C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Running BOTH Code III and LET Intakes!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2008 | 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by CKovach
I appreciate Brandon's R&D, and I am very happy with my Code 3 pulley and intake mod. That having been said, I just ordered the LET CAI based on other research and conclusions. Obviously both Code 3 and LET have a wealth of tuning experience and knowledge. Not trying to incite a vendor dispute here, but I'm probably not the only one who would like to hear Jerry/LET chime in with their thoughts and results.

Isn't it possible that different ECU tune parameters are an important factor in exploiting gains of the different setups?

Yes, thats why I mentioned that you can never have too much air as long as you are NOT lean!! Supercharged engines can never have too much air and are not working on demand, as a C350 would??? There's a big difference here. The C32 loves air and more air. Its not just about the sound or the look, its about the most RWHP for the $$$. That's why Jerry Tune has retuned me several times to take into consideration the fact that I am "forcing" more air into the engine or allowing it to force more air in (and gas too).

Fundamentally, the supercharger works on "suck, squeeze, burn and blow" If it can't suck, then its not getting enough air. Its the same principle as a jet engine. Suck (intake), Squeeze (compress), burn (combustion) and Blow (exhaust). Its really that simple. I don't portend to be an expert, BUT my Butt dyno likes it. Note that I am strictly talking to the SRT-6, C32 & E55 guys here. Its also the same reason most of us are running pulleys, for the suck and squeeze part of the equation (and exhaust for the Blow part of it as well).
Old 09-05-2008 | 01:51 PM

srt 6 chrysler crossfire
Needswings Intake

I am still confused why people are not running just a single set up. More from one tube is better then less from two tubes. Do not take this post as me against what LET and Code3 are doing. I am very please with what both companys have offered by thinking outside the box and working towards getting us what we want. Everyones data is telling a different story, its confusing, it is starting to seem like everyone is having conflicting data. Needswings showed sometime back that the single was better then two large duals. Brandon showed sometime back the there was abosolutly nothing wrong with the intakes we have and running his set up off the back. Back not so long ago I got flamed on crossfireforum as well as from some of you mercedes guys for running a dual set up with filters still in the engine compartment, exposed, and pulling hot air right from the engine. Now LET has done a very similar design to BDJ's intake and there are claims of better gas millage and hp? If someone else wants to tackle sorting the data it would be great after 5 different set ups why is there not one product that works the best.

I dont have time to search and post everyones data but many of you are like me, we read every thread regardless of content, and this seems to be the case when it comes to intakes.
Old 09-05-2008 | 03:50 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I would like to hear some more peoples thoughts/results about using both too. This is starting to get really confusing, someone needs to help all of us out with a post that is easier to understand and is real data, not just a guess. Anyone really know the truth behind using both of these?
Old 09-05-2008 | 04:56 PM

03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
If anyone send me your intake (I have code3 so I need, LET, single setup, etc. whatever you have), I am willing to spend money to dyno these and will clear things out

Anyone in the bay with different setup than code 3 want to join?
Old 09-05-2008 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
I suppose proper research is required but the best research is to try it as Glenn is doing now

But what helps tremendously is everyones input.....honesty how intakes are working for all is the best form. Each intake has goods and bads and we the consumer need to be honest to ourselves and eachother so everyone can make an informed desicion on what we buy...

Originally Posted by SRT6
I am still confused why people are not running just a single set up. More from one tube is better then less from two tubes. Do not take this post as me against what LET and Code3 are doing. I am very please with what both companys have offered by thinking outside the box and working towards getting us what we want. Everyones data is telling a different story, its confusing, it is starting to seem like everyone is having conflicting data. Needswings showed sometime back that the single was better then two large duals. Brandon showed sometime back the there was abosolutly nothing wrong with the intakes we have and running his set up off the back. Back not so long ago I got flamed on crossfireforum as well as from some of you mercedes guys for running a dual set up with filters still in the engine compartment, exposed, and pulling hot air right from the engine. Now LET has done a very similar design to BDJ's intake and there are claims of better gas millage and hp? If someone else wants to tackle sorting the data it would be great after 5 different set ups why is there not one product that works the best.

I dont have time to search and post everyones data but many of you are like me, we read every thread regardless of content, and this seems to be the case when it comes to intakes.
Old 09-05-2008 | 06:54 PM

C32
Originally Posted by racetested
I always read the same type of information you are under the impression of but then I talked to an engineer friend and he cleared up the nonsense which made sense once I thought about it logically.

The ram air effect is non-existent as I did a lot of research on this years ago. You have to be traveling at something like 180+mph to create enough pressure to have a true ram air effect. (It's been a long time but the mph was something pretty high I do remember that).

Back to an intake in general. The motor decides how much air it can pull in. The intake just has to provide enough as to not choke it off but more down low from a shorter tube, etc. etc. makes no sense if you think about it. Why would a longer tube provide more on top? There's no logical reason for it. The shorter the path the better. The only differences are is if you are pulling in hot air or cold air which affects timing.

Really all any of us need is a big air filter connected to the TB like carbs used to do and seems like Code 3 did to some extent. Why we don't is we would not be able to resonate any sound and not everyone wants a big "roar" when opening the throttle and depending on position we could be sucking in a lot of hot air.

Factory airboxes just provide better packaging and sound deadening. Some work better than others at providing enough flow.
true "ram air" doesnt come into affect until over 300mph
Old 09-05-2008 | 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by SRT6

i saw needswings intake setup on the website. dyno gains of (if i remember correctly) 20-30 whp over the stock car. amazing.
Old 09-07-2008 | 03:03 AM

Srt-6 Crossfire
I made my own 3" single a while back. There was a noticable increase in performance and supercharger whine. I have done this and a couple other things myself and the car runs good. As far as the intakes go I think anything over stock you will see an improvement. After that the differences between the aftermarket styles are marginal. Needswings has shown the most on the dyno, but it still comes down to individual preference. Some people like the look of duals , some like the single some like the stock look of the SL55 setup.
Old 09-08-2008 | 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Probably the crank pulley they are developing for use with the smaller supercharger pulley, Brandon mentioned this before.
any idea on the ETA of the crank pulley?
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SRTpowa
I made my own 3" single a while back. There was a noticable increase in performance and supercharger whine. I have done this and a couple other things myself and the car runs good. As far as the intakes go I think anything over stock you will see an improvement. After that the differences between the aftermarket styles are marginal. Needswings has shown the most on the dyno, but it still comes down to individual preference. Some people like the look of duals , some like the single some like the stock look of the SL55 setup.
This is exactly my set up, except I have the Code III intake on the splitter and the other tube on the starboard side of the engine. Yes, I have the whine, BUT thats primarily from the Code III and not the tubed intakes. I am still 'likin it."
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
Probably a 175-178 MM pulley???? I think more than that and you're overboosting!! Whats the dia of the factory crank pulley??? His will probably be a lil bit more than that to avoid having to go to the idler and the water pump smaller sizes!!
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Probably a 175-178 MM pulley???? I think more than that and you're overboosting!! Whats the dia of the factory crank pulley??? His will probably be a lil bit more than that to avoid having to go to the idler and the water pump smaller sizes!!
probably....i dont recall the factory size....im curious as to the time frame though of when it will be available...
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
probably....i dont recall the factory size....im curious as to the time frame though of when it will be available...

YOu think??? How about the Spearco HE and the Intercooler and idler pulley and the list goes on and on??? I am beginning to feel like I can't give my money away to Code III ???
Old 09-08-2008 | 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
[/B]

YOu think??? How about the Spearco HE and the Intercooler and idler pulley and the list goes on and on??? I am beginning to feel like I can't give my money away to Code III ???
haha....too many parts available and in production for this car right now. gotta love it....the mod bug is an expensive to cure lol
Old 09-08-2008 | 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
haha....too many parts available and in production for this car right now. gotta love it....the mod bug is an expensive to cure lol

Its not that bad compared to the C55 engine. I have the 55 engine in my ML 55 and its a bear to mod. Even an ECM re-tune apparently doesnt work too well on them. All I can do is either Kleemannize it for about 10-15 large or do an exhaust mod. Thats about all you can really do other than NOS for reasonable $$. Even a set of headers for the 55 engine is well over 2K. Ask, Hooley, he'll tell ya!!
Old 09-08-2008 | 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
[/B]

Its not that bad compared to the C55 engine. I have the 55 engine in my ML 55 and its a bear to mod. Even an ECM re-tune apparently doesnt work too well on them. All I can do is either Kleemannize it for about 10-15 large or do an exhaust mod. Thats about all you can really do other than NOS for reasonable $$. Even a set of headers for the 55 engine is well over 2K. Ask, Hooley, he'll tell ya!!
true story.
Old 09-09-2008 | 03:10 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
You mean like this?

I can tell you that this type of intake makes between no power and less power. ..

I think a better statement would be "my intake made no power"

I was present for the before-and-after dynos on 2 different cars...and the LET intake made the claimed power, on both stock and modded cars.

This is a welcome change from some tuners who don't disclose all of the mods on their cars....
Old 09-09-2008 | 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I think a better statement would be "my intake made no power"

I was present for the before-and-after dynos on 2 different cars...and the LET intake made the claimed power, on both stock and modded cars.

This is a welcome change from some tuners who don't disclose all of the mods on their cars....

It would be nice to see whats going on, BUT then again, WHAT is going on ??? HE, Intake, Pulley, idler, no one seems to know and there's no cat being LET out of the bag!!
Old 09-09-2008 | 04:21 PM
SPONSOR

From: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
The LET intake gave me approx 14 rwhp on the dyno....I was impressed expecially with all the other mods that were on the car...

and yes....chicagox was there witness the feat!
Old 09-09-2008 | 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by loungn14
The LET intake gave me approx 14 rwhp on the dyno....I was impressed expecially with all the other mods that were on the car...

and yes....chicagox was there witness the feat!
BUT if you believe that Ram AIR only works at 300 MPH and above, then we are all out of luck. My mantra is and remains, "More air is more better!!!" I have been running the LET and the CODE III now for a week and butt dyno loves it. Haven't Mustang'd it yet, but we will.
Old 09-09-2008 | 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID

Any idea as to ETA of anything???
Old 10-12-2008 | 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I have been running the LET and the CODE III now for a week and butt dyno loves it. Haven't Mustang'd it yet, but we will.
any updates on this? anyone else running both intakes? gains? dynos?
Old 10-14-2008 | 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
any updates on this? anyone else running both intakes? gains? dynos?
Tracking it this Sat in Morrocco, will let you know.
Old 10-14-2008 | 11:59 AM

Crossfire SRT6
Needswings may have a new DUAL CAI available now. Waldig tested and posted on the SRT6 on the Crossfireforum along with his new HE mod.

MikeR
Old 10-14-2008 | 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MikeR
Needswings may have a new DUAL CAI available now. Waldig tested and posted on the SRT6 on the Crossfireforum along with his new HE mod.

MikeR
but will his CAI actually fit on a C32? I think the problem with his first CAI he made for the SRT6 and SLK32 is that it didnt fit on the C32 b/c it didnt clear the firewall and things had to be moved.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Running BOTH Code III and LET Intakes!!!