C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Needswings Intake Manifolds are finished *PICS*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Honestly I'm getting all confused on who is doing what now. So we have the LET intake, the pipes between the manifold and intake that 240M3SRT made, and then these manifolds. Each one on it's own seems to claim 20+HP to the wheels. I've been waiting for the LET intake in carbon fiber but now I have no idea wtf to do.

Anyways, here's the pic of the dyno results for those who don't have an account over there.

-Rich
Intake and Intake manifold(s) are 2 completely different pieces of the puzzle. I mentioned it earlier in this thread that the term "intake" is an extremely vague term for an air filter system which became the vernacular with the sport compact crowd. Through time it stuck.

Intake manifolds are generally aluminum or even composite type plastic but have also been know to be cast out of steel (old school stuff). Intake manifolds deliver the air or fuel or both (depending if it is direct injection or not) mixture into the heads.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by msheredy
Intake and Intake manifold(s) are 2 completely different pieces of the puzzle. I mentioned it earlier in this thread that the term "intake" is an extremely vague term for an air filter system which became the vernacular with the sport compact crowd. Through time it stuck.

Intake manifolds are generally aluminum or even composite type plastic but have also been know to be cast out of steel (old school stuff). Intake manifolds deliver the air or fuel or both (depending if it is direct injection or not) mixture into the heads.
To complicate things even further - the intake manifolds on the M112K are integrated into the supercharger housing. These parts simply connect the manifolds to the post-supercharger Y-pipe.

240M3SRT mentioned that our 'manifolds' are cast magnesium... they're obviously cast, but I'd always assumed cast aluminium - can anyone confirm what metal they're made out of?
Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Biscuit
Honestly I'm getting all confused on who is doing what now. So we have the LET intake, the pipes between the manifold and intake that 240M3SRT made, and then these manifolds. Each one on it's own seems to claim 20+HP to the wheels. I've been waiting for the LET intake in carbon fiber but now I have no idea wtf to do.

Anyways, here's the pic of the dyno results for those who don't have an account over there.

-Rich

Attachment 139717
This is in no way similar to the LET intake. To be clear, the LET intake is the part that replaces your air boxes with open filter elements. The NEEDSWINGS intake manifolds replace the parts that sit next to the air boxes; the parts that either say AMG or SRT6 depending upon your vehicle. These handle the air that is expelled from the supercharger and intercooler. They can be used in conjunction.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
To complicate things even further - the intake manifolds on the M112K are integrated into the supercharger housing. These parts simply connect the manifolds to the post-supercharger Y-pipe.

240M3SRT mentioned that our 'manifolds' are cast magnesium... they're obviously cast, but I'd always assumed cast aluminium - can anyone confirm what metal they're made out of?
I've read that they were made of magnesium too, but I don't think you can weld aluminum to magnesium. I'm not even sure you can weld magnesium to magnesium. This would indicat that the stock parts are in fact not made of magnesium.

Disclaimer: I really know very little of magnesium (other than the fact that it is very light and highly flammable under extreme heat), so if I am wrong, please set the record straight!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 AM

MB
To complicate things even further - the intake manifolds on the M112K are integrated into the supercharger housing.
Yea I know. It would have been nicer if the runners weren't cast into the supercharger housing... Would be a lot easier to swap in a Kenny Bell blower or similar.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by msheredy
Yea I know. It would have been nicer if the runners weren't cast into the supercharger housing... Would be a lot easier to swap in a Kenny Bell blower or similar.
You know... that's interesting. Just brainstorming here, but if manufacturers are making full, replacement manifolds (like those pictured in this thread) - they could probably extend the runner length by the appropriate amount for anyone who would want to run an aftermarket blower: i.e. have two product variations "intake manifolds - stock blower, short version that mates to the blower's manifolds" and "intake manifolds, aftermarket blowers, long version that mates to the heads" - might that work? I'm trying to picture why it wouldn't... and not coming up with anything yet.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 PM

MB
You know... that's interesting. Just brainstorming here, but if manufacturers are making full, replacement manifolds (like those pictured in this thread) - they could probably extend the runner length by the appropriate amount for anyone who would want to run an aftermarket blower: i.e. have two product variations "intake manifolds - stock blower, short version that mates to the blower's manifolds" and "intake manifolds, aftermarket blowers, long version that mates to the heads" - might that work? I'm trying to picture why it wouldn't... and not coming up with anything yet.
The company HPS that manufactures the superchargers for the N/A V8s machined new runners for their system. If they could only trim off a couple runners for us 6s we could be free from our OEM blower!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 PM

CL 600
Just curious is NEEDSWINGS an MBWORLD forum supporter?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Just curious is NEEDSWINGS an MBWORLD forum supporter?
Supporter as in sponsor? Doubt it.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:54 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
That would be a nice idea, but most of our cars are aging, and I wouldn't feel so comfortable making gobbs more power with many of our engines kreeping near 80,90,or above 100k! I don't know about you, but I wouldn't feel great about having to rebuild an AMG motor after the head gaskets leak or something breaks! Now if your below 60K I would think you should be just fine!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Most of us SRT6 owners have less than 10k on the clock. I don't think I've even heard of anyone over 35k miles. I've ran hooleyboy and juicee63 quite a few times in the past. With these, I may be back in the juicee63 timeslip zone.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
I've read that they were made of magnesium too, but I don't think you can weld aluminum to magnesium. I'm not even sure you can weld magnesium to magnesium. This would indicat that the stock parts are in fact not made of magnesium.

Disclaimer: I really know very little of magnesium (other than the fact that it is very light and highly flammable under extreme heat), so if I am wrong, please set the record straight!!!
Good question, anyone here have a clue what they are made of?
Old 09-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
I'm not certain, but someone else said that it was some magnesium blend that isn't flammable.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:49 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6

They sure look like plane jane aluminum to me...............and so did the shavings when I was gasket match porting my manifolds and s/c.

If anybody here buys the Needswings manifolds and no longer wants their stock "AMG" manifolds I will gladly buy them off of you.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:40 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Most of us SRT6 owners have less than 10k on the clock. I don't think I've even heard of anyone over 35k miles. I've ran hooleyboy and juicee63 quite a few times in the past. With these, I may be back in the juicee63 timeslip zone.
Wow, nice low miles! My comment to c32AMG-DTM, was toward other C32 owners. Since our cars have been around since 02, we've collected more miles.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by calimax
Wow, nice low miles! My comment to c32AMG-DTM, was toward other C32 owners. Since our cars have been around since 02, we've collected more miles.
Mine has under 3500 on the odometer. Why don't you come run with me out at speedworld. I'm headed to NV for a nat'l event, but will be out there in 2 weeks. I might have some goodies installed for you to experience first hand. I don't know if you know hooleyboy or juicee63, but they show up ever now and then. It would be nice to meet some of the other locals. Juicee is king with his cls63 laying it down CA style.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:50 AM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by moparrbust
They sure look like plane jane aluminum to me...............and so did the shavings when I was gasket match porting my manifolds and s/c.

If anybody here buys the Needswings manifolds and no longer wants their stock "AMG" manifolds I will gladly buy them off of you.

For those that do cut theirs, stock manifolds are going to fetch a pretty penny.
I'll never part with mine, as I said before when I get tired of the car it's going back to stock and on CL.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:05 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Mine has under 3500 on the odometer. Why don't you come run with me out at speedworld. I'm headed to NV for a nat'l event, but will be out there in 2 weeks. I might have some goodies installed for you to experience first hand. I don't know if you know hooleyboy or juicee63, but they show up ever now and then. It would be nice to meet some of the other locals. Juicee is king with his cls63 laying it down CA style.
Sure, I'd love to come and watch! I know Hooley. We live near each other. I don't think I want to run until it's much cooler. I don't fare well to #'s I know should be better otherwise. I'll be looking forward to seeing your new upgrades!
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
For what it's worth the M113 V8's use an aluminum/magnesium mix of some type. I found this out when porting/polishing the several pieces of the intake manifold. Mbenzman confirmed this when he was working on his intake too.

My neighbor is an engineer and when I was doing the work he said that in the solid state it is nothing to worry about but the magnesium shavings/dust all over my shop he said could pose a flamable danger. Good thing i don't smoke.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:41 PM

CL 600
For those that do cut theirs, stock manifolds are going to fetch a pretty penny.
I'll never part with mine, as I said before when I get tired of the car it's going back to stock and on CL.

You can buy em brand new from MB for $400, used should be even less.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
That's cheap, I just called my local MB and they want $210 each side, but you better hurry because they are in Germany and only 6 left side and 6 right side in inventory. Guy said no one has ever ordered before. Will take a few weeks to arrive. Scoop them up because I don't see that part being made continously. That's only $2400 to corner the resale market on these.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by calimax
Sure, I'd love to come and watch! I know Hooley. We live near each other. I don't think I want to run until it's much cooler. I don't fare well to #'s I know should be better otherwise. I'll be looking forward to seeing your new upgrades!
It won't be till mid october, and should be nice and cool by then. SECC usually rents the track in Dec as well. The numbers really change with a supercharged motor. It's night and day when it's hot out. See you out there.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
The manifolds............just like the cars............will never appreciate in value. I don't care what "base" AMG car you have whether it's an SRT-6, C32, C43, C55, C63 or a C69(I made that one up). Generally only the rarest TOP of the line niche cars will hold their value and/or appreciate.

Ohh; if anybody wants to buy up the rest of the existing stock of AMG manifolds from M-B let me know. I'll buy them for you and sell them(to you) for a lot less than $210(plus tax) each.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:00 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT6
Originally Posted by moparrbust
The manifolds............just like the cars............will never appreciate in value. I don't care what "base" AMG car you have whether it's an SRT-6, C32, C43, C55, C63 or a C69(I made that one up). Generally only the rarest TOP of the line niche cars will hold their value and/or appreciate.

Ohh; if anybody wants to buy up the rest of the existing stock of AMG manifolds from M-B let me know. I'll buy them for you and sell them(to you) for a lot less than $210(plus tax) each.
What if they are no longer available and a few of you want to have an extra set? Supply and demand will take over. If you can get them cheaper than just do a group buy, I'm sure you'll get 6 buyers pretty easy.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Srt-6 Crossfire
Rob track tested the new manifolds. Not bad for 87 degrees and the 116mph trap speed is nice!
Originally Posted by NeedsWings
we made it to the track on saturday, it was 87f on the dashboard as we pulled in, first pass was a 1.85 60ft to a 12.15x@115.xx, i them turned the car over to liz to see how she could do, she ran consistant 12.34-12.37's all day with the most 60 ft's in the 1.98-2.02 range while breaking into the 116mph traps. im pretty sure this makes her the quickest/fastest female if that counts for anything, lol. looks like we have the fastest trap speed non nitrous on dragtimes. i was tryign to coach her on the launch to cut a sub 1.8 which should have went into the 11's btu it didnt happen, ill keep the car to myself when we get a cooler day

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Needswings Intake Manifolds are finished *PICS*