CryO2 kits?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
CryO2 kits?

What do you guys think about Cryo2 kits? I know nothing about them other than my friend was talking about one. Would be a nice idea out here in AZ were its 110+ in the summer to have true cold air entering the intake.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Article from Turbo magazine:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/insidet...yo2/index.html

Cryo2 Cryogenic Intake System - Chill 2 Win
Cryo2: Cryogenic Intake System

all contributors: Robert Choo

Over a decade ago I was sitting in the far back corner of my high school chemistry class trying to keep my eyes open after a night at the street races. What can I say, I was young. My teacher was going on and on about how when oxygen molecules heat up they become excited and bounce against each other trying to stay apart from each other. However, on the flip side, when oxygen molecules are cooled they move slower and bounce off each other at a slower rate causing them to become more compacted. Even though I got an "A" in the class I didn't really understand the significance of heated oxygen molecules vs. cooled oxygen molecules when I installed my first turbo kit on my Integra a couple years later, as a college student.

Any keen driver will notice their car generally performs better at night than during the day. Why is that you ask? Well, going back to my chemistry class, with cooler temperatures at night the oxygen molecules are less excited resulting in them sticking closer together than during the heat of the day. With the air being more densely packed with oxygen for the engine to consume the more power the engine is capable of making. As we all know it takes oxygen and fuel to make horsepower.

Some might argue the reason the car performs better is because the engine is running cooler. Yes, but only to a degree. The vehicle's cooling system generally does not vary the engine temperature dramatically. Case in point, if you were in a controlled environment (i.e. engine dyno) and you could control the temperature of the engine and the temperature of the air being consumed by the engine. By performing two dyno runs, one with the engine consuming 100 degree Fahrenheit air and one consuming 70 degree Fahrenheit air the dyno run with the colder intake air will make more power. As a general rule of thumb with each 11-degree drop of air intake temperature you can roughly expect a one percent increase in horsepower.

With that being said, DEI has recognized the importance of thermal cooling and has built its business around cooling products. The company's flagship product is their CryO2 intake system. The CryO2 system is designed to reduce air and fuel temperatures. In return, the engine is capable of generating more power. By utilizing liquid carbon dioxide (CO2), well known for its cryogenic properties, the CryO2 system is able to cool both the charge air through the use of a Cryogenic Air Intake and Cryogenic Intercooler Sprayer as well as fuel temperatures through the use of a Fuel Bar. Other companies have used the cryogenic properties of nitrous oxide to cool the intercooler. However, nitrous is considerably more expensive than CO2 when it comes to refilling the bottle.

We decided to put the CryO2 system to the test on our Project Celica and see what resulted on the dyno. Our Blitz-supercharged Celica generates roughly 200 horsepower to the wheels.

Since DEI designed the CryO2 system as a modular system the user is able to install one, two, or three Air Intakes in the system or have two Intercooler Sprayers and so forth.

For our CryO2 system we installed one Air Intake and one Intercooler Sprayer. By data logging the air and water temperatures using our OBD-Rx (for a more in-depth article of the OBD-Rx, see page 48) we are able to get a record of the air intake temperatures from the beginning of the run to the end.

The Blitz intercooler does an impressive job reducing the charge temperatures on its own. We noticed the intake temperatures staying pretty constant from the beginning to the end of the run. Granted, we were only running the engine in third gear from 2000 rpm to redline so the Blitz front-mount intercooler was not even close to getting heat soaked during such a short run.

To show the importance of cooler air intake temperatures we performed five back-to-back runs. The intake temperature rose from 80 degrees after the first run to 109 degrees by the end of the fifth. We also saw our horsepower drop from 196.9 to 192.0 over those same runs.

After a six-second burst from the CryO2 system we performed a dyno run immediately after the last of the five runs and noticed air intake temperatures dropped instantly to 72 degrees. The Celica's horsepower jumped up to 198.9, an increase of 7.9 over the heat-soaked hot run. We should also note that peak power was better than the first cold run by 2.0 horsepower.

We wouldn't be surprised if the intake temperatures would have dropped even further if we used two Air Intakes, one before and one after the intercooler. We should also mention another side benefits of the CryO2 system. With cooler charge air the engine is less prone to detonation, increasing engine reliability.

DEI has proven the importance and benefits of having cooler charge air with their CryO2 system. Our testing of the CryO2 system was performed on a cool 70-degree day. We can only imagine the bigger difference it will make on a 90-plus degree day. For vehicles like the WRX and FC RX-7s with a top-mount intercooler, not to mention naturally aspirated or non-intercooled supercharged cars, the CryO2 system would most likely be greatly beneficial.

And to give you an idea of a past group buy on another forum:
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=ST&f=29&t=16541
Attached Thumbnails CryO2 kits?-cryo2_diagram.jpg  
Old 07-03-2008, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
looks interesting

I'm going to look into it as well and see if there is anyone near me that has done a few installs.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I guess it makes more sense for a car with an intercooler as you can ice up your intercooler and have colder denser air. It would be nice get back some of the power this AZ heat is eating away.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dont know

looks modular so its not just for intercooler but also air intake. So I don't think it has to be better if you have an intercooler.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The question

How long does a tank of CO2 last?Looks like a bunch of fancy gizmos to be installed for 5h.p. gain.Do you think that for any appreciable
length of time you can combat Arizona heat with a small tank of CO2?
More wallet streamlining
ohlord
If you are racing the car in 11-12 second blasts and really want the power back,you know what to install and where to put the button
and the controller
http://www.holley.com/15975NOS.asp
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by ohlord
How long does a tank of CO2 last?Looks like a bunch of fancy gizmos to be installed for 5h.p. gain.Do you think that for any appreciable
length of time you can combat Arizona heat with a small tank of CO2?
More wallet streamlining
ohlord
If you are racing the car in 11-12 second blasts and really want the power back,you know what to install and where to put the button
and the controller
http://www.holley.com/15975NOS.asp
+1,Might as well use the real thing,lol!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I dont think of this as say a fake NO2 set up rather a way to get back the power the 110 degree heat is eating up. Kinda like the way your car feels on a fall morning (as video described it on you tube) except its in 100+ degree heat. Not to mention on an intercooled car the purge looks killer IMO. would be nice to get 50 degree air in motor on a 100 degree day. you can set it up on the underside of the hood to cool down your SC rather than slapping a bag of ice on it. Or you could have a few locations set up to cryo the whole engine rather than wait in the pits with your hood open trying to cool the motor down between races. anyway dont think i will ever do it but its kind of a cool idea.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not a substitute

for NOS in my opinion. This doesn't affect you Air/Fuel directly ... only by making the air temperature lower giving the air a denser charge. While it clearly doesn't give anything like a NOS benefit ... it also looks like there is no risk.

I agree with hooley this is just to simulate low temp running during a hot day.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
can this be thrown directly into water? Kinda like throwing ice in the water...
Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
I thought ChiroMikey tried this and it didnt produce good results?
Old 07-04-2008, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by JAYCL600
I thought ChiroMikey tried this and it didnt produce good results?
Are yo sure?, It would chill the water kinda like Ice. I will ask him.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 c32 99 superduty
Not to get OT here but when I was at the track yesterday and it was 102 degrees out I borrowed a fellow racers weed sprayer and sprayed my radiator and heat exchanger and it made a huge difference after sitting for 45 minutes. My radiator and heat exchanger were cold to the touch. I am going to purchase one and fill it with ice next time I go.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by c3232c
Not to get OT here but when I was at the track yesterday and it was 102 degrees out I borrowed a fellow racers weed sprayer and sprayed my radiator and heat exchanger and it made a huge difference after sitting for 45 minutes. My radiator and heat exchanger were cold to the touch. I am going to purchase one and fill it with ice next time I go.
Weed sprayer like one to spray weeds? like one you can get at home depot?
Old 07-05-2008, 03:12 PM

02 c32 99 superduty
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Weed sprayer like one to spray weeds? like one you can get at home depot?
Yes sir, My car had gone from around 225 degrees to 175 just sitting there with everything sprayed down. I see a lot of racers using them on hot days.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
I've been thinking of rerouting the windshield washer lines with new finer spraying nozzles. I don't like to use them anyways, since it makes more mess than just breaking out the glass cleaner. I was thinking either one on the S/C, and one split off into two with wide angled sprayers on the H/E, or for the bigger challenge, tapped into the intake manifolds with methanol. the most convenient part is there is no need for wiring or new switches. The only thing Im not sure of is the differences between the pumps and nozzles used on the real sprayer kits.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
STI's have sprayers on them
Old 07-05-2008, 04:06 PM

02 c32 99 superduty
Originally Posted by calimax
I've been thinking of rerouting the windshield washer lines with new finer spraying nozzles. I don't like to use them anyways, since it makes more mess than just breaking out the glass cleaner. I was thinking either one on the S/C, and one split off into two with wide angled sprayers on the H/E, or for the bigger challenge, tapped into the intake manifolds with methanol. the most convenient part is there is no need for wiring or new switches. The only thing Im not sure of is the differences between the pumps and nozzles used on the real sprayer kits.
Thats's funny I have been thinking about that as well. But using the headlight washers instead, Things are useless otherwise.

Last edited by c3232c; 07-05-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 07-07-2008, 02:41 PM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
STI's have sprayers on them
The only time i ever use the sprayers is after i leave my car sitting for awhile. Since the STI uses a TMIC, that ***** gets hot as hell if you let it sit after driving.

when you're moving, there's plenty of air going through it to keep things cool. I'm also not sure if its worthwhile to spray while the car is moving. it seems like the water would just get blown right past the intercooler.

nobody really uses the CO2 intercooler/cooler on the subaru forums. we go for the more direct approach. Meth injection
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM

I have tried this years ago. Not worth the money. since we have an air to water setup the co2 or no2 you spray on the heat exchanger can not effectively cool, the fluid. If we had an air to air system this would be another story.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
The only time i ever use the sprayers is after i leave my car sitting for awhile. Since the STI uses a TMIC, that ***** gets hot as hell if you let it sit after driving.

when you're moving, there's plenty of air going through it to keep things cool. I'm also not sure if its worthwhile to spray while the car is moving. it seems like the water would just get blown right past the intercooler.

nobody really uses the CO2 intercooler/cooler on the subaru forums. we go for the more direct approach. Meth injection
correct me if im wrong I dont have an STI, but dont they have a water sprayer under the hood that spays the intercooler?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:05 AM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
correct me if im wrong I dont have an STI, but dont they have a water sprayer under the hood that spays the intercooler?
yup they do. You press a button to get a 3 second burst. too bad It doesn't stay on, and it doesn't spray automatically either.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by c3232c
Sorry to revive old thread. I have been thinking about the same thing lately. May I ask, did you let the car run or run the intercooler pump or just spray and let it sit?

Ice bags works very well but I was looking for an alternative. I wonder if anyone has rerouted the windshield sprayers to spray the actual supercharger? Water extracts a ton of heat from these blowers. Thanks.