C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another dealership horror story..advice?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
You could turn it in to your insurance carrier. They’ll send you to a good body shop, who will either pull the bumper and send it to a plastic welder, or order a new one. The insurer will go after the dealer, and you’ll get your deductable refunded. At that point, I’d never visit that dealer again. Not that I’m distrustful, but another dealership may better suit your needs.

Besides, do you really want to continue to use a dealer who destroys your property and then gives the car back like nothing happened?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55 AMG
I'll be curious to hear the outcome. As for how it happened, I can tell you what likely took place. They parked it over a curb or parking block. When I bought my car it was parked touching the high curb, and had the same damage on one side. Since then, I've managed to put a matching crack on the other side, per a piece of rebar sticking up on a concrete parking block, which caught the bottom of my spoiler/bumber when backing up and ripped it the same way.

I am now very consciencious of how I park the car in relation to curbs, etc. I am furious that I duplicated the damage on the other side of mine, and have already purchased expoxies, etc, to do the repair myself. It obviously won't be perfect, but I'm certainly not going to pay over $1k for someone else to repair it w/ a new piece.

In your case, there should be no out-of-pocket costs, and I agree w/ everyone that the dealer should have to replace the front skirt/spoiler and repaint it accordingly. You didn't have any damage when you took it to them, thererfore you should expect to get your car back in the same condition, and not with a "bandage" job. If they are insistent on only repairing it via a patch job vs. a replacement, then you need to demand a written document that guarantees all workmanship for the extent of your ownership of the car, barring any self-imposed damage following their repair. In other words, they need to guarantee it won't fade, crack, split, flake, or anything in between...

Let us know the outcome please.
J
Old 07-27-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 C63 Coupe
long story short i dropped off the car and they are bringing it to a certified mercedes benz body shop next door to the dealership. The repair will be warrantied for as long as i own the vehicle. I pick it up on monday or tuesday and i will post pics of the before and after. thanks for everyones input.