C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

JR-Industries Pillar Pod C32/Slk32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Originally Posted by evilsaint
So, how about 'dem single pods? Just a boost gauge would be tremendously fun to have, situated at the bottom of the A-pillar. Any idea on what the cost might be around, or how tough the installation might be?
I do not have a price yet but our Crossfire pillars range from $230- $255 primed. We will be working on a single, dual and a triple. This whole airbag in the A pillar scares me. I know it just moves out of the way but I would hate for the gauges to come flying out and hit the passenger or driver. Would make for a bad day
Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c55amg, 2000 clk430, 2002 clk55amg, 2008 clk63amg black series
i just want my 3 gauge a pillar pod in carbon fiber for my C55
Old 09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by SRT6
I do not have a price yet but our Crossfire pillars range from $230- $255 primed. We will be working on a single, dual and a triple. This whole airbag in the A pillar scares me. I know it just moves out of the way but I would hate for the gauges to come flying out and hit the passenger or driver. Would make for a bad day
I though about this and FrankW has a valid point, however none of us have seen the airbag come out from the pillar
I belive the airbag would inflate from the outside of the pillar which would at most push the gauge pod out of the way. I THINK most of you are assuming it will burst out of the middle of the pillar as if it were a steering wheel,door insert or glovebox. The pillar airbag is similar to a curtain.

Again this is the scenario that is played in my head, i do not know for sure or profess to be an expert in side airbag deployment. For once i hope I have contributed positively to this thread.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM

2005 c55amg, 2000 clk430, 2002 clk55amg, 2008 clk63amg black series
Originally Posted by moosejaw
I though about this and FrankW has a valid point, however none of us have seen the airbag come out from the pillar
I belive the airbag would inflate from the outside of the pillar which would at most push the gauge pod out of the way. I THINK most of you are assuming it will burst out of the middle of the pillar as if it were a steering wheel,door insert or glovebox. The pillar airbag is similar to a curtain.

Again this is the scenario that is played in my head, i do not know for sure or profess to be an expert in side airbag deployment. For once i hope I have contributed positively to this thread.
maybe we can get some feedback on this subject from a MB mechanic or shop foreman?
Old 09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
wow thought it be cheaper....I guess it may be cheaper if dual or single...
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by calimax
I wouldn't worry about that. In my 03 C320, all the left side air bags (minus the steering wheel) went off. The pillar does not come off when deploying that air bag, it just moves a little out of the way. So if the pillar pod was secured enough, it wouldn't go anywhere.
uh, maybe you guys skipped over my post, but I have first hand experience with that. Only the edge of the air bag is in that part of the pillar. It extends from the front pillar, through the headliner and ends at the rear pillar. The pillar cover moves 1-2 inches from the top to allow room for the air bag to deploy.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:35 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
lol, if you think the gages flying out and hitting anyone would make for a bad day, thats likley to be the least of their pain/problems! If the gages are loaded in from the rear of the pod pillar and secured to a bracket, they arn't going anywhere. The question I have for you is, Will this pod be an attachment to the existing cover, or be a replacement cover?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Just a question for E55 Applications

Does JR produce a Double or Triple Pod Design for us E55 guys finished with Gray Alcantra to match our Headliners & Pillars??? Does JR also produce the actual gauges and kits to wire??? What available Gauges are available for E55??? Sorry for all the questions... Thank you, Joseph
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 AM

srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Originally Posted by calimax
lol, if you think the gages flying out and hitting anyone would make for a bad day, thats likley to be the least of their pain/problems! If the gages are loaded in from the rear of the pod pillar and secured to a bracket, they arn't going anywhere. The question I have for you is, Will this pod be an attachment to the existing cover, or be a replacement cover?
We usually have a core charge or people just pay for another pillar. We take that pillar and fiberglass and fill our pods into the pillars. We tried to do an overlay set up with fiberglass it just wasnt going to work or be as sturdy as we wanted it. Pretty much the only way is to take an exhisting pillar, hack it up on our end and then have it painted or wrapped fabric...

PM sent liny_E55
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
I am surprised to see this much activity on this topic. I tried to help out a while ago for a w203 pillar pod, but never finished it do to lack of interest. I made the vacuum form buck and was going to start pulling some examples – but no one seemed to want it. I was going for a pretty “standard” look in an ABS plastic that would be affixed to the current pillar.

It could eb covered or painted if needed...

I see no SRS warning on the A pillar, and the current OEM part has a full set of lift slide created tab snaps on the back of the OEM pillar. I can not see it being a cover to an airbag – I can imagine it being leveraged out on the top for the head curtain…FrankW please confirm what you know.

Thanks all and good luck!
Jake

(These are OLD images from the start of the mold buck for the vacuum former)
Attached Thumbnails JR-Industries Pillar Pod C32/Slk32-dash-side.jpg   JR-Industries Pillar Pod C32/Slk32-driver-view.jpg   JR-Industries Pillar Pod C32/Slk32-glass-side.jpg  
Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
I am surprised to see this much activity on this topic. I tried to help out a while ago for a w203 pillar pod, but never finished it do to lack of interest. I made the vacuum form buck and was going to start pulling some examples – but no one seemed to want it. I was going for a pretty “standard” look in an ABS plastic that would be affixed to the current pillar.

It could eb covered or painted if needed...

I see no SRS warning on the A pillar, and the current OEM part has a full set of lift slide created tab snaps on the back of the OEM pillar. I can not see it being a cover to an airbag – I can imagine it being leveraged out on the top for the head curtain…FrankW please confirm what you know.

Thanks all and good luck!
Jake

(These are OLD images from the start of the mold buck for the vacuum former)

We have put much time and effort into the crossfire. There is no way around hand building these. We bought a plastic molding machine and did a couple pulls of my clay mold, gel coat mold, and handmade mold. ALL of the pulls had webbing regardless of all the variables we changed. Our first option was an overlay, it was to flimsy and the thicker we went with either fiber or HIP plastic the worse it looked. We looked into injection molding, but the numbers are not there, we would lose money.

The only option has become modify the stock pillar. Yes it is expensive, Yes each one is custom built, Yes they all take me about 2 weeks to make, but the end product is flawless I have had no complaints. There has been tons of interest on the crossfireforum most throw up red flags right away when they saw the price, and some attacked me for gouging. The only real reason this got off the ground was people (from the forum) put their money up for me to make them, and I made nothing off my time. Outside of the groupbuy price I added a little for my time I think $60. This turns out to be about 6- 7 dollars an hour, FOR CUSTOM FIBERGLASS WORK lol. Bottom line is no one is going to pay $500 for these pillars and I am not going to sell 400 of them. I just enjoy making them and seeing my work in people’s cars.
Attached Thumbnails JR-Industries Pillar Pod C32/Slk32-2e16u02.jpg  

Last edited by SRT6; 09-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
We have put much time and effort into the crossfire. There is no way around hand building these. We bought a plastic molding machine and did a couple pulls of my clay mold, gel coat mold, and handmade mold. ALL of the pulls had webbing regardless of all the variables we changed. Our first option was an overlay, it was to flimsy and the thicker we went with either fiber or HIP plastic the worse it looked. We looked into injection molding, but the numbers are not there, we would lose money.

The only option has become modify the stock pillar. Yes it is expensive, Yes each one is custom built, Yes they all take me about 2 weeks to make, but the end product is flawless I have had no complaints. There has been tons of interest on the crossfireforum most throw up red flags right away when they saw the price, and some attacked me for gouging. The only real reason this got off the ground was people (from the forum) put their money up for me to make them, and I made nothing off my time. Outside of the groupbuy price I added a little for my time I think $60. This turns out to be about 6- 7 dollars an hour, FOR CUSTOM FIBERGLASS WORK lol. Bottom line is no one is going to pay $500 for these pillars and I am not going to sell 400 of them. I just enjoy making them and seeing my work in people’s cars.
Sucks to be in that kind of situation, but honestly, they look fantastic - I'd assume that the build quality truly is just as good - so why not just let the results speak for themselves? It has worked out pretty well for Code3 and LET, right?

Just about anybody on the forums here would be more than happy to pay a slight premium for a high-quality product (especially considering our alternatives...), so I would have to say go for it, if it doesn't violate any forum rules. Hell, I'd be more than happy to set something up with you for a custom single pod (at the bottom, preferably), fronting the $ for it obviously, and do a review of sorts if that would work for you? PM me with any details you have and hopefully we can get something going. Another great line of "home-brew" products for our cars would only add to the modding madness and put us all in better positions for choices for our cars