L2 brakes slotted and crossed drill rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation L2 brakes slotted and crossed drill rotors

Ok after checking out this after ScottW911 had commented they where good I checked into it but unfortunately the deal that ScottW911 got is not attainable anymore according to the sellers so they told me thru email shipped they will do $375 and shipped to all here on this forum. Checkout the link and pictures. I am trying to see if they include pads and if it can be extended to the C55 owners also for that price. As well as if they will reduce price based if you pick it up at their store in Cali so shipping isn't required. Please say my name Victor if you order! Here is the Ebay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...030124719&rd=1

L2Brakes
714-534-3598
Attached Thumbnails L2 brakes slotted and crossed drill rotors-rotor-borderl2-c32.jpg  

Last edited by c32used; 06-19-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Here is the post by ScottW911(hope its ok)

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....03&postcount=2

and this one has pictures:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....29&postcount=4

another member posted this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....39&postcount=7

Here is the thread that sparked my interest:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...296&highlight=

Last edited by c32used; 06-19-2008 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Victor,

I am not surprised that the price has gone up a little. When I purchased mine a few months ago, these guys seemed hungry to get a start-up business up and running. Perhaps they are experiencing enough success to charge a bit of a premium for the rotors. Of course, if the pads are part of the package, that is still a smoking deal. I had to spend another $100 bucks for decent pads on ebay, to complete my DIY brake job.

I believe I mentioned earlier that my price was the "cash price". That saved me about $20-$30 right there plus the shipping costs I saved.

Good luck with the negotiations. I still enjoy looking at the rotors as I approach the car.

By the way, aren't the C55 brakes the same as the C32's?

Last edited by ScottW911; 06-19-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
hey not to be a prude but why not just go with a company like this :

http://store.r1concepts.com/Store/Se...=1&key=av12811

their price isn't bad at all.

and i emailed them asking what the main difference in their rotors were:

Hello,

Thank you for choosing R1Concepts. The Elines are constructed using
industry standard G3000 grade metals. The Premiums uses G3500 grade.
Basically, the Premiums can withstand 500 more lbs of pressure. It has
higher tension strength. The black coating is a black electro-static
coating for rust protection. The Elines have a silver zinc plating for
rust protection. The Elines are single drilled and the Premiums are double
drilled for better heat ventilation.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to give me a call at
714-777-2323 ext 7005. I will be glad to answer any concerns you might
have.

Regards,

D. Long
Sales Representative
Tel: 714-777-2323 ext 7005
Fax: 714-870-6163

For more deals and promotions please visit: www.r1concepts.com

whats the difference between the "e line rotors" and the Premium
rotors?

Old 06-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by edtv82

Hey, I originally posted my finding just to enlighten the brothers about a deal that I was very pleased with. No one is trying to coerce a purchase from anyone here. If r1 concepts floats your boat, by all means, do it. If the deal I got is still available and someone wants in, go for it.

Everyone needs to go with what is best for them. I, for one, am happy with the performance and price of my L2's and they were local for me, so that was a huge plus.

edit; r1 is a somewhat local outfit to me also. They are in La Habra, CA.

Last edited by ScottW911; 06-19-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Hey, I originally posted my finding just to enlighten the brothers about a deal that I was very pleased with. No one is trying to coerce a purchase from anyone here. If r1 concepts floats your boat, by all means, do it. If the deal I got is still available and someone wants in, go for it.

Everyone needs to go with what is best for them. I, for one, am happy with the performance and price of my L2's and they were local for me, so that was a huge plus.

edit; r1 is a somewhat local outfit to me also. They are in La Habra, CA.
LOL everything is in CALi

and i wasn't trying to say anything one was pushing a sale on anyone just wanted to let folks know there are more options for our cars... Like i posted in a different topic on a so called "new air filter" I just like to find new products for our cars... that are reasonable in price at that.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Ok..I was just emailed $375 is for rotors only and shipped anywhere in the domestic USA and $380 with pads and $30.00 off for local pickup.

EDTV this is for all and any other cost effective options should be mentioned also I heard of R1 concepts but I havent heard of reviews from fellow members so this one I feel more comfortable with cause ScottW has bought and still uses and likes them. So naturally I feel its a good deal to all. Many members here find and use cost effective methods but don't always post it.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by c32used
Ok..I was just emailed $375 is for rotors only and shipped anywhere in the domestic USA and $380 with pads and $30.00 off for local pickup.

EDTV this is for all and any other cost effective options should be mentioned also I heard of R1 concepts but I havent heard of reviews from fellow members so this one I feel more comfortable with cause ScottW has bought and still uses and likes them. So naturally I feel its a good deal to all. Many members here find and use cost effective methods but don't always post it.
well i do need to get my rotors and pads taken care of here very soon... i'll post up what my thoughts are...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002

their price isn't bad at all.

and i emailed them asking what the main difference in their rotors were:

Hello,

Thank you for choosing R1Concepts. The Elines are constructed using
industry standard G3000 grade metals. The Premiums uses G3500 grade.
Basically, the Premiums can withstand 500 more lbs of pressure. It has
higher tension strength. The black coating is a black electro-static
coating for rust protection. The Elines have a silver zinc plating for
rust protection. The Elines are single drilled and the Premiums are double
drilled for better heat ventilation.

If you have any additional questions please feel free to give me a call at
714-777-2323 ext 7005. I will be glad to answer any concerns you might
have.

Regards,

D. Long
Sales Representative
Tel: 714-777-2323 ext 7005
Fax: 714-870-6163

For more deals and promotions please visit: www.r1concepts.com

whats the difference between the "e line rotors" and the Premium
rotors?

Not a bad find but a little pricier compared to L2 but still not a bad deal...please give us a review.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

So, if you're already buying the rotors, why wouldn't you spend five bucks more for F&R pads? Seems like a no-brainer, even if it's just to have an extra cheap set laying around in case you're ever in a bind...
Old 06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
So, if you're already buying the rotors, why wouldn't you spend five bucks more for F&R pads? Seems like a no-brainer, even if it's just to have an extra cheap set laying around in case you're ever in a bind...
Yes true but there are people who for the $5 bucks not want it and then if you add the $30 if one picks them up at the store then there is $35 in savings. I personally prefer to forget the $5 and just buy better pads with the $5 instead. Think of it $5 for pads they must be worse then OEM possibly.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:43 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG

This guy is up and down more than the Dow Jones......

Quoted me $395.00 + 47.00 shipping to CA? I asked for the price on rear drilled rotors and he quoted me all four corners! I guess he figures people dont talk!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
This guy is up and down more than the Dow Jones......

Quoted me $395.00 + 47.00 shipping to CA? I asked for the price on rear drilled rotors and he quoted me all four corners! I guess he figures people dont talk!
LOL...did you say you got this price from this forum or even mentioned my name "Victor" I have the emails saved and talked to them over the phone. So if you did let me know and I will call myself so they honor the price they agreed to offer this forum
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
i would rather spend more on good pads that i know and trust. theres a NO brainer... breaks aren't normally somthing you wanna cut corners on as to cost...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...breaks aren't normally somthing you wanna cut corners on as to cost...
+1

When you’re underway with a healthy head of steam, one’s brakes and their pads are no place with which to scrimp.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
LOL...did you say you got this price from this forum or even mentioned my name "Victor" I have the emails saved and talked to them over the phone. So if you did let me know and I will call myself so they honor the price they agreed to offer this forum
No name dropping. I actually got the price from them a few weeks back after the OP was given the steal deal. Was hoping for a deal myself on cross drilled rears but they only quoted me all four. Thanks for the willingness to help though. Go Cubbies......
Old 06-20-2008, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Talking

Originally Posted by hkycoldrct
No name dropping. I actually got the price from them a few weeks back after the OP was given the steal deal. Was hoping for a deal myself on cross drilled rears but they only quoted me all four. Thanks for the willingness to help though. Go Cubbies......
I noticed it also when Scott bought them and remained with it in thought for awhile so I sent them a question thru the Ebay ad they have and tried and no luck but compared to the Ebay listing of what $457 plus $48 shipping I thought its a steal still so i worked to get same deal for you my fellow board members...
Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 AM

'05 C55 AMG
i got mine for $376 plus $40 for shipping to oakland, ca. that's for all 4 corners. i just dropped my car off for the install (rotors, akebono pads, ss brake line, brake fluid flush, the works) and will post detailed pics later for those that want to see.

i also had trouble reaching them. they don't seem very organized which is a pity since their product has potential. i left a bunch of messages that were never returned. best way to contact them is by email: l2brakesystems@gmail.com
Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Brakes

are not for looksunless it is a trailer queen.
Why are you guys installing cross drilled rotors?
From ebay or any bay?
With cryo rotors and the proper pads you get better braking,cooler temps and less fade.
Drilled rotors crack.They also Increase braking distance. Haven't you gotten that news yet?
Four hundred bucks and the labor if you don't diy,is a hefty sum to pay for longer stopping distance when tossing out the anchor at speed.
Diversified Cryogenics 888-323-8456
They will treat a set of oem rotors that will last for years and stop faster and safer then any set of drilled rotors ever will.

Somewhere between $5 pads? and the best pads you can buy for $300
Porterfield R4-S Carbon/Kevlar Brake a set are the akebonos.
Who in their right mind would trust a car with $5 brake pads?
It costs you more than that for bicycle pads.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 AM

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ohlord
Drilled rotors crack.They also Increase braking distance. Haven't you gotten that news yet?
sorry i haven't gotten the news...and apparently neither has AMG...since they gave me crossdrilled rotors in the fronts when i bought my car :P why would AMG continually do this if it increases braking distance?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:33 AM

'05 C55 AMG
btw, the L2 rotors are Centric rotors. it even comes in centric boxes...although some of mine had L2 stickers slapped on top.

http://www.centricparts.com/prod02.htm
Old 06-20-2008, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
ohlord is right though. Cross drilled has a higher tendency to crack, doesn't mean it will but just a higher chance then blanks.

Rotors back then were crossed drilled to help cool brakes and reduce brake fade. With modern brakes, it doesn't make much of a difference anymore.

Most companies do it to give off a impression of high performance since usually only high end cars have them. Performance wise, they dont make much of a difference. THen again on the street you probably won't notice much of a difference between blanks and crossdrilled.

so just go with what suits you best.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The

reviews at the time and even the reviews of the new c63 said they had seen shorter stopping distances with less sophisticated braking system then the AMG drilled rotors.
2. The AMG rotors you got on the car were engineered by AMG to have extra material to prevent stress cracks.
http://www.frozenrotors.com/store/1657%20FZR
for $105ea. cryo treated
or $150 ea. for slotted and cryo treated
4. It might take my wagon a bit longer to get to 60mph but I bet it hauls down to 0 faster and shorter then then your L2 c55.
And with 3 times the life I will be braking safely for several years into the future and you obviously with a 3 year old car are on at least your second set.
5.I saw some place a review of the Ferrari F430 the reviewer noted that the track version had solid rotors and the street version had cross drilled and asked the factory Rep why? His reply the street car had drilled rotors for looks because that is the ascetic demanded by the non performance oriented owners.
6. Use what you like. It was only my 2 cents and experience with cryo rotors on several cars, Street and Race that had me offer an alternative that works better,lasts longer, is safer and
7. 6 years of street and track use 60k miles on slotted and dimpled brembos that I had cryo treated and still spec near new and the pads never dust.The little B just keeps kicking *** and taking names
Attached Thumbnails L2 brakes slotted and crossed drill rotors-picture-327blue.jpg  

Last edited by ohlord; 06-20-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
are not for looksunless it is a trailer queen.
Why are you guys installing cross drilled rotors?
From ebay or any bay?
With cryo rotors and the proper pads you get better braking,cooler temps and less fade.
Four hundred bucks and the labor if you don't diy,is a hefty sum to pay for longer stopping distance when tossing out the anchor at speed.
Diversified Cryogenics 888-323-8456
They will treat a set of oem rotors that will last for years and stop faster and safer then any set of drilled rotors ever will.

Somewhere between $5 pads? and the best pads you can buy for $300
Porterfield R4-S Carbon/Kevlar Brake a set are the akebonos.
Who in their right mind would trust a car with $5 brake pads?
It costs you more than that for bicycle pads.
I looked into diversified cryo (www.frozenrotors.com) when I had a brake job last year, but ultimately stuck w/ OEM. I also use Akebono euro ceramic pads, SS lines, and Motul RBF600 fluid. FYI - when you get a cryo-treated front rotor from frozen rotors, it is an OEM cross-drilled rotor.

My point on the $5 pads was missed, or I didn't articulate it well - L2's pricing doesn't make sense, in this case. The cheapest, no-name pads should run at LEAST $50-60 more... maybe closer to $80-100. I realize they're trying to offer a deal when buying a package, but the package pricing still needs to make a little bit of sense, IMHO. If it was $325 for F&R rotors and $380 for F&R everything, that would've made more sense to me (or, conversely, $375 F&R rotors, but $450 for everything... something like that).

Edit: just saw your last post w/ their pricing - keep in mind, you only quoted pricing on the rears. C32 front rotors from them are $160ish, each. So you're looking at $530ish for a full set of F&R rotors. I'll probably go this route the next time I need new rotors, but for now my OEM's are fine - and I paid about $360 for OEM F&R rotors from Performance Products. Frozen rotors would've been almost 50% more, which is why I didn't use them last time. Also, I think it's well-documented that cryo rotors are more durable (i.e. last longer), but I've never seen anyone make the lofty "shorter-stopping distances" claim - I'd highly doubt there'd be any measureable difference. While on that topic - are you sure you want to test your wagon against a C32 or C55 for braking distances? Some of these cars are riding on 140-treadwear tires - and IIRC tires are proven to potentially be the single largest factor in shortening (or lengthening) stopping distances...

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 06-20-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
reviews at the time and even the reviews of the new c63 said they had seen shorter stopping distances with less sophisticated braking system then the AMG drilled rotors.
2. The AMG rotors you got on the car were engineered by AMG to have extra material to prevent stress cracks.
http://www.frozenrotors.com/store/1657%20FZR
for $105ea. cryo treated
or $150 ea. for slotted and cryo treated
4. It might take my wagon a bit longer to get to 60mph but I bet it hauls down to 0 faster and shorter then then your L2 c55.
And with 3 times the life I will be braking safely for several years into the future and you obviously with a 3 year old car are on at least your second set.
5.I saw some place a review of the Ferrari F430 the reviewer noted that the track version had solid rotors and the street version had cross drilled and asked the factory Rep why? His reply the street car had drilled rotors for looks because that is the ascetic demanded by the non performance oriented owners.
6. Use what you like. It was only my 2 cents and experience with cryo rotors on several cars, Street and Race that had me offer an alternative that works better,lasts longer, is safer and
7. 6 years of street and track use 60k miles on slotted and dimpled brembos that I had cryo treated and still spec near new and the pads never dust.The little B just keeps kicking *** and taking names
This is why I really like this forum you get educated on pretty much anything

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: L2 brakes slotted and crossed drill rotors