C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

weird chirp like noise when stopping or taking off.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
weird chirp like noise when stopping or taking off.

Ok, I know this is gonna be vague... but I have to ask. Whenever I am coming to a stop, and when I am taking off from one... I get a strange "weh" type noise. I am usually good at isolating stuff like this, but this has me completely thrown. But I really think its coming from under the hood. Any ideas? Sorry if this is so vague, but I am hoping another owner has run into it.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by pointman
Ok, I know this is gonna be vague... but I have to ask. Whenever I am coming to a stop, and when I am taking off from one... I get a strange "weh" type noise. I am usually good at isolating stuff like this, but this has me completely thrown. But I really think its coming from under the hood. Any ideas? Sorry if this is so vague, but I am hoping another owner has run into it.
Sound/Video clip is going to be ideal. I have a sound from time to time when it's SUPER cold out that eventually goes away. But off the top of my head, I can't make "weh" sound like a chirp
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Probably the Kompressor clutch going bad.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
This thread explains something similar. Is this close to what you are experiencing?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/225947-jerk-chirp-saga.html

Splinter took a drive in my car and did not notice it as much as I did. Of course, it's never a good idea to have a mostly deaf person listening for a chirp in your car. His car made the same noise. We both believe it is the S/C clutch.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you everyone! And thanks for the link. I believe its definitely the same issue as mine. I gotta bring the car in for this... again. Hopefully they can clarify if in fact it is an issue or not. I will push the issue, and see if anything comes of it. Thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by ScottW911
...splinter took a drive in my car and did not notice it as much as I did. Of course, it's never a good idea to have a mostly deaf person listening for a chirp in your car...
WHAT?!

I’m only partially, okay, three-quarters hard of hearing and oblivious to the joyous sounds' of the world around me. The voices in my head come through loud and clear, though.

pointman- hope you get yours squared away. Kindly keep us updated.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by splinter
WHAT?!

I’m only partially, okay, three-quarters hard of hearing and oblivious to the joyous sounds' of the world around me. The voices in my head come through loud and clear, though.

pointman- hope you get yours squared away. Kindly keep us updated.
That must be why you waited so long to do the resonator delete. Sounds the same to you either way?

Pointman, I just did the ECU reset the other day and it did relieve the chirp (a little) until the ECU re-trained itself.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 PM

MB C32 AMG
Are you sure that your water pump is not going kaput? Is the chirp coming from the belt? That's what happened to me. I used to get a slight chirp when the car was idling but was not consistent. It pissed me off because I replaced the SC last year due to the SC clutch. I opened up the hood while the car was running and found the water pump pulley wobbling which is a sign of the water pump going bad. After the pump and belt replacement, no issues.
Someone else mentioned if you could post a sound clip it could help us out a lil better.

Last edited by john89011; 03-25-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That must be why you waited so long to do the resonator delete. Sounds the same to you either way?

Pointman, I just did the ECU reset the other day and it did relieve the chirp (a little) until the ECU re-trained itself.
Hmm, interesting. Will check with the dealer as a possible solution. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by john89011
Are you sure that your water pump is not going kaput? Is the chirp coming from the belt? That's what happened to me. I used to get a slight chirp when the car was idling but was not consistent. It pissed me off because I replaced the SC last year due to the SC clutch. I opened up the hood while the car was running and found the water pump pulley wobbling which is a sign of the water pump going bad. After the pump and belt replacement, no issues.
Someone else mentioned if you could post a sound clip it could help us out a lil better.
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Its weird cause I get it right as I stop, and right as I take off. Not sure if there is any wobble or not. Will try to get a sound clip. Either way, will report back. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:57 PM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
What year and model do you have?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Hmm, interesting. Will check with the dealer as a possible solution. Thanks.
Pointman, the ECU reset I was referring to is the 4 step process you do in 2 minutes, 5 seconds in your own driveway. You probably remember reading about it in this forum. You know, with engine off, turn key to 2nd ignition position, depress gas pedal to floor for 5 seconds, turn key off then remove foot from gas pedal, wait 2 minutes and go.

Your car will feel brand new again. I do this all the time and love the fresh feel of the car afterwards.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Pointman, the ECU reset I was referring to is the 4 step process you do in 2 minutes, 5 seconds in your own driveway. You probably remember reading about it in this forum. You know, with engine off, turn key to 2nd ignition position, depress gas pedal to floor for 5 seconds, turn key off then remove foot from gas pedal, wait 2 minutes and go.

Your car will feel brand new again. I do this all the time and love the fresh feel of the car afterwards.
Yes sir. I am familiar. I did it once, and coincidentally got a CEL. Since then, I am scared to do it again. lol.