C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

AMS PULLEY WARNING!!!! video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
Originally Posted by calimax
lazy idiots fresh out of ASE Certification class.

ASE = "Ask Someone Else"
Old 10-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
roadside assistance is on the way to tow the car to the dealer. IMO it looks like the bolt was not tightened down. If thats the case this is total BS if any damage is done as a result its on them. As far as i know this crank bolt needs to be torqued down with two people one on the bolt and the other on the fly wheel to hold it from moving. IMO this was not done and could have resulted in a catastrophic engine failure. To even be put in this spot is just total negligence by the dealer.

I have spoken with AMS many times last night and today and they are sending me out a new pulley overnight at no charge just in the small event that the pulley is bad or the pulley went bad. thought that was very cool to do.

I brought the car in the first time thinking that the crank seal was bad and leaking they told me it was inspected and they didnt think it was leaking. 1) how can you inspect a crank seal with the pulley on? 2) If the Crank seal was bad and it was over looked oil leaking out of the crank could loosen the crank bolt right?

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-01-2008 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
If the Crank seal was bad and it was over looked oil leaking out of the crank could loosen the crank bolt right?
Not a chance my friend.

Have you ever tried to take one off I had to use a 4' breaker bar, with a 2' extension. My torque wrench goes to 300 ft/lb, and even at that it didn't even budge.

Glad to here AMS sent you another pulley, pretty cool of them

See yeah

PS: From what you explained it appears you found a REALLY good service department
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Originally Posted by TruTaing
I think you're one of two people who had their products on MB applications that actually posts on these forums. The other (benz_addict, i think w/ an s500) guy took it off cuz it made his car "slower."

Good luck man, I hope its just loose and NOT malfunctioning or damaging anything else.
I saw it wobbling on mine too but obviously not that bad but still it's not suppose to be wobbling at all. Take it off ASAP. You don't want any torsional resonance related damage or worse... won't mention. If Mercedes engineers wanted to make the pulley lighter to 'free' up some power, they would of made it like that from factory.

btw what are you going to do about your hard earned $600?

Last edited by benz_addict; 10-01-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes S500 Lorinser
Ive had it on my car before you guys i think.

And honestly its been wobbling ailttle bit also but not that bad. I had a feeling something was wrong.

I actually feel like now i am losing horsepower escpecially in the high end since my car didnt pully smoothely like it did before i had the AMS garbage in my car.

JUST THINK ABOUT IT, MERCEDES ENGINEERS ARE THE GREATEST MINDS IN THE WORLD, I THINK THEY WOULD OF TAUGHT A LIGHTER CRANK WOULD BE BETTER FOR THE ENGINE, BUT OBV NOT AS THE MOD BUG HIT US AND WE DIDNT DO ENOUGH RESEARCH on the New company AMS, and there ****** bullshat products.

im taking out the AMS pulley and putting back the old one first thing tomm before there any serious damage done to my car.

All of us with the AMS pulleys should take action against This JERRKoff OmeyHomey from benzworld to at least get our money back.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM

1999 W210 E300 Turbodiesel
man looks horrible ,it looks like it wanna fly out! i was thinking to get AMS pulley but I really changed my mind.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
Schumacher?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
WOW what a pulley

Okay, reality for a moment. First of all pulley instalation is NOT rocket science gentlemen. You simply slide it one, hopefully with the keyway aligned. Now with that being said, even IF it wasn't on the keyway, it should still spin properely with NO wobble. The key ONLY stops it from rotating on the crankshaft, THAT'S IT. So that leaves you with one of two options:

1. Pulley is bent
2. Crankshaft is bent. HIGHLY doubtful as it is forged steel, so rest easy my friend.

Note: This does asume that the pulley is fully seated on the crankshaft and the bolt is tight. Both of witch ANY second grader could do.

So, GET RID OF THAT PULLEY NOW

See yeah
MRAMG1,

You must hang out with some pretty big second-graders IMHO, properly torquing the crank bolt takes a lot of effort. 150 ft/lbs, PLUS an extra 90 degrees, is difficult by most anyone's measure... which I think is why some under-torqued pullies have caused issues for m112 and m113 owners (just a theory on my part).

hooleyboy,

My guess is that this completely was a service tech error with reinstallation. I mean, if you take it in and it's fine, and get it back and it's like that... what other reasonable conclusion is there? GL with getting it fixed - hopefully no major engine damage to deal with.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
catastrophic Pulley failure

The pulley was never removed by the dealer "so they say" It maybe true that they did not remove the pulley. When i do there today the pulley was torqued to spec. after they removed it, it showed a catastrophic failure of the keyway due to installation error. So the shop foreman said it was not the pulley that caused the pulley to fail it was the installer not seating the pulley correctly. Right now the techs say the prognosis is good that they can re-install the stock pulley after it is all cleaned out and end the problem. The installer will be getting a call from me. here are some pics

Old 10-01-2008, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
The installer will be getting a call from me. here are some pics

Tear the installer a new one for me I really HATE shops that charge top dollar because its a MB and then have no f____ing clue about what they are doing.

GO GET HIM!!!

See yeah

PS: Crank should be okay as I previously stated, its really tuff stuff, Thank God.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Wow - that's a mess....

Maybe there's a good reason why the OEM part is made the way it is and the material they used.

IE it's tougher, harder and heavier for a number of reasons.

Question is - when did your pulley start to fail ?

Maybe it had been failing for a while and you just caught it in time ?

Maybe the steel cotter pin began to chip away at the slot leading it to work loose ? (there's been pictures of other steel pulleys suffering damage in that area)

Maybe it wasn't installed correctly or maybe the dealer messed with it ?

Lots of questions and I doubt you'll ever be 100% sure of the sequence of events which lead to the melt down.

Main thing is you caught it in time and it's being taken care of.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by timdf
Maybe there's a good reason why the OEM part is made the way it is and the material they used.

Maybe the steel cotter pin began to chip away at the slot leading it to work loose ? (there's been pictures of other steel pulleys suffering damage in that area)

Lots of questions and I doubt you'll ever be 100% sure of the sequence of events which lead to the melt down.

Lets just hope they can fix this with out having to take the motor apart.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Hello Mike,

sorry to hear the for your inconvenience due to the improper installation, that is absolutely unacceptable.

Even though this was technically not our fault and we were not responsible, we will go ahead and replace your pulley 100% free of charge under our lifetime warranty. We stand by our products and more importantly we stand by our customers. I hope this demonstrates our level of dedication to our customers and shows to what great lengths we will go to in order to make our customers happy.

your new pulley is on the way. Please return the bad pulley so we can properly document it.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:03 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Hello Mike,

sorry to hear the for your inconvenience due to the improper installation, that is absolutely unacceptable.

Even though this was technically not our fault and we were not responsible, we will go ahead and replace your pulley 100% free of charge under our lifetime warranty. We stand by our products and more importantly we stand by our customers. I hope this demonstrates our level of dedication to our customers and shows to what great lengths we will go to in order to make our customers happy.

your new pulley is on the way. Please return the bad pulley so we can properly document it.

Thanks.
That's an impressive gesture!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
it is indeed! very respectable.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
so WHO did the installation ????
Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
[QUOTE=hooleyboy;3082367]So the shop foreman said it was not the pulley that caused the pulley to fail it was the installer not seating the pulley correctly. QUOTE]

Wow, so their blaming Dyno Comp?? Thats a VERY respected tuner that caters to many AMG Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, Evo's and STI's. They do that kind of work all day long, unlike some of the freshman techs in the service bay. It's typical fashion for the dealer SA's and Techs to cover their a$$'s when it comes to large problems caused by them selves, I still bet that their lying through their teeth about not touching the pulley. I don't see how you can accurately inspect a crank seal thats behind a large pulley without removing it. And in that case, their probably lying about inspecting the seal.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Saprissa
so WHO did the installation ????
I'm not going to bash them publicly... yet. i will wait until i get my car back and have a chance to talk with them. Mistakes happen so I'm going to see what they will do. And thanks to AMS for the new pulley.

So they are trying to file down a burr that was created so they can ge the stock pulley on. If they cant do that I'm SOL.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 10-01-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by timdf

Don't be so sure that "OE" MB products are so Superior. Many of MB's parts are contracted out to other country's like Japan for lower manufacturing costs. They don't all have that tough German build quality persona that we may think.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
At least i'm still getting use out of this pulley.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:26 PM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I don't see how you can accurately inspect a crank seal thats behind a large pulley without removing it. And in that case, their probably lying about inspecting the seal.
Yeah, one way or another, they've lied to you. Not real familiar w/ the C55 engine, but most likely the pulley needs to be removed to get a thorough look at the seal.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Mercedes was able to get the stock pulley on and it looks true. All I know is if this pulley was made out of anything other than aluminum it would have laid waste to the crank shaft. I must say I dodged a major bullet on this one. The reason why I didn't jump down Mercedes of Arrowhead's throat is because Lonny the shop foreman is my friend and Robert Wolf my service advisor is a friend of my families. If, Lonny said the Pulley was never touched by a tech i kinda believe him. In all honesty when the Pulley was wobbling you could not feel it in the car. He also made a good point that if they were to uninstall a aftermarket pulley they would have to call me ( they did about the headers) and ask if its ok. Looks like a 1000 dollar bill headed my way and then passed on to the installer. Any way this could have been much much much worse. I was told it should drive perfect for the rest of the cars life, even driving like a moron.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
I second most of this but one thing. Get the SA on the phone when you are asking these questions to the tech. If the tech catches wind he really messed up, his wording and procedure may change when the SA gets involved. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

I'll bet they'll say they didn't if it costs them an AMG engine. Carefully word your questions regarding the inspection of the seal. Calmly and look interested in how, ask for the tech who worked on the car, and ask how they go about checking for the condition of the seal. Ask when they remove and reinstall the pulley, do they need to replace the bolt? if they say no, then respond with, "So you just reused my old one then?" You want your questions to trap them into saying they removed and reinstalled it. when you achieve that, then open the gates of hell and bring the SA out to your car and show him the work their tech did. If their hands touched it last, then they are responsible for it, regardless if aftermarket or not.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 E39 M5
+1 That is great customer service right there. Most companies would say hey sorry if it was installed wrong warranty does not apply. I would go tear that installer a new ***. Make sure you get your many back for atleast the install. Dont settle for anything less. He could of cost you mega bucks here.

Originally Posted by boohooramblers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMS PULLEY WARNING!!!! video