C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Warning for no front plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK550
Warning for no front plate

LaGrange Park cops are notorious *****s when it comes to no front plates. So, on the way home from the chiropractor this morning, I get pulled over in LaGrange Park. Cop tells me he pulled me over for no front plate. I told him that there's no place to mount a front plate on my car, which there isn't.

So he says I have to drill holes in my bumper to get the plate mounted. He gives me a warning, and tells me I have 7 days to get it done and come by the police station. Apparently an officer has to inspect and sign off on it. If I don't do this within 7 days, "a warrant will be issued for your arrest."

Arrest me for no front plate? You've gotta be kidding.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Do you have any friends at the station? Paperwork gets misfiled all the time....
A warrant for no plate? Technically they "could". Not likely however, as I'm sure your location in the Chicagoland area has the clerks pretty busy. Make a new friend over there and have the paperwork dissapear. Thats your best bet....till the same cop pulls you over in a couple weeks again.lol

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 08-11-2008 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
mount it magnetically so you can take it off when you want to after you get your ticket fixed
Old 08-11-2008, 01:01 PM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
There is a license plate holder that screws into the front tow access panel. They make it for Mercedes also. Call em and let us know. Not sure if you have enough time but maybe it will help.
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MB.html
Attached Thumbnails Warning for no front plate-towplatebracket_d2x2715.jpg   Warning for no front plate-towplatestud_d2x2712.jpg   Warning for no front plate-towportopen_d2x2711.jpg   Warning for no front plate-towport_d2x2710.jpg  
Old 08-11-2008, 01:15 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
been down that road, if u know some one at a mill that can cut and weld a sheet of metal u can get this made for like $20 max. I took an extra tow hitch cut the loop and welded a sheet metal on it and then mounted the plate on the sheet metal it looks like this...

its goes on and gives the look that the plate is properly mounted.
its that easy, and u can have it made with in a hour, it come on and off easily so u can put it on every time u drive or just leave it on.

Last edited by Harry Madan; 08-11-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
I did the same thing for my wife's C-Class this weekend. She was pulled over and given a "Verbal Warning" to mount the plate. I was not about to drill holes in the bumper so I welded up this braket with my dad...Tried to get it to "look" OEM and still see the impact strip chrome, the fog light and let the lower grille get the most air intake...

Not necessary to have a front plate!
Jake
Attached Thumbnails Warning for no front plate-tow_eye_plate_1.jpg   Warning for no front plate-tow_eye_plate_2.jpg  

Last edited by BF_JC230; 08-11-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by loungn14
mount it magnetically so you can take it off when you want to after you get your ticket fixed
Isn't it true that you have to pay $25 something for processing fee even it's a fixing ticket as I remember I got one for light couple years ago?

Why they need front plate when there is one in rear. If the cop has to chase, he doesn't look at the front one any way????
Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
Isn't it true that you have to pay $25 something for processing fee even it's a fixing ticket as I remember I got one for light couple years ago?

Why they need front plate when there is one in rear. If the cop has to chase, he doesn't look at the front one any way????

Yep in SF you do, i got one not tooo long ago, what i did was to mount the front plate on to the front bumper grill, simple use two size 10mm bolt& nuts, mount the plate rite over the front bumper mesh grill. Take it off when ur done with ur Fix tickt, and pay the dammm 25$ dollars.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by RedBull
LaGrange Park cops are notorious *****s when it comes to no front plates. So, on the way home from the chiropractor this morning, I get pulled over in LaGrange Park. Cop tells me he pulled me over for no front plate. I told him that there's no place to mount a front plate on my car, which there isn't.

So he says I have to drill holes in my bumper to get the plate mounted. He gives me a warning, and tells me I have 7 days to get it done and come by the police station. Apparently an officer has to inspect and sign off on it. If I don't do this within 7 days, "a warrant will be issued for your arrest."

Arrest me for no front plate? You've gotta be kidding.
Thanks for the info

I been lucky so far...
Old 08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
I did the same thing for my wife's C-Class this weekend. She was pulled over and given a "Verbal Warning" to mount the plate. I was not about to drill holes in the bumper so I welded up this braket with my dad...Tried to get it to "look" OEM and still see the impact strip chrome, the fog light and let the lower grille get the most air intake...

STUPID to have a front plate!
Jake

Cool idea...you should post whats all u did.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by CLKCLK

as stupid as it sounds its actually for the traffic cams and the ipass cams here in illinois, as well as for deflecting radar

gotta make that money
Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
been down that road, if u know some one at a mill that can cut and weld a sheet of metal u can get this made for like $20 max. I took an extra tow hitch cut the loop and welded a sheet metal on it and then mounted the plate on the sheet metal it looks like this...

its that easy, and u can have it made with in a hour, it come on and off easily so u can put it on every time u drive or just leave it on.

please add info on how to ok.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by loungn14
as stupid as it sounds its actually for the traffic cams and the ipass cams here in illinois, as well as for deflecting radar

gotta make that money
money,money,money isn't our taxes enough?
Old 08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
What my dad and I did…

If you don’t have a welder or chop saw – this may be a little hard…

1. Remove front cover from impact strip from the bottom edge with thin soft tool
2. Purchase spare toe eye PN 220-628-01-35 and install it into frame
3. Measure how far out you want it from car front – REMEMBER you need mounting hardware and this will all “spin” back into location. If you want to follow the natural curve of the fascia like I did – so be it – it is “custom” work
4. Mark your line on the spare tow eye to be cut
5. Hack Saw cuts the toe eye rather well and is easier than making clamp for chop saw
6. Use chop saw to cut flat stock to be welded to cut tow eye and tapped for license plate
7. Drill and tap flat stock to accept stainless hardware – using a nice license plate frame as a template
8. Mark the location relative to the front graphics of the vehicle to make it look “most OEM” in my case – Under chrome trim, following fascia bumper line, not to block grille or fog lamp – Mark location of cut tow eye to flat stock
9. Tack tow eye to flat stock – Check fit
10. Weld tow eye to flat stock – then prime and paint assembly
11. Mount plate and frame to new holder assembly
12. Add a tad of lock tight to threads and install

PLEASE NOTE – we are working up a “better” idea as one killer flaw in this design is if you have a slight impact to the front you could compromise your frame rail attachment threads for the tow eye if you need it…

I know most of NY is set up for ALL states with rear plate identification, but some cruisers have real time plate recognition from the front and I truly feel the front plate is not at all needed – wanted by some legislation – but not needed…I am sure it is in fact loved by some – while hated by others…

Good luck all,
Jake
Old 08-11-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by BF_JC230
What my dad and I did…

If you don’t have a welder or chop saw – this may be a little hard…

1. Remove front cover from impact strip from the bottom edge with thin soft tool
2. Purchase spare toe eye PN 220-628-01-35 and install it into frame
3. Measure how far out you want it from car front – REMEMBER you need mounting hardware and this will all “spin” back into location. If you want to follow the natural curve of the fascia like I did – so be it – it is “custom” work
4. Mark your line on the spare tow eye to be cut
5. Hack Saw cuts the toe eye rather well and is easier than making clamp for chop saw
6. Use chop saw to cut flat stock to be welded to cut tow eye and tapped for license plate
7. Drill and tap flat stock to accept stainless hardware – using a nice license plate frame as a template
8. Mark the location relative to the front graphics of the vehicle to make it look “most OEM” in my case – Under chrome trim, following fascia bumper line, not to block grille or fog lamp – Mark location of cut tow eye to flat stock
9. Tack tow eye to flat stock – Check fit
10. Weld tow eye to flat stock – then prime and paint assembly
11. Mount plate and frame to new holder assembly
12. Add a tad of lock tight to threads and install

PLEASE NOTE – we are working up a “better” idea as one killer flaw in this design is if you have a slight impact to the front you could compromise your frame rail attachment threads for the tow eye if you need it…

I know most of NY is set up for ALL states with rear plate identification, but some cruisers have real time plate recognition from the front and I truly feel the front plate is not at all needed – wanted by some legislation – but not needed…I am sure it is in fact loved by some – while hated by others…

Good luck all,
Jake
Old 08-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '89 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
You could always move to Arizona where we don't need front plates. But given the rate at which cities and the state are adding photo radar in an effort to balance budgets (so much for the safety argument!) it's only a matter of time until we need one too.

Not that it works all the time anyway. The American wife got a ticket some time ago at LAX for no front tag on an AZ car. I guess the LAPD don't get out much to see how the rest of the country lives. I was glad to hear that they'd solved all their other crimes though.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 Designo 030
You can temporarily attached the license plate bracket with velcro, take it to the station, get the warning taken care of and continue with your life.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
You can temporarily attached the license plate bracket with velcro, take it to the station, get the warning taken care of and continue with your life.
I did that, here is So Cal, and the sheriff just yanked it off and would not sign off on it. He said the plate had to be permanently affixed to the vehicle.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by ScottW911
I did that, here is So Cal, and the sheriff just yanked it off and would not sign off on it. He said the plate had to be permanently affixed to the vehicle.

That would have been funny as hell to see. You should have brought a box of donuts with you and probably would have been signed off on!

At least in CA you can show it to any peace officer (at least you used to be able to) and get the ticket signed off on. Years ago, I got a fix it ticket and had my neighor sign off on it.... he laughed and shook his head and said that it was a pretty chicken **** ticket to get.......he was a cop in Compton that had many other things to worry about rather than if someone had a front plate on or not.......
Old 08-11-2008, 06:19 PM

CLK550
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
There is a license plate holder that screws into the front tow access panel. They make it for Mercedes also. Call em and let us know. Not sure if you have enough time but maybe it will help.
http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MB.html
I think I'll probably go this route. Thanks for the link. If I don't get it before 7 days, then oh well. They can come arrest me for not having a front plate.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
sounded sooo funny, i can image what the sheriff did to your front plates hahahah talk about bad luck.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
sounded sooo funny, i can image what the sheriff did to your front plates hahahah talk about bad luck.
I had used industrial Velcro so the turd had to struggle yank it off. He handed me a twisted, bent plate and told me, "nice try."
Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 PM

CLK550
I had used industrial Velcro so the turd had to struggle yank it off. He handed me a twisted, bent plate and told me, "nice try."
I'm sorry, but I would have laughed if I had seen that.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 PM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Originally Posted by Harry Madan

want 2 tr4d3 h34d l1ghts with m3?

Those look ballin compared to my "non clear ones".
How much were they?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
We are not laughing at you; we're laughing with you.

Seems as if you’re still having trouble keeping it attached -

photo credit MJ50

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warning for no front plate