C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How long does the C32 alternator usually last?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
How long does the C32 alternator usually last?

Hey!

Was driving on Friday when suddenly a message comes on the C32 multifunction display saying something like "charging system fault." A few minutes later, it says, "Warning, low voltage, consumer fault."

I am thinking that my alternator died. I have 57K miles on the car. Does this sound like the alternator to you? If so, anyone know where to get the best deal on an alternator?

Gracias
Old 08-31-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by Vomit
Hey!

Was driving on Friday when suddenly a message comes on the C32 multifunction display saying something like "charging system fault." A few minutes later, it says, "Warning, low voltage, consumer fault."

I am thinking that my alternator died. I have 57K miles on the car. Does this sound like the alternator to you? If so, anyone know where to get the best deal on an alternator?

Gracias
I could be the alternator - I had mine replaced at 60K. It was under warranty at the time so I don't have any information for you regarding a good deal on one.
However, when was the last time you replaced the battery? If it's the original in a 2002 C32, it's probably near the end of it's useful life.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
I could be the alternator - I had mine replaced at 60K. It was under warranty at the time so I don't have any information for you regarding a good deal on one.
However, when was the last time you replaced the battery? If it's the original in a 2002 C32, it's probably near the end of it's useful life.
Mine went out at 60K also. It was not covered under warranty though.

Vomit, that was the exact same malfunction notification I received. The only way to tell for sure was to test for voltage output at the shop.

The dealer wanted about $1600 to replace. I did a little homework and found an independent to do it for about $600. Be warned though, the C32 uses a very specific alternator (with a non-replaceable voltage regulator) made by Valeo. You can't use the cheaper Bosch.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Thanks for the info folks. My battery is a couple of years old (Optima), so I am pretty sure that the battery is not the problem. Sounds like 60K is about when the alternator gives up the ghost.

Anyone know if the C32 alternator replacement is a DIY job (I am not a mechanic, but am capable)?

Anyone have any specifics on where to get the best deal on the alternator (the part itself)? There must be someone online selling them.(?)

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Mine went out at 60K also. It was not covered under warranty though.

Vomit, that was the exact same malfunction notification I received. The only way to tell for sure was to test for voltage output at the shop.

The dealer wanted about $1600 to replace. I did a little homework and found an independent to do it for about $600. Be warned though, the C32 uses a very specific alternator (with a non-replaceable voltage regulator) made by Valeo. You can't use the cheaper Bosch.
I searched "C32 Alternator" and found another thread in which someone purchased the Bosch (part number AL0787X) from Autohausaz.com. I fed the info into the Autohausaz part finder system, and the Bosch unit is the one that comes up. Are you sure that the Bosch won't work?
Old 09-01-2008, 12:16 PM

I searched "C32 Alternator" and found another thread in which someone purchased the Bosch (part number AL0787X) from Autohausaz.com. I fed the info into the Autohausaz part finder system, and the Bosch unit is the one that comes up. Are you sure that the Bosch won't work?
ScottW911 is correct. The Bosch unit definitely will not work (at least in the long-term; it doesn't put out enough voltage). Several forum members here have tried the Bosch unit. To my knowledge, it has been a truck-load of fail in each case.

For the C32, you need part # 112-154-02-02-88. This is the Valeo unit.

FWIW, here's a link where you can supposedly purchase the Valeo unit for $276.89. Personally, I think this is the pricing for the Bosch unit and it could be a mistake on the website - I'd call them and verify. If it is the right part (i.e. it's the Valeo unit), I'd snap it up because that's very cheap for a Valeo unit.

Also, I'm still not convinced that these alternators can't be remanufactured/reconditioned (if it's not a voltage regulator issue). When you remove your old alternator, please save it. If you don't want to check into repairing it, please allow me - I'll pay for shipping. If I can get it fixed, I'll give it back to you.

Last edited by boohooramblers; 09-01-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32, G60 Corrado
I had the same problem about a month ago. It is most likely the alternator. I got mine from alleuropeanautoparts.com for $284 shipped, It is the correct Valeo unit and it comes with the poly on itm and it is new one not a rebuild. There is thread out there by FAIRFAXC32 I believe with a DIY. I am going to attempt to install it myself, hopefully today. I'll post my finding on how easy or difficult it is on my original thread. Hope this helps.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
ScottW911 is correct. The Bosch unit definitely will not work (at least in the long-term; it doesn't put out enough voltage). Several forum members here have tried the Bosch unit. To my knowledge, it has been a truck-load of fail in each case.

For the C32, you need part # 112-154-02-02-88. This is the Valeo unit.

FWIW, here's a link where you can supposedly purchase the Valeo unit for $276.89. Personally, I think this is the pricing for the Bosch unit and it could be a mistake on the website - I'd call them and verify. If it is the right part (i.e. it's the Valeo unit), I'd snap it up because that's very cheap for a Valeo unit.

Also, I'm still not convinced that these alternators can't be remanufactured/reconditioned (if it's not a voltage regulator issue). When you remove your old alternator, please save it. If you don't want to check into repairing it, please allow me - I'll pay for shipping. If I can get it fixed, I'll give it back to you.

I have the Bosch unit on mine and it's been fine

my original died at about 50k miles with similar symptoms
Old 09-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

My technician did the same thing. When he received the new Bosch unit, he found that it would not work and had to re-order the Valeo. I would just play it safe and get the Valeo, even if others feel the Bosch may work.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
I would replace the voltage regulator (usually a $20.00-$30.00 part) before I would do a alternator swap.I find it hard to believe a alternator would go in 5 years.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by C43AMG
I would replace the voltage regulator (usually a $20.00-$30.00 part) before I would do a alternator swap.I find it hard to believe a alternator would go in 5 years.
Not to be a jerk, but, read above. The C32's alternator does not have a replaceable voltage regulator.

I found out the expensive way.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Not to be a jerk, but, read above. The C32's alternator does not have a replaceable voltage regulator.

I found out the expensive way.
.....my bad.......you are correct!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Hey!

Gracias
I can't comment on this in our C32 but had something like this happen to another import I own and it was the regulator- in that case it was easily fixed. I see others had issues at 60k miles. I'm hitting 59k miles. So, who
knows what's around the corner.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I ordered the Valeo today from alleuropeanautoparts.com for $284 (free ship). Thanks to all of you who chipped in your .02!!

I will post my comments regarding my experience with the install when done.

Thanks again!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Project is done. What a beotch. PM me if you are going to do it and I will give you some tips to save time/aggravation.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Alleuropean's unit is the Valeo, but with the wrong pulley. Napa Auto swapped the old pulley on to the new alternator for free.

Also, be advised that you will need a Torx 50 to do this project, in addition to sockets, etc. The removal (both the dismounting and the extraction) of the old alternator is a major PITA. Move hoses/plumbing liberally. I did not find it necessary to jack up the car and did not see the need to access alternator from below.

Main tip: When attempting to loosen the old alternator (after bolt removal), do not try to force it towards the rear of the car. Instead, move it towards the left (passenger side) to slide it out of the brackets. Try a piece of wood and a hammer, and hit it towards the left the best you can.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C32 AMG
As a future heads up, the Alternator can be rebuilt. I had it done by an shop here in the Chicago land area. Took it out in the morning, they had it back to me and I had it back in the car by early afternoon the same day.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by PunisherZX12
As a future heads up, the Alternator can be rebuilt. I had it done by an shop here in the Chicago land area. Took it out in the morning, they had it back to me and I had it back in the car by early afternoon the same day.
Can you elaborate on what was done (i.e. part numbers)?
How long ago did you get this done?
PM me if necessary.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:24 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
I am in the middle of the same procedure. The Valeo did come with wrong pully as Vomit stated. Vomit, is it working fine with just swapping the pulley?

And I do agree it is a major PITA. I just kept on reminding myself how much I am saving while using very explicit words . My dealer wanted to 2k to do the same thing. They quoted me 1k for the alternator and 1k for the labor .
Old 09-12-2008, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Originally Posted by SUPR C
I am in the middle of the same procedure. The Valeo did come with wrong pully as Vomit stated. Vomit, is it working fine with just swapping the pulley?

And I do agree it is a major PITA. I just kept on reminding myself how much I am saving while using very explicit words . My dealer wanted to 2k to do the same thing. They quoted me 1k for the alternator and 1k for the labor .
That's CRAZY! This sounds like something all of us might do on our own. I rather have the extra $$ go towards the other toys
Old 09-12-2008, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Alleuropean's unit is the Valeo, but with the wrong pulley. Napa Auto swapped the old pulley on to the new alternator for free.

Also, be advised that you will need a Torx 50 to do this project, in addition to sockets, etc. The removal (both the dismounting and the extraction) of the old alternator is a major PITA. Move hoses/plumbing liberally. I did not find it necessary to jack up the car and did not see the need to access alternator from below.

Main tip: When attempting to loosen the old alternator (after bolt removal), do not try to force it towards the rear of the car. Instead, move it towards the left (passenger side) to slide it out of the brackets. Try a piece of wood and a hammer, and hit it towards the left the best you can.
Thanks! This place rocks! A lot of good information for all to use. I rather wrench it and spend under $300 than the $2k as someone else mentioned from the dealer.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal

No kidding, it really is a nasty task the first time. I'm sure that I could do it the second time in a couple of hours, however.

It seems to be working just fine. Today was the first day where I really got on it (0-100, pedal to the metal) and no probs.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Nice, hopefully I'll take the alternators to NAPA tomorrow to get the pulleys swapped and finally finish this thing.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Nice, hopefully I'll take the alternators to NAPA tomorrow to get the pulleys swapped and finally finish this thing.
You may notice that the 8-rib pulley seems to protrude further on the new alternator than it did on the old one. I was worried that this was going to cause a problem with the alignment of the belt, but does not seem to be a problem.

Also, FYI, for some reason when I tried installing the top bolt of the alternator first, the bottom bolt then became a beotch and cross-threaded. I then removed both and installed the bottom first (after cleaning the cross thread and applying some WD-40) and it was easy. May have been my screw-up, but I would probably do the bottom bolt first, JIC.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
mine quit last august mileage 75000 if i remember correctly.

PICKED UP REPLACEMENT AT AUTOZONE FOR $200 MAYE LESS I CANT REMEMBER.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How long does the C32 alternator usually last?