Just got a C55 AMG! few questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 03:25 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Just got a C55 AMG! few questions

So last Monday I picked up a 2005 C55 with 26,000 miles for 28K good deal i thought. Some say I down graded from my S500 but i say its a far improvement. I no longer look like im driving an old mans car. Ive been a huge AMG fan for the longest time and now that I got one I still cant believe i got this dopeass car! Anyway I got a few questions.
Whats the deal with the shift lag in Manuel mode? I plan on taking it to the drags this week for a few runs anyone one know a good point to up shift without drilling my rev limiter waiting for the car to up shift.

Should i just put it in drive and go? or would Manuel mode be better when at the drags?

is there a way to integrate satellite radio to my screen without using the dealers way over priced integration. I got the SAT button on my H.K head unit and it would be nice to control it from the head unit rather than some lame best buy car unit.

And lastly what voids my warranty? my warranty is up in November 2008 should i buy an extended warranty?

Last edited by hooleyboy; 03-17-2008 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 Model X DM | 2007 E63 | 2006 E46 M3
thats so funny. i sold my c32 last month and i was going to buy a c55. I think its the same exact one. I saw it on autotrader from a inde. dealer. He was asking 29,990? it should be the same one. you have such a great buy! congrats. But anyways, i would just buy the extended warranty for peace of mind like most fellas would tell you on the board. it could really save you money in the end as well. once again, great find....
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
First off, congrats on getting the car. That's a great price! You will enjoy it!
Secondly, please tell me you did not refer to it as "dopeass"?
It's a little more sophisticated than that...

As for manual shifting, there is no real cure for the lag. I too was disappointed with the lag when using the shift buttons. You'll basically need to figure out the range you can stretch it to w/o hitting the rev limiter, which will recquire watching the tach closely and shifting several hundred rpms before redline to account for the delay.
I've only made 3 passes at the track in mine, and surprisingly my best ET was when I manually shifted it, but I used the shifter handle to do it, instead of the shift buttons. I had run 13.6's letting the car shift itself, and then ran a 13.4 shifting it myself. However I also dropped my 60' time on that run which accounted for the difference in ET. By what I understand you can slightly change the rev limiter via programming, but it's expensive.

Personally, I highly recommend getting the extended warranty if you can. With the cost to repair these cars at the dealership, it can easily pay for itself in one or two repairs. If you plan on doing a bunch of modifications you simply need to consider the fact they will deny any damage/repair claim that can be attributed to a performance modification. That will also depend on the leniency of your particular dealership. Some may be more forgiving than others. For example, if you install an underdrive pulley, or lightweight crank pulley, they would likely deny any claim tied to those rotating assemblies (unless you put the stock one back on before taking it in).
However, if you did exhaust mods and your AC failed, the two cannot be related and they'd have to fix the AC system under warranty. etc, etc.

Be sure to post your track results when you get them. Have fun with it!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
congrats and welcome to the amg family

Old 03-17-2008, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Posts pics and Welcome!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by JToups386
For example, if you install an underdrive pulley, or lightweight crank pulley, they would likely deny any claim tied to those rotating assemblies (unless you put the stock one back on before taking it in).
Not true with the poor fellow who had a renntech pulley on his E55. The bolts for his rear suspension sheared off. The dealer (located in san francisco) denied the claim because they claimed the added 40 horsepower from the pulley put too much stress on the rear suspension and ripped it right off. Even worse the SA labeled his car a status 8 meaning he can no longer recieve warranty work period. Real sad story this guy is going through. YOu can read it on the w211 subforums
Old 03-17-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Congrats on the car! What a price. Do a search on "sprintbooster" and buy one for about $300 bucks, that will eliminate your lag problem.

Also, do a search on "tranny reset" and follow the instructions. That will reset your MB "adaptive" or learning transmission and it will shift faster with less lag until it becomes used to non-race driving again.

Procedure:
1. Place key in "on" position, not start;
2. Fully depress the accelerator for five seconds;
3. With the accelerator full depressed, turn key to "off" position.
4. release accelerator;
5. wait at least two minutes before restarting the car.

Your Trany will now be reset and will shift faster. Forum, if I left anything out, feel free to add.

Regards,

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2008, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
28k for a C55 wow..... speechless...w203 AMG's are worth less in resale.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 PM

05' c55 amg
hey man it seems like you know your stuff... i just bought a c55 06' 16k miles prem. pack. no xenons, paid $3800?? anyway I really want to do some mods to it without causing damage, ex. iwant xenons, i want a new air filter, and so on my question is can i get xenons installed, if so how much? would a new air filter help performance?
any help i would seriously appreciate,
thanks
John DeSimone
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by carman1981
hey man it seems like you know your stuff... i just bought a c55 06' 16k miles prem. pack. no xenons, paid $3800?? anyway I really want to do some mods to it without causing damage, ex. iwant xenons, i want a new air filter, and so on my question is can i get xenons installed, if so how much? would a new air filter help performance?
any help i would seriously appreciate,
thanks
John DeSimone
I would of sold you mine for $38K. With xenons, Bluetooth cell, Sirius, Nav and Ipod adapter.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:30 PM

C55
Originally Posted by JDC55
I would of sold you mine for $38K. With xenons, Bluetooth cell, Sirius, Nav and Ipod adapter.
year/mileage?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:37 PM

C55 AMG
$28k for that car is a steal! I looked for a c55 for months and it seemed like for $30 or under the car came with some major hitches ie high miles, no warranty, bad shape. I even looked at one for 29.9k with a cracked front bumper. I think these cars are selling for 33-37 on average if you want one in great shape.