C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

what do I fill my heat exchanger with?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
what do I fill my heat exchanger with?

I just changed my intercooler pump and now need to fill up the HE and reservoir, what do I fill it with? Its probably a stupid question but I did search.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by des-sil-amg
I just changed my intercooler pump and now need to fill up the HE and reservoir, what do I fill it with? Its probably a stupid question but I did search.
MB anti freeze + 50% distilled water.

Very easy, and it is self burbing. Your Dash will display low coolant a couple of times, and just add a 50/50 mix to the overflow tank.

See yeah
Old 05-01-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Waterwetter + distilled water
Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

Very easy, and it is self burbing. Your Dash will display low coolant a couple of times, and just add a 50/50 mix to the overflow tank.

See yeah
+1

If you collected the coolant that was lost during the pump installation, you'll know how much to put back in. I think the average amount lost during the installation of a new pump is about a 1/2 gallon.
If that's off, MRAMG1 is right - you're dash will tell you otherwise!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
don't forget to purge the system of air when your done...

Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by loungn14
don't forget to purge the system of air when your done...

It's self burping my friend. I bleed the heck out of mine, only to have my dash light come back on, ie low colant twice. So, even if you leave air in it, it burps its way out. IE you can't make a mistake.

See yeah

PS: Water wetter is worthless, unless you seperated your system. And yes, I have used it on race cars, but it does not like antifreeze. AKA waste of money for a street car with antifreeze.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
no kidding...i have purged both times I replaced mine and got a ton of air out...till it flowed nicely

Oh well..thanks for the info!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
It's self burping my friend. I bleed the heck out of mine, only to have my dash light come back on, ie low colant twice. So, even if you leave air in it, it burps its way out. IE you can't make a mistake.

See yeah

PS: Water wetter is worthless, unless you seperated your system. And yes, I have used it on race cars, but it does not like antifreeze. AKA waste of money for a street car with antifreeze.
Can you please elaborate more?

My current mixture is water wetter + distilled water only. I switched to it when I saw a bunch of members having their IC cores leaking. They were questioning the "green" and "pink" stuff so I decided to stay away from all of them.

I'm going to flush my system shortly and I would like to try different mixtures for testing purposes. It's starting to get really hot and there is nothing the johnson pump, larger heat exchangers, phenolics and mixtures can do...

Would like to have more of your input here. Maybe I can get 5 more performance seconds...
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
as far as bleeding the system for air.. its nice if you know how to do it.. but not necessary.

The system will ask you for more coolant with a few minutes of driving with a bigger HE.

As far as water.... I used regular bottled water for now. If you can find distilled water.. the better.

I plan to do a full flush system soon.. but for now adding water along with the current mix of coolant is sufficient.

remember guys, coolant does not cool the engine it only protects from boiling or freezing.

Water or Distilled water is the best coolant for any car.

I have added Watter Wetter on both of my cars.. I can't really say it works.. but it does not hurt.

I have not separated by coolant lines from HE and Radiator.. so I would say that is my next step and phenolic spacers is a very good idea.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Can you please elaborate more?

My current mixture is water wetter + distilled water only. I switched to it when I saw a bunch of members having their IC cores leaking. They were questioning the "green" and "pink" stuff so I decided to stay away from all of them.

I'm going to flush my system shortly and I would like to try different mixtures for testing purposes. It's starting to get really hot and there is nothing the johnson pump, larger heat exchangers, phenolics and mixtures can do...

Would like to have more of your input here. Maybe I can get 5 more performance seconds...
Hey there AMG4EVER:

Okay, water wetter as you know is a surfactant. Which means, it coats the surfaces inside the motor, like the heads, and it helps elimanate hot spots by allowing the water to make better contact with the metal, ie picking up more heat from it. If you read the bottle, it states NOT to use more than 20% anti freeze. Appearently, it doesn't mix well with anti freeze, a chemsitry thing here. So the more antifreeze you run, the less it helps. As was stated above antifreeze is just that. It prevents freezing, and rasies the boiling point of water. It is NOT a good coolant angent. Ideally if you seperate the HE from the rad, water wetter WOULD help, but once it mixes with antifreeze, you loose its coating properties fairly rapidly hence, its a waste of money.
I have used it in my 91 stang when I was having cooling issues, and it DID help. Granted I used distilled water, two bottles of water wetter, and NO anti freeze. I had a 8 quart pan, 3 quart oil cooler, and a 2" thick aluminum rad and still overheated at the track. Sadly this car was NOT intercooled, as KB did not make one, and NEVER did. Keep in mind that this is something that us Northern cars can not get away with through the winter I might ad, or you guys in Arizona through the summer. Oh well, hope this helped clear up the water wetter issue.

See yeah
Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002

See yeah
+1

But I seen three larger heat exchanger installed including mine and all three times they purged the system so if not needed I say atleast its a good thing to do so you have total peace of mind.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by c32used
+1

But I seen three larger heat exchanger installed including mine and all three times they purged the system so if not needed I say atleast its a good thing to do so you have total peace of mind.
Oh I difentiatly agree to TRY and purge as much air as posiable out of it before fireing her up. this way your pump wont cavitate and you will have fluid flowing through the IC core. I just am saying that what ever you miss, will get burped out over time. I thought I did my Code3 HE perfect, only to have to add water twice to my overflow tank. Oh well, just goes to show you that no one is perfect here.

See yeah
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Waterwetter + distilled water
You need to have at least 15% antifreeze if you plan to use your air conditioner or at least that what is says on the Waterwetter bottle.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
question here, my super charger will have its own aftercooler and heat exchanger that will not be connected to any other cooling system. so what than do i run as coolant?

thanks
Old 05-03-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32

Water or Distilled water is the best coolant for any car.

I have added Watter Wetter on both of my cars.. I can't really say it works.. but it does not hurt.

I have not separated by coolant lines from HE and Radiator.. so I would say that is my next step and phenolic spacers is a very good idea.
Let's not forget that for some of us coolant is also antifreeze. Water is NOT a very good antifreeze! And water expands when frozen, cracking any hard container it's in (like your engine block).