LET Stage 2 (181mm) Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
LET Stage 2 (181mm) Dyno Results!

Well... today was the day (finally...) that I was able to get back in at the same dyno I baselined at.

Baseline was completely stock (down to OEM airfilters), with one exception - resonator removed. Most agree that doesn't materially affect performance. Stock rwhp/rwtq was 297/288.

Since then, the following mods have been installed:

LET Motorsports Stage 2 (181mm)
LET Motorsports HE
Johnson CM30
LET Motorsports phenolic spacers
K&N drop-in filters
Renntech 18" Monolites

Today, the car put down 334/338... a gain of 37 rwhp, and 50 rwtq. Both times several runs were made (roughly half a dozen)... I'm comparing the two strongest runs against one another. Of note, it was slightly warmer today, and slightly more humid. Unfortunately the dyno shop's A/F gauge was broken, so I wasn't able to capture that data... plan to go back in a month or so, when it should be a bit cooler, and will be able to get it then.

I'm a bit torn on the performance... if I'd coughed up the extra $100 and gotten the 185mm pulley, I'd probably be at least 350/350 (likely more). OTOH, the reality is that the car's mostly very well behaved, and much quicker than stock, for a fairly modest investment. Also, the additional area under the curve is significant - especially the low-end torque increase.

FWIW, I would tend to recommend to not bother with the additional expense going Stage 2 (i.e. adding headers) unless you're already running the LET Motorsports 185mm Stage 1 kit and still want more hp/tq. I don't regret it, however, as I'm already in a good spot in case I add more boost down the road. Comments/observations certainly welcome
Old 09-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
You thinking about getting some headers? I always wanted to get on a dynojet to see what i can put down Ive only been on dyno dynamics dyno from what i hear they yield a bit less than dynojets. Just think it would be cool to see the difference between the two. so whats in the mix for future mods? All i know is I'm craving more HP
Old 09-12-2008, 12:25 AM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Those are good numbers. I am waiting for my Jerry-tune to get back. I already put the EVO headers on. Im going to Dyno soon. Hoping for close to 350 RWHP but I doubt it. I need a larger pulley, I may upgrade to the LET 185mm. Do you have the Jerry-tune with your 181mm pulley? Again, good job.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hooleyboy and mdncn2762,

Thanks guys. Yep, already have headers (LET Shorty headers) and ECU tune (LET Tune)... thus "LET Stage 2"
Old 09-12-2008, 08:46 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Good numbers....the 185 would have probably put you right at 350 fwiw...

Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
DTM - do you have a tune, with all that gear? I'd have to think that it would yield you an assload of power.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
SPONSOR

the tune will help if he didnt tune all ready...

Do have to say, that your stock numbers are odd....quite high for typical stock numbers. Could just be the dyno...typical stocks are 270's

I also assume that you changed the gap in the plugs....if not replaced them.

If you didnt.....you might wanna do so....
Old 09-12-2008, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by evilsaint
DTM - do you have a tune, with all that gear? I'd have to think that it would yield you an assload of power.
See post #4 - yes.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by loungn14

Do have to say, that your stock numbers are odd....quite high for typical stock numbers. Could just be the dyno...typical stocks are 270's

If you didnt.....you might wanna do so
Good tip, loungin14 - I haven't done that. Will get the NGK ones from LET. Is there a DIY for changing them? IIRC, I read from someone else that the back ones are a PITA to get to...

As for the stock dyno numbers - yeah, I recall they were fairly strong. As these cars can vary quite a bit, I wanted to be as consistent as possible - so same dyno, same dyno operator, and fairly similiar weather for both trips. As I may've mentioned - both trips to the dyno, probably around 5-6 runs... this printout is comparing the best stock run, vs. the best current-mods run.

Last edited by c32AMG-DTM; 09-12-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I don't mean to be a downer, but don't those numbers seem a bit low with all the aformentioned mods?

You have headers, 181 pulley, K&Ns, upgraded pump and HE, spacers, and the infamous LET tune to fully take advantage of this all, right?

Even though your stock numbers a very high compaired to most, it still seems like you should have gained more than 37/50 overall with what you have listed. Headers and tune alone should have given you those numbers.

Still impressive numbers, I would just expect a bit more. Hopefully next run with new plugs (change the oil lately?) and cooler temps will make the difference. Or maybe I just have unrealistic expectations....
Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID

If you didnt.....you might wanna do so....

What is it with you and plugs???
Old 09-12-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
I don't mean to be a downer, but don't those numbers seem a bit low with all the aformentioned mods?

You have headers, 181 pulley, K&Ns, upgraded pump and HE, spacers, and the infamous LET tune to fully take advantage of this all, right?

Even though your stock numbers a very high compaired to most, it still seems like you should have gained more than 37/50 overall with what you have listed. Headers and tune alone should have given you those numbers.

Still impressive numbers, I would just expect a bit more. Hopefully next run with new plugs (change the oil lately?) and cooler temps will make the difference. Or maybe I just have unrealistic expectations....
THE HE and phenolics will not add HP if you don't have a heat issue. Basically, those are good numbers if you look at just a 181, no new wires or plugs (Jake and LET Tune and KN. Thats all he's done for 40 HP; I'd take that all day long. H'ed have to go to New plugs, 185 or 181 and Code III for over 350 HP
Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B]

What is it with you and plugs???
Plugs make the difference....

U ever gap urs?
Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Plugs make the difference....

U ever gap urs?
NO, BUT since you are so fixated on my plugs, I will do so!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

THE HE and phenolics will not add HP if you don't have a heat issue. Basically, those are good numbers if you look at just a 181, no new wires or plugs (Jake and LET Tune and KN. Thats all he's done for 40 HP; I'd take that all day long. H'ed have to go to New plugs, 185 or 181 and Code III for over 350 HP
To clarify, I've 'only' done the following :

K&N filters, LET 181mm pulley kit, LET headers, and LET ECU tune, which has yielded 37/50 @ the wheels.

SilverBulletAMG - no offense taken at your skepticism... I too recognize that others have realized similiar performance gains with simply a 178mm pulley + tune, or S/C pulley + tune. But hey, it is what it is... and every day there seem to be more and more options for improving the performance of our M112K engines I could swap for the 185mm, or add a S/C pulley, if the day comes where more boost is desired. Plus, other than K&N's, I haven't really addressed the intake side of things. A higher flowing intake + higher flowing plenums could add quite a bit too.

Not sure if 18 inch Monolites tend to help or hurt vs. stock AMG 17's for rwhp/rwtq... might be a wash.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
To clarify, I've 'only' done the following :

K&N filters, LET 181mm pulley kit, LET headers, and LET ECU tune, which has yielded 37/50 @ the wheels.

SilverBulletAMG - no offense taken at your skepticism... I too recognize that others have realized similiar performance gains with simply a 178mm pulley + tune, or S/C pulley + tune. But hey, it is what it is... and every day there seem to be more and more options for improving the performance of our M112K engines I could swap for the 185mm, or add a S/C pulley, if the day comes where more boost is desired. Plus, other than K&N's, I haven't really addressed the intake side of things. A higher flowing intake + higher flowing plenums could add quite a bit too.

Not sure if 18 inch Monolites tend to help or hurt vs. stock AMG 17's for rwhp/rwtq... might be a wash.
I think what you're all missing are the real variables here, the dyno, the tech and the weather. These can vary by over 10% if not done on same day, same operator etc etc. Look at the differences in drag times alone from day to day. Same car can be .5 or more different on any given day. Plus, Philly cars run slower due to too many cheesesteaks!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think what you're all missing are the real variables here, the dyno, the tech and the weather. These can vary by over 10% if not done on same day, same operator etc etc. Look at the differences in drag times alone from day to day. Same car can be .5 or more different on any given day. Plus, Philly cars run slower due to too many cheesesteaks!!!

Haha - won't argue the cheesesteaks

Same dyno, same operator - not same day, due to the scope of the work, and the fact I wanted to do the majority of it DIY. If you read the weather data posted on the dyno sheet, it is fairly close - slightly warmer, similiar barometric pressure, and slightly more humid, but not major differences. I do intend to go back roughly a month from now, so I can capture A/F... the weather might be more favorable then (perhaps even better than the stock runs).
Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

When did you have Jerry do your tune? Was that one of the last things done? If not, I would be willing to bet he could unleash a few more ponies out of her. Of course most any custom tune on the dyno can find some missing power.
I would think the monolites would be a wash vs. the stock AMG 17s. Possibly even hurt you just slightly even. Hopefully it was just a bad day and when you go back with cooler temps she unleashes all her fury.
Oh, and as for the intake and plenums, I eluded to the answer in Needswings thread on the oversize intake plenums. We have friends on this board with a solution to that problem. I don't mean to be mysterious, but he hasn't publicly announced anything yet and I don't want to step out of line. Just don't want anyone rushing to the other boards if we can keep it in the family. Or at least let everyone know another option will be available shortly....
Old 09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
You forgot to mention he has LET headers which alone are good for at least 20+ hp on their own. Then the tune. Then the pulley. And an ever so slight addition on the K&Ns.

I never meant to imply the spacer, pump, or HE would add hp, just that it would help keep the same hp over many pulls for obvious reasons. That's all I was getting at.

But like he said, it is what it is. Hopefully it was just a bad day. I'm hoping he gets high numbers because he has the mods I hope to have in the near future. ;-)
Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG

If you look at the dyno picture the major difference between each dyno before and after is temperature by 10 degrees...I bet if he dynos in the same or colder weather those numbers will be higher...I dynoed like 15 rwhp more with different filters but on a colder day.....weather plagues our cars power numbers...I seen multiple dynos and the power tend to go down drastically after even one run...

Guys I seen multiple dyno runs on many cars and to date the biggest increase is the pulley period...other things give out smaller increases in power...a Tune helps drastically to take full advantage of the mods as a whole and produces more hp/tq and in a safe manner.

C32AMG-DTM don't feel dissappointed....go to a Mustang Dyno and prepare to really get depressed...to reach even 375 rwhp is not an easy task without juice. I say take her to the track and run her you will be plesantly surprised
Old 09-12-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
I doubt your Renntech monolites at 18" will harm you on the dyno maybe at the track as they didn't work so well on Jakes' car when he tried them...can we say they were to lite thus harder to put the power to the ground at the track. Jake has 19" reps and heavy and he did better at the track with them...he got his 12.4s with them on...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Good tip, loungin14 - I haven't done that. Will get the NGK ones from LET. Is there a DIY for changing them? IIRC, I read from someone else that the back ones are a PITA to get to...
I recall Jerry has a DIY on the plugs its in the archive....the rear ones especially the Driverside rear plug by the firewall is a major PITA but nothing a thin hand or proper tools can't smooth out.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Niiice.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
[QUOTE=SilverBulletAMG;3050491]When did you have Jerry do your tune? Was that one of the last things done? If not, I would be willing to bet he could unleash a few more ponies out of her. Of course most any custom tune on the dyno can find some missing power.
I would think the monolites would be a wash vs. the stock AMG 17s. Possibly even hurt you just slightly even. Hopefully it was just a bad day and when you go back with cooler temps she unleashes all her fury. :

We have friends on this board with a solution to that problem. I don't mean to be mysterious, but he hasn't publicly announced anything yet and I don't want to step out of line. Just don't want anyone rushing to the other boards if we can keep it in the family. Or at least let everyone know another option will be available shortly....

Bullet is correct, BUT our "friends" need to step up to the plate and show us what they have because I may jusy spring for the Needs wings ones and drive out to Michigan to get em installed as well. Why the mystery!! Let em cause some excitement for the C32 guys.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by c32used
If you look at the dyno picture the major difference between each dyno before and after is temperature by 10 degrees...I bet if he dynos in the same or colder weather those numbers will be higher...I dynoed like 15 rwhp more with different filters but on a colder day.....weather plagues our cars power numbers...I seen multiple dynos and the power tend to go down drastically after even one run...

Guys I seen multiple dyno runs on many cars and to date the biggest increase is the pulley period...other things give out smaller increases in power...a Tune helps drastically to take full advantage of the mods as a whole and produces more hp/tq and in a safe manner.

C32AMG-DTM don't feel dissappointed....go to a Mustang Dyno and prepare to really get depressed...to reach even 375 rwhp is not an easy task without juice. I say take her to the track and run her you will be plesantly surprised
c32used, thanks for the kind words and support

Didn't mention it before (didn't think to) - but the strongest run of the day was actually the last one, of about 6 or so runs... certainly a testament to the cooling abilities of the LET heat exchanger and CM30 pump.

Have run at the track with all current mods except the Monolites (was on stock 17" wheels instead). Best so far was a 13.20 @ 105.7 - was about 85 degrees that day, so hoping cooler fall weather will bring more power and lower times

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LET Stage 2 (181mm) Dyno Results!