.. hummm well do the math.

NOW not saying this the reason cause i know its because we have seen LET and Code 3 create some amazzzing products for a lot less and their philosophy is screw the greedy companies.. Which is awesome for us but they are investing time and energy away from their families and hell.......... Time is Money toooo..

So guys be patient its going to be here...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM

srt6
Just to be 100% clear, this will work on the crossfire srt-6 as well? It seems no one involved in this new pulley has been providing updates on the crossfire forum and several members including myself are very interested in the pulley.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by BenzoAMGpower
Brandon answer this in a post in this thread and its not a great idea but he was gonna test a S/C pulley on a crank pullied car but no results posted yet...
Old 04-05-2008, 01:45 PM

W203 C32 AMG, W124 E300D
Will this pulley work with a chip?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 PM

MB
Originally Posted by mrphotoman
Just to be 100% clear, this will work on the crossfire srt-6 as well?
Yes.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by c32used
Brandon answer this in a post in this thread and its not a great idea but he was gonna test a S/C pulley on a crank pullied car but no results posted yet...
Hey there c32used,

I don't recall that at all (bolded above). In fact, IIRC Brandon said something along the lines of "this should work with crank-pullied cars and just might keep those 335i's at bay" or something like that.

Agree 100% though that no test results have been posted yet - it'd be good to know...
Old 04-06-2008, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
From the Crossfire forum:
Originally Posted by code3smith
"....If you have not kept up with the thread on mbworld…As much as I am hoping this will work with a larger crank pulley, I dont have high hopes. I think belt slip is going to be too much to be useable…."
Bummer.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I should have clarified my statement. I feel with the SC Pulley at its current size, there will probably be too much belt slip. But we are still going to test it, as you never know. I have planned all along to offer an in between pulley size if it does not work, for those running a crank pulley. Even if a larger pulley only adds 10/15 rw power, I think it would still be worth it.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Brandon is it possible to increase the friction coefficient between the belt and pully to prevent slip? surface treatment- roughen the pulley groves? serrate the pulley itself to make it grip the belt? i knok this may affect belt longevity even if it works but just wanted to throw the idea out there.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
If things work out with C32's that are running crank pulleys too, with the addition of the S/C pulley, Will there be a need to run a colder plug?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by calimax
If things work out with C32's that are running crank pulleys too, with the addition of the S/C pulley, Will there be a need to run a colder plug?
In a word "YES"

Keep in mind that ANY time you trun up the boost you are creating MORE cylinder pressure. This causes two issues, 1. Its harded to ignite a denser air/fuel mixture, so Its a good idea to DECREASE the spark gap, giving the ignition a easer way to ignite it. 2. More pressure makes for more pre-ignition. This is the MAIN reason to run a COLDER plug.

Could you get away running the stock plug, YES, but you will see MORE benefits from a colder plug, ESPICALLY on a hot day. Much less chance of pre-ignition/spark rattle.

See yeah
Old 04-07-2008, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Hey there c32used,

I don't recall that at all (bolded above). In fact, IIRC Brandon said something along the lines of "this should work with crank-pullied cars and just might keep those 335i's at bay" or something like that.

Agree 100% though that no test results have been posted yet - it'd be good to know...

I remember reading a post...but not gonna go thru the whole thing AMG-Jerry posted info on what crank pulley might work and it seems as though only the 178mm if I recall right. Either way Brandon said he would test it so still waiting on that info. I don't think I would take a chance of using a cranked pullied car with this S/C pulley but if I didn't have a 178mm I would keep this S/C pulley in mind.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
I should have clarified my statement. I feel with the SC Pulley at its current size, there will probably be too much belt slip. But we are still going to test it, as you never know. I have planned all along to offer an in between pulley size if it does not work, for those running a crank pulley. Even if a larger pulley only adds 10/15 rw power, I think it would still be worth it.
I thought you were gonna test this??...it could prove very profitable if testing was done on a cranked pullied car with your S/C pulley...if you haven't started testing please do so if you can so the interested parties can be informed please.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by AWDman
Brandon is it possible to increase the friction coefficient between the belt and pully to prevent slip? surface treatment- roughen the pulley groves? serrate the pulley itself to make it grip the belt? i knok this may affect belt longevity even if it works but just wanted to throw the idea out there.
If you take a look at the last pulley model, you will see there are cuts across the grooves. They help provide more grip. As the belt flattens around the turn, the belt expands into the cut as well, helping grip the belt. This is pretty common practice for an SC pulley.

I thought you were gonna test this??...it could prove very profitable if testing was done on a cranked pullied car with your S/C pulley...if you haven't started testing please do so if you can so the interested parties can be informed please.
I am. But I am waiting to get a production piece in my hand to do so. There is no doubt it will work. But work well is a different story. But this is why we test parts. We might find that it works great, and we pound out another 20rwhp. We might find that it slips like hell, and in that case, I will make an in between pulley to test. If that doesn't work, I have other ideas in mind.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Will you have pictures of the intake as well as install instructions for that on your website soon?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
In regards to how much boost is being generated, I did some runs today for everyone. These are back to back runs. I put the stock pulley on, and went out and did a few 70-108mph runs. I got home, swapped the Code3 Pulley on, and went back out for the same runs. I overlayed the data that matched up almost identically in time, and graphed it out for you. I was running the intake mod for both stock and code3 runs.

Time 70-108mph
Stock - 9.032 seconds
Code3 - 7.052 seconds
Difference - 1.98 seconds

There is a gear change in there as well. I do a lot of 70-100 testing, and I typically see the C3P pulley knocking about 2 seconds off the time. This is consistent with that. The boost numbers are in in/hg. To convert them, multiply the value by .4912, then subtract 14.7. That would yield the following results.

Boost in third gear
Stock - 13.39
Code3 - 16.88
Difference - 3.49

Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM

If you shaved 2 sec's off from 70-108 and the boost has only gone up to around 16 you have me sold on this . I think running 16 pounds of boost is very safe for all of us that get nervous about blowing up the car with these upgrades. I was so concerned about doing some crank pulley upgrades because the boost was getting to be to high for my conservative approach.

Any guess if the intake makes a drastic difference in the performance of the car? I ask because if I move forward on this I may just start with the pulley for now. I mean would it be like 1 sec off with just the pulley and no intake?

Thanks,

[QUOTE=Code3 Performance;2752915]In regards to how much boost is being generated, I did some runs today for everyone. These are back to back runs. I put the stock pulley on, and went out and did a few 70-108mph runs. I got home, swapped the Code3 Pulley on, and went back out for the same runs. I overlayed the data that matched up almost identically in time, and graphed it out for you. I was running the intake mod for both stock and code3 runs.

Time 70-108mph
Stock - 9.032 seconds
Code3 - 7.052 seconds
Difference - 1.98 seconds

There is a gear change in there as well. I do a lot of 70-100 testing, and I typically see the C3P pulley knocking about 2 seconds off the time. This is consistent with that. The boost numbers are in in/hg. To convert them, multiply the value by .4912, then subtract 14.7. That would yield the following results.

Boost in third gear
Stock - 13.39
Code3 - 16.88
Difference - 3.49
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the intake mod will yield 10+RWHP..

I driven the car with the mod and basically it helps with throttle response and makes the supercharger scream a bit harder. But it will be very simple to install and better than changing air boxes and air tubes.

Like a SVT Cobra (Whzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Basically adding the pulley alone with a nice pair K&N's and making sure you have a nice FM HE.. would be the best start up set up. Heat Spacers is probably a good idea.

plugs and wires, resonator, and ECU tuning probably secondary.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:49 PM

10 to the wheels is a pretty nice gain depending on the cost. Do you have to hack up any stock tubes or anything with the intake mod? What gets my ear with these 2 mods is "simple to install". It seems like it is just a chore to change the air filters in the car. So if I decided on just the pulley now and went the K&N route then that sounds like it will work well also. I guess I will have to look at the price of the intake mod vs the cost of the K&N's. Plus the power gain from the intake mod vs the K&N's.

So the pulley is the major part of the power and the intake is a nice supplement to the pulley.

For the cost of colder plugs it is probably worth changing those out as well to help with the extra boost/heat.

I am just in a circumstance for the next year or so where I just want some mods that can be taken on and taken off with ease and not a lot of time involved.

Originally Posted by TopGun32
the intake mod will yield 10+RWHP..

I driven the car with the mod and basically it helps with throttle response and makes the supercharger scream a bit harder. But it will be very simple to install and better than changing air boxes and air tubes.

Like a SVT Cobra (Whzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Basically adding the pulley alone with a nice pair K&N's and making sure you have a nice FM HE.. would be the best start up set up. Heat Spacers is probably a good idea.

plugs and wires, resonator, and ECU tuning probably secondary.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Unless I read you wrong Bud4Ya the intake mod will benefit more with the aftermarket air filters...as Topgun32 mentioned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: A turning point in Mercedes tuning...Performance Supercharger Pulley