question for modded crank pulley C32's - non-evosport ODPS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
question for modded crank pulley C32's - non-evosport ODPS

In Code3Performance's S/C pulley thread, the point was raised that C32's with larger crank pullies (ASP, Renntech, Kleemann, LET, etc. - all but evosport's full ODPS set-up) turn the accessories faster than stock.

This point was brought up to mention that these accessories might fail prematurely due to being overdriven... which I feel is unlikely. However, there's another issue here - overdriving those accessories should theoretically cause more friction losses, leading to less rwhp and rwtq than could've been made.

So here's my question - can a C32 with an ASP, Renntech, Kleemann, or LET crank-pulley set-up ADD evosport's under-drive pulley kit for the C240/C320 in order to return accessory rpm's back to a stock range, and likely pick up a few more rwhp and rwtq?

The answer might be tied to this - do the C320 and C32 share the same stock alternator and power steering pullies?

Just curious if anyone's tried this, or considered it, or if it's even feasible... TIA.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
In Code3Performance's S/C pulley thread, the point was raised that C32's with larger crank pullies (ASP, Renntech, Kleemann, LET, etc. - all but evosport's full ODPS set-up) turn the accessories faster than stock.

This point was brought up to mention that these accessories might fail prematurely due to being overdriven... which I feel is unlikely. However, there's another issue here - overdriving those accessories should theoretically cause more friction losses, leading to less rwhp and rwtq than could've been made.

So here's my question - can a C32 with an ASP, Renntech, Kleemann, or LET crank-pulley set-up ADD evosport's under-drive pulley kit for the C240/C320 in order to return accessory rpm's back to a stock range, and likely pick up a few more rwhp and rwtq?

The answer might be tied to this - do the C320 and C32 share the same stock alternator and power steering pullies?

Just curious if anyone's tried this, or considered it, or if it's even feasible... TIA.
Very interesting I also would like to know...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt 6 chrysler crossfire
wow great question awaiting a smart reply from someone here.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

+1...
Old 04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
In my experience, the only pulley that've failed was the idler pulley. The Renntech idler pulley is a cheap plastic one with a ball bearing in it. Since the OEM one doesn't fit, I replaced it with an LET idler pulley, the pulley felt more solid with better construction materials. So far so good. The rest of the accesories have not failed and I'm approaching 110K miles.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
In my experience, the only pulley that've failed was the idler pulley. The Renntech idler pulley is a cheap plastic one with a ball bearing in it. Since the OEM one doesn't fit, I replaced it with an LET idler pulley, the pulley felt more solid with better construction materials. So far so good. The rest of the accesories have not failed and I'm approaching 110K miles.
Hey ///AMG4EVER,

Thanks for your feedback, glad to hear LET's accessory pullies are high quality...

I think you misunderstood what I was asking, however - just wondering if evosport's UDP kit for C240/C320 can be used w/ crank-pullied C32's, in an attempt to drive those accessories back at stock speeds (instead of overdriving them) to free up some more power - wasn't really asking about pullies failing
Old 04-22-2008, 12:41 PM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Speaking of thought. Correct me if I am wrong and please don’t spam me

Let say your crank pulley diagonal (dc) is 6” and your alternator diagonal (da) is 2” then the speed (rev_a) of your alter is dc/da time faster than your crank rpm (rpm_c)

Rev_a = rpm_c * dc/da

So if your crank rpm is 2000 then the rev of alternator is 6000 rpm

So if you go to a larger crank pulley (dcl) and if you want to keep the same ratio then you have also go with a larger alternator pulley (dal) that meet the formular

Dcl/ dal = dc/da in other words dal = dcl*da/dc

HERE IS MY POINT:

Most of new cars nowadays come with a voltage stabilizer, this mean with a small change in alternator rev will not affect the accessories’ voltage since the stabilizer will adjust the voltage before release it for use.

Unless the change in rev is so big that creates a voltage that would kill the stabilizer.

Just my thought

Trending Topics

Old 04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I think you misunderstood what I was asking, however - just wondering if evosport's UDP kit for C240/C320 can be used w/ crank-pullied C32's, in an attempt to drive those accessories back at stock speeds (instead of overdriving them) to free up some more power - wasn't really asking about pullies failing
Yeah I know what you were asking. I just wanted to share my experience regarding over/under driving pulleys and accesories.

The only way to find out would be to try it out. I'm assuming you'll need a different belt though.