LSD what are my options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
LSD what are my options?

My plan of attack is to build the suspension, wheels, LSD, and brakes before i get in to motor, we all know there's cars a quick out of the box, so i will leave the motor for last I got my ideas for brakes, suspension, but I'm not sure what my options are for an Limited slip dif. I know LET has one, but i dont know of others. And what is the life span of an aftermarket LSD?
Old 03-31-2008, 01:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Kleemann and Quaife make LSD's for the C55 I believe.

Any reason why you want to upgrade your brakes? The stock ones are more than adequate IMO.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
i'm just a fan of being able to stop a car better than stock. I want drilled rotors all around and big fat brakes for the front. I felt when i was at the drags stopping from 100+mph was a bit of a challenge. brakes seemed to get (I'm not sure how to say it) mushy under heavy braking... So some nice big brake calipers and bigger front and read rotors is what i'm thinking.... just a fan of good brakes
Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Try stainless steel lines and ceramic metallic pads first. The 4-piston fixed calipers and 13.6" rotors are more than up to the task of stopping the car.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by e1000
Try stainless steel lines and ceramic metallic pads first. The 4-piston fixed calipers and 13.6" rotors are more than up to the task of stopping the car.
Hawk pads any good?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
I've heard of some people trying the Hawks and having good experiences. Akebono and Porterfield seem to get good comments here. I tried the EBC Redstuff and didn't like them so much.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by e1000
Kleemann and Quaife make LSD's for the C55 I believe.

Any reason why you want to upgrade your brakes? The stock ones are more than adequate IMO.
+1

Quaife is gaurenteed for life, so that should solve any longevity issues. But it does come at a RIDICULOUS price, IMHO. About $2200.00 istalled

As far as the brakes, there is NO way you faded them from 1 stop at the drags. I road race my C32, and they can REALLY take a pounding before they fade. AS the man said, THEY ARE MORE THAN ADEQUATE. Save your money my friend, unless you are a REAL die hard road racer, your wasting ALOT of money for a minimal gain in this department.
Heck, I am not changing anything on my brakes, except pads, and I live 5 miles from my track and go whenever they will let me on. I only faded mine once, after a 20 minute sesion trying to keep up to a Z06, my fault, NOT THE BRAKES. I was driving WAY too hard, thinking I was in my old race car.
Suspension, go NUTS, coil overs, bigger bars, camber plates, your wallet is the only limit here

See yeah
Old 03-31-2008, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Quaife by all I read and been told seems to be the best.....I am not to aware of Kleemans right now. I agree with MrAMG1 on SUSPENSION...but I say get into the motor first then build around it. Things like big brakes are good if you add more power and suspension helps to keep power down to ground. You can add the Quaife anytime but only do it if you want to take those precious tenths off your quarter or if you AutoX....the stock brakes as e1000 said are quite adequate at handling your current power...try different pads first then see if they feel mushy still.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
[QUOTE=MRAMG1;2738224Heck, I am not changing anything on my brakes, except pads, and I live 5 miles from my track and go whenever they will let me on. I only faded mine once, after a 20 minute sesion trying to keep up to a Z06, my fault, NOT THE BRAKES. I was driving WAY too hard, thinking I was in my old race car.
Suspension, go NUTS, coil overs, bigger bars, camber plates, your wallet is the only limit here

See yeah[/QUOTE]

I've had good luck with EBC Yellowstuff (a race-capable pad) and EBC Red Ceramics. One stop from 100 MPH should not strain any brake setup. If anything, you might be experiencing a lack of bite because the brakes are cold. Getting bigger rotors would make that situation WORSE.

My view on big brake packages has been enlighted by my experience with my 944. There are two 944 spec racing series' that specify stock rotors and calipers, and these cars run very competitively without problems. And these are MUCH smaller than our C32 setup (ONE piston!).

As said, for a heavier car running a LOT of high speed race tracks, you might benefit from a big brake setup; but don't count on it. Check out StopTech which offers two "big brake" options for our cars. One of the two is actually SMALLER than the OEM when you measure swept area, and the other is only slightly larger than stock.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I've had good luck with EBC Yellowstuff (a race-capable pad) and EBC Red Ceramics. One stop from 100 MPH should not strain any brake setup. If anything, you might be experiencing a lack of bite because the brakes are cold. Getting bigger rotors would make that situation WORSE.
As said, for a heavier car running a LOT of high speed race tracks, you might benefit from a big brake setup; but don't count on it. Check out StopTech which offers two "big brake" options for our cars. One of the two is actually SMALLER than the OEM when you measure swept area, and the other is only slightly larger than stock.

Hey Fifth. +1

Thanks for the positive review on EBC, as I have been leaning towards them, the Red Cermaics to help on the dreaded brake dust issue. I'll Keep you posted as my first Beaverun event is soon

See yeah

PS: can't wait to see if the pulley/HE helps me at all, or hurts me if you know what I mean
Old 03-31-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey Fifth. +1

Thanks for the positive review on EBC, as I have been leaning towards them, the Red Cermaics to help on the dreaded brake dust issue. I'll Keep you posted as my first Beaverun event is soon

See yeah

PS: can't wait to see if the pulley/HE helps me at all, or hurts me if you know what I mean
EBC had an older "Red" formula that was not ceramic, and it got some **** poor reviews. So that reputation has carried over to the new ceramics. I ran Reds on track and my only complaint was that they could pick up a "glaze" making them not very grippy until hot. I put EBC Yellows on the C32 about 8 months ago in anticipation of a track day that never happened, and I've had them on ever since. They're a great street pad, and supposedly they work for the track too. They do spit out a lot of dust.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:03 PM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
While it's been more than a few years since I've tracked cars, but back in the day if you needed a decent track brake pad you had to live with very poor braking when cold. Assuming that things haven't changed a whole lot, I'd think that you wouldn't want a track pad for the strip as they take at least one hard stop to get warm.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
EBC had an older "Red" formula that was not ceramic, and it got some **** poor reviews. So that reputation has carried over to the new ceramics. I ran Reds on track and my only complaint was that they could pick up a "glaze" making them not very grippy until hot. I put EBC Yellows on the C32 about 8 months ago in anticipation of a track day that never happened, and I've had them on ever since. They're a great street pad, and supposedly they work for the track too. They do spit out a lot of dust.
I guess that's what I experienced. Didn't ever get mine up to temperature I guess. I didn't particularly like them for street use.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by lkfoster
While it's been more than a few years since I've tracked cars, but back in the day if you needed a decent track brake pad you had to live with very poor braking when cold. Assuming that things haven't changed a whole lot, I'd think that you wouldn't want a track pad for the strip as they take at least one hard stop to get warm.
You are dead on my friend. A track pad would NEVER get up to temperature at a drag strip. Unless of course you did some trail braking all the way down the 1/4 mile

Anyway, your right, save track pads for just that RAOD courses. They do make some really good double duty pads now, like the ones mentioned above for example. But if you are strickly draggin, you don't want or need a road racing pad as the stock pads are just FINE for this application.

See yeah
Old 03-31-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by lkfoster
That's what surprises me about these EBC yellows. They are listed as a track pad capable of street use. So I expected them to have weak bite when cold. Wrong. They're as good as any street pad. That said, I never did use them on the track, so I really don't know how good a track pad it is.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just delighted to see someone going after LSD, suspension and (possibly) brakes BEFORE throwing a pulley/reflash/headers/etc on a car that already has traction and handling issues. I applaud your efforts!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
+2 for Quaife....

I upgraded my diff to the Quaife LSD on my C32, and after the upgrade, I've hammered the car on the street and at countless track events with absolutely no problems. Quaife guarantee's their LSDs for life, and have excellent customer service.

As for brakes, many people on the E55 seem to recommend Porterfield and some have reported very good experiences.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
My plan of attack is to build the suspension, wheels, LSD, and brakes before i get in to motor, we all know there's cars a quick out of the box, so i will leave the motor for last I got my ideas for brakes, suspension, but I'm not sure what my options are for an Limited slip dif. I know LET has one, but i dont know of others. And what is the life span of an aftermarket LSD?
I think it's member Harry Madan who has the CLK63 brakes on his 32. Drilled, slotted and huge.

Rear rotors on C32 and C55 are a disappointment.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 AM

Location: Home is Stockholm, Sweden. But my work takes me around the world, right now I work/live in Laos, South East Asia.
C32 T 2003. Mods? MANY!! :)
I have a Kleemann LSD, and I'm very happy with it!