Dyno Mode Stinks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Angry Dyno Mode Stinks

This was on MY05 C55-

I tried going into dyno mode to test if I get 1 or 2 skid marks and boy was I in for a great time. I let the car warm up in my driveway- shut it down and the put her into dyno mode.

I gently pulled out and waited for a nice gap to shoot onto the main road outside my neighborhood. I spotted a small gap but nothing the AMG couldn't handle. (especially if that pesky ESP wouldn't be holding me back)

I turned out and then mashed the gas expecting to light up the road but only to find a creeping rpm and a granny shifting tranny until I got into 3rd. The car then kept me in 3rd for the remainder of my trip. I had to pull over and shut the thing off it got me so PO'd.

What the heck did I do wrong? The main screen was flashing ABS off and ESP off and something about diagnostic testing...
Old 04-30-2008, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
NO LSD=no drift..

Gear tends to stick in one gear for a little bit if you use S mode (If you let of the gas before redline)..
Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG
wow just because you let your engine warm up to operating temp doesnt mean you can just start smashing on it. you know your tranny has to warm up as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:12 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by amg ****
wow just because you let your engine warm up to operating temp doesnt mean you can just start smashing on it. you know your tranny has to warm up as well.
Valid concern. I never really consider my poor tranny. I'm going to have to start thinking about that.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
On C32/C55, dyno mode seems to put the transmission in limp mode or single-gear mode after a few hard runs. This happened all the time on my C32, but did not happen on the 55 or 63 models
Old 05-01-2008, 04:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Yeah this happens to my C32 also after driving her hard, I have to turn dyno mode off and let the engine cool for it to shift againt. I guess once your engine heats up in dm the computer limits the tranny.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Happened to me to. If you reaad the Dyno mode thread. I have since tried it a couple of more times, and can get the tranny to work. But I'm hear to tell you, "Leave Dyno mode for Dyno time only" There is NO gain for using it on the street. Let alone the potential risk, No ABS, NO Airbags, etc, etc.

besides, unless you are on the way to the tire shop, the only thing it does for you is to let her RIP one tire mark on the ground.

See yeah
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Happened to me to. If you reaad the Dyno mode thread. I have since tried it a couple of more times, and can get the tranny to work. But I'm hear to tell you, "Leave Dyno mode for Dyno time only" There is NO gain for using it on the street. Let alone the potential risk, No ABS, NO Airbags, etc, etc.

besides, unless you are on the way to the tire shop, the only thing it does for you is to let her RIP one tire mark on the ground.

See yeah
Just a side note here: this maybe true for the 32 dyno mode only but for E/CLS/55/63, dyno mode operates slightly different. In my E63, I can drive in dyno mode all day long with no problems whatsoever. The transmission will never lock in one gear or give me any problems. On my last few track visits, I tried dyno mode a few times and on some runs it improved my times while at others it did not cause any difference.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:28 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Just a side note here: this maybe true for the 32 dyno mode only but for E/CLS/55/63, dyno mode operates slightly different. In my E63, I can drive in dyno mode all day long with no problems whatsoever. The transmission will never lock in one gear or give me any problems. On my last few track visits, I tried dyno mode a few times and on some runs it improved my times while at others it did not cause any difference.
Ditto!
I've had the same results as you listed above. I rarely would use dyno mode on the street, however I certainly have no fear of doing so. The car stops quite well, even w/o the ABS. In fact, having come from the world of GM ABS previously, I had developed quite a contempt for ABS in general, as the system on my Z28 dang near killed me multiple times by not allowing the car to stop, per it thinking I was in a skid, when I was not. Fortunately the much more highly refined ABS on the C55 has restored my faith in the system, but I still do not have any worries (on dry streets) driving with it turned off if I'm feeling like having a little "spirited" driving...
My best ET at the track came from the car being in dyno mode, and me manually shifting it. I hope it wasn't just a fluke...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Hey there JToups386 and MB_Forever:

Yeah, I was talking C32 guys, and thanks for pointing out differences between the different makes. From what I have read on the W211 board, the fastest guys, are NOT using Dyno mode at the 1/4 mile. I was only recomending NOT to use it, because of the impact that it has on the other systems. JToups386, I agree I poersonaly HATE ABS systems as they are ALL set up for Normal driving. EVERY ABS system I have ever had is set up way too leaniat, AKA NOT enough braking force. Hence the first thing EVERY vette owner does at the track, is to pull the fuse on his ABS system before turning any laps. For the rookies, or less skilled drivers, this could lead to disaster IMHO. For experienced drivers, feel free as you know what to expect. The MAJOR problem with Dyno mode is IMHO, the dreaded one wheel spin coming out of ANY right hand turn. I have to beleive this would only be WORSE on a W211 with ists substainally MORE torque. Please give me some input here if I am wrong. I can only tell you, that I have tried Dyno mode on a road course, street, and timed speed runs on my C32 and it HURT ALL OF THEM.

See yeah guys
Old 05-02-2008, 11:47 AM

2005 C55 AMG
MRAMG1:

My opinion and usage is all based around drag racing. I've never taken mine on a road course type track, therefore I cannot offer much useful input regarding it. I simply run mine in dyno mode for the 1/4 mile in a straight line, and occasionaly on the street if it's sunny and dry. I've taken it through some curves, etc, on highways and farm roads with no problem in dyno mode, but I typically would just run it with the ESC in the "off" position during those times, as I don't mind the car assisting a little in case of an emergency.

Anyway, you and others are far more experts regarding road course racing than I am, therefore I would trust your input completely there. I'm mostly just a straight line runner.

J
Old 05-02-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
At the track i used dyno mode and thats how i got my best time after five runs. I did try with just the esp off but it killed me everytime off the line & plus i am using nos. I think the best thing for the track (1/4) would be d/m and a lsd, i know its helped me a lot after the install. The only problem is that i haven't been able to go to the track but on the street its great. Btw you guys are right when in d/m it only spins one wheel (right side), thats what pushed me to get an lsd.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by JToups386
MRAMG1:

I simply run mine in dyno mode for the 1/4 mile in a straight line, and occasionaly on the street if it's sunny and dry. Anyway, you and others are far more experts regarding road course racing than I am, therefore I would trust your input completely there. I'm mostly just a straight line runner.

J
Thanks for the kind words, and I also value your opinion JToups386

My only question for you, how did you stop the dreaded one wheel spin at the Dargstrip in dyno mode I tried and it just lit up the inside wheel.

And to the above post YES DYNO mode with a LSD would rule my friend on ANY track

See yeah

PS: I'm just too cheap to pay $2500 for a lousy posi I guess
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle

My only question for you, how did you stop the dreaded one wheel spin at the Dargstrip in dyno mode I tried and it just lit up the inside wheel.

And to the above post YES DYNO mode with a LSD would rule my friend on ANY track

See yeah

LOL on $2500 its true it really is pricey! But at the track it looks horrible only spinning one tire! About trying to get both tires to spin personally after several atempts of going back & forth i finally saw both tires spin when doing a burnout so i took advantage of that and was the one time i got a good launch. Best time was 12.4 at 112mph. Can't wait to try this lsd at the track.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:35 PM

2005 C55 AMG

See yeah

I did an extensive burnout, which did light up both tires. (It also killed some tread life).
Fortunately, I usually race at Houston Raceway Park, which is one of the better tracks in the US. This particular night I got a best of a 2.0 60' launch, which isn't great, but they had at least prepped the track well enough to prevent a total tire fryer on the Goodyear F1's. My first two passes yielded 2.2 60's, which I tried to overcome by feathering it out of the whole just a bit before mashing it to the floor. I certainly still need to work on my launch method further.
The real key is track prep. If they put enough VHT down, and you can align yourself into the sticky groove left by other racers' slicks, then you have a shot at hooking up.
I do miss having a posi/LSD in the rear! This is the first car I've had in 11 years that didn't have one. But, I too am not willing to spend $2500 for an LSD on a car that's supposed to be my daily driver. That money could be far better used on my other car...

I really admire the setup on C55asleep's car. If money were no object, that'd be the route I'd go. It would certainly be fun to surprise the heck outta' people at the track and on the street with that one!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Originally Posted by amg ****

correct. also it takes some time before the core engine temps to come up. if we had an oil temp gauge we would see the lag. i wait an addtnl 10 mins after temps come up before going in higher rpms.

i have an option for $1700 installed for a quaife. the shop actually owes me $200 but i need rear axles to make it work.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by JToups386
I did an extensive burnout, which did light up both tires. (It also killed some tread life).
I do miss having a posi/LSD in the rear! This is the first car I've had in 11 years that didn't have one. But, I too am not willing to spend $2500 for an LSD on a car that's supposed to be my daily driver. That money could be far better used on my other car...
COOL

Yeah, I too miss the days of cheap mods, but alas, I am driving a really fun car now. I like the burnout routine, of course at the expense of a tire my friend. With your T-type, I know you'r ready for draggin, and know that anything short of 2.0 on street tires for a 60' is getting it done. Best of luck my friend, and thanks for the info

See yeah