Mustang Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14
im not following you...or maybe perhaps your misunderstood?

I think what glenn was getting at is every dyno brand is going to be different even with the same mods on the car. The only thing that will stay constant is the fact that the car didn't change. (or what glenn is getting at is the time for you to run a 1/4 mile...with all other factors negated- temp/driver/etc)

That makes more sense if thats what he meant but thats not how it was put.

If you use the same exact dyno the results will be accurate when comparing before & after, although now with Dyno Dynamics shootout mode they now have an international standard that you can dyno at any different dyno in shoot out mode and the results will be 100% accurate regardless, its their new international standard so things are about to change. To my knowledge no other similar system exists for most other dynos which is why they can vary so much. From experience dynojets have the highest variability, I have seen 20HP+ differences from dynojets alone in only a few mile radius of each other (especially here in the south). Plus some shops artificially set their dynos high (whether intentionally or accidentally). Either way DD is the most accurate to real world, mustang a decent 2nd, but DJ is way behind (although it is very flattering, I must give it that).
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Oh so he did do a 160 MPH run ON a public highway in the State of California!!! Just wondering?? HMMM
Friday afternoon: 680 Mission exit to 880 south slow so I took a side street route and ended up on Dixon Landing.
880 South closed just before Mission/Warren exit. dunno why. No cars at all!!got on 880 south from Dixon Landing. An S2000 and I get on 880 at the same time..blew him by.
From Dixon Landing all the way down to Montague Expressway..hardly any cars..practically empty!
Just before getting to Calaveras/237 Exit, I see a 2007/2008 750 IL coming up fast in my rear view doing 80-85. I wait till he's one car behind and then I punched it. Still no cars ahead of us. I briefly looked at the speedo, voila 160mph!
I see a 911 get on 880 S from Montague and sticks to the middle lane right away where I was. I pass him from his right at about 130mph. At this time I could see slow traffic ahead so I slowed down. Moments later, the 750 pulls up to my left and gives me a thumbs up! I exited at Brokaw. Couldn't believe what just happened.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
You C32 guys would know better than me on what a stock C32 puts down on a dyno. I faild to see that his dyno run was with mods. So that being the case those numbers seem low for any dyno. Also Some dyno operators only do one pull and thats your number. I dont think thats the best way to do it. My car takes about 2 to 3 pulls to yield the highest numbers or most accurate numbers.

MY take is if you think its low, inspect your car make sure its working correctly. If the car is working fine than so be it. use that line to base future mods on. I think its important to note the Dyno really doent mean anything at all. I was pulling 342whp and 357wtq and still could brake my 13.2 (stock 291whp 301wtq) 1/4 record until the other day. So sure a dyno will show gains but how that plays out in the track is a different story. 1/4 mile times are the only real way to prove that you are faster.

loungn14's resent mods is an example of yielded the best real world gains. He was able to just about destroy his best 1/4 time, and land the best C32 time ever for that matter. Those are the numbers that really count, IMO Dyno numbers are for bar talk over some drinks (one of my fav. pass times).
Old 10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by loungn14
+1. I only dyno at 360 ish on the mustang.....it is depressing. The mustang and the dyno dynamics are the more "true" dynos out there. Take it for what its worth...
Actually, Dynapack Dynos are widely regarded to be the most accurate dynos I believe. Totally different approach/design - you remove the rear wheels and the dyno bolts up right to the hubs; way better sensitivity and repeatability. http://www.dynapackusa.com/differences.htm

As for what's a "true" dyno... who's to say? Just because they give low numbers, does that make it "true"? I agree w/ some of the other posts that these numbers look WAY low, given the power-adding mods. IF this was a stock run, I'd say it looked about right... but it isn't. However, I also agree w/ C3P that everything's speculation here, since the OP didn't bother to get a stock baseline

OP - take hooleyboy's advice; now that you've run at this dyno, keep going back to it after you change anything. Going from a mustang now, to a DJ later, to a DD, etc. will just chew up cash; it won't really yield you any useful data... too many variables.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Actually, Dynapack Dynos are widely regarded to be the most accurate dynos I believe. Totally different
OP - take hooleyboy's advice; now that you've run at this dyno, keep going back to it after you change anything. Going from a mustang now, to a DJ later, to a DD, etc. will just chew up cash; it won't really yield you any useful data... too many variables.
FYI
The resulting numbers represent the average of three pulls.
I totally appreciate the members' inputs and advice regarding this thread as we all continue in the pursuit of total power extraction from our beloved C32s and C55s. Keep it up
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1
FYI
The resulting numbers represent the average of three pulls.
I totally appreciate the members' inputs and advice regarding this thread as we all continue in the pursuit of total power extraction from our beloved C32s and C55s. Keep it up
While the stat's guy in me appreciates that approach, it might be part of your problem. Whenever I've gone to the dyno, the operator plays a huge role in how well each individual run turns out. Consequently, each time I went (one time stock, one so far modded) was roughly 6 pulls - and I've kept the best run from each group for comparison.

If you're averaging the three runs, you could've had one totally botched run thrown in among the other two, and is skewing the result to be way too low. I would suggest you separate the runs individually, and post up the #'s from the best one. My $0.02...