C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

SoCal Bad Tuner/Shop Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
SoCal Bad Tuner/Shop Warning

Just a warning to other listers, but Betim at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach was retained by me to do some custom fabrication work... the work performed was not up to par & the vehicle was returned damaged. He does NOT have proper liability insurance at his shop to cover damaged vehicles, and even though he settled out of court, he makes almost no attempt to make his restitution payments...

BEWARE!!!

Last edited by rbaker; 05-14-2008 at 04:01 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
never heard of such place, but thx for sharing...
Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thanks for the info...sucks businesses do such acts like they owe you nothing for our hard earned money...
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 AM

I forgot to mention that BBI had a sub contractor do much of the fabrication work, and was the one that allegedly caused the damage, so watch out for Josh of Lucas Fabrication as well. Josh didn't even have the integrity to stand behind his work & help BBI pay for the damages.

Last edited by rbaker; 05-15-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 M6
Originally Posted by rbaker
Just a warning to other listers, but Betim at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach was retained by me to do some custom fabrication work... the work performed was not up to par & the vehicle was returned damaged. He does NOT have proper liability insurance at his shop to cover damaged vehicles, and even though he settled out of court, he makes almost no attempt to make his restitution payments...

BEWARE!!!
OK How bout some details on what's going on... all I hear is some negativity. No specifics.

How was your car damaged? What was promised, what was delivered?

Just signed up for this forum for this discussion. Betim and his pals at BBI have ben trying to sell me on using them for my my upgrades instead of another OC shop.

First question I have is... what qualifications do they have? If you visit their website it sounds like they've been working on the latest JPL program... yet when I talk to them all I hear is fluff.

Any insights?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:26 PM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by rbaker

BEWARE!!!
so no court judgement? if there were, you could contact a collection agency and assign your judgement award to them. they'd pursue it for you for a % of the money recovered.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Thanks for posting and for sharing your experience with everyone, I really do appreciate that...... It is very important for people to share such negative experiences with bad shops so that others can avoid them, and learn from them. We should probably make a list of bad shops and service providers, then make it a sticky.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by pro-eng
OK How bout some details on what's going on... all I hear is some negativity. No specifics.

How was your car damaged? What was promised, what was delivered?

Just signed up for this forum for this discussion. Betim and his pals at BBI have ben trying to sell me on using them for my my upgrades instead of another OC shop.

First question I have is... what qualifications do they have? If you visit their website it sounds like they've been working on the latest JPL program... yet when I talk to them all I hear is fluff.

Any insights?
I'd rather not post too many details publically until I'm sure if he will uphold or break the agreement. He recently made another payment after this was posted (so you could say I posted this as motivation for him to continue making payments), and part of our agreement was that I wouldn't disclose too much of what happened on public forums, if the payments were made as agreed. Since he's missed a few, I figured I could disclose a bit without voiding the entire agrement as motivation to continue paying. If you want more details, just PM me and I'll give you the full scoop. There was some good along with the bad.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by genechien
so no court judgement? if there were, you could contact a collection agency and assign your judgement award to them. they'd pursue it for you for a % of the money recovered.
No court judgement, as he signed an out of court settlement agreeing to reimburse me an amount we agreed upon to cover a portion of my losses. I figure if I had to, I could take the agreement to small claims court along with all the other supporting evidence to get a real judgement, but I'd rather give the kid a chance... but I'm running out of patience. And I'm trying to be nice & not totally ruin his business by holding off on reporting it to the BBB, BAR, or CARB.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
I have not posted on here in a very long time. But I was surfing the net and came across this post about Betim and BBI. Now, I don't know what happened or what your situation is. But let me say that Betim modified my Porsche 997TT and did an incredible job. He and his partner Joey are some of the best custom tuners I have ever been associated with - and this is not my rodeo. They did a custom exhaust, ecu, under-drive pulley, IPD plenum and HRE P40 wheels for me. This was no small task. The car is putting down 465hp to the wheel (that's nearly 550 bhp) and over 600 tq. My experience has been very postitive.

Here is a pic as an example of their work:

Here are a few vids showing the sound and power of their awesome custom exhaust.

http://downforce.smugmug.com/gallery...777_22ShY-A-LB

http://downforce.smugmug.com/gallery...647_2xKqe-A-LB

http://downforce.smugmug.com/gallery...344_qTyX7-A-LB

http://downforce.smugmug.com/gallery...987_CwfzC-A-LB

Like I say, I don't know what you situation was and I am not passing any judgment on you. But, for whatever reason, your facts are very vauge. In the end, I would just like to remind everyone that there are two sides to every story and Betim is not here to defend himself. My experience with BBI has been very good. I would recommend them.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Beleriand; 06-22-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
My videos have changed location. The links above won't work. Here is a new link:

http://downforce.smugmug.com/gallery...18025819_vjhvY