C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Code3 + ASP 1/4 mile results...Your children should leave the room

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Code3 + ASP 1/4 mile results...Your children should leave the room

Well it's pretty gruesome, but I figured I owe it to mankind to post my results one way or another. Let me just say that low-torque is amazing, and makes this thing move on the street. However, track results sucked! I will try to post up the time slips next week when I get back to work (where I left half of them... I just had to show off my disappointment to one of my coworkers). I actually still can't believe it, as my trap speeds were the same as the ASP alone

Anyway, I left the best timeslip at work, but the 2nd best run went like this:

Atco Raceway, NJ
40*F

60' - 1.862 (best of the night was 1.80!)
330' -5.293
1/8 - 8.142 @ 86.46
1000' - 10.589
1/4 - 12.669 @ 108.34 (Huge W.T.F.???)

I think my best run was a 12.60x @ 108.xx. I was getting great launches w/ 1.8xx 60's on every run, and a best of 1.80x with my cheap Firestone Fuzion street tires (I love those tires)!!! I am definitely not making the power up top, though. Once the car hits 3rd gear, it starts to taper off. I just remember waiting and waiting and waiting for the car to sift to 4th (where it would get a good jump as the RPM dropped back into the sweet spot). Finally, it would shift about two seconds before the finish line. I should be hitting 4th gear much sooner.

B.T.W. I'm not counting this pulley combination out yet. I'm going to try to set something up with TVT Design and Jerry to see if I can get this on a dyno to get the tune dialed in for this set-up. I'm hitting 22 lbs. of boost, so the mechanical potential should be there. It should at least produce the power the 185mm pulley does, as boost levels are very similar, however my MPH is way off what the 185 guys are running!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you are probably maxing out the boost intake and ECU is probably not allowing to run at full power.

I would suggest to remove the CP3 intake to bring down boost.

To date, I have not see the best set up for a upper and lower pulley car.

Therefore you are in new territory....
Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Eleventeen
I actually still can't believe it, as my trap speeds were the same as the ASP alone

1/4 - 12.669 @ 108.34 (Huge W.T.F.???)
Finally, it would shift about two seconds before the finish line. I should be hitting 4th gear much sooner.

B.T.W. I'm not counting this pulley combination out yet. I'm going to try to set something up with TVT Design and Jerry to see if I can get this on a dyno to get the tune dialed in for this set-up. I'm hitting 22 lbs. of boost, so the mechanical potential should be there. It should at least produce the power the 185mm pulley does, as boost levels are very similar, however my MPH is way off what the 185 guys are running!
The shifting thing is well known and all of us have that problem. It finally shifts a second or two before the 1/4. It sux, but what u gonna do.

The boosts are similar, however I do hit over 22lbs. Your mph is fine, I wouldnt worry about that too much. Your 12.6 is about right for your mods. Your only a couple of tenths off from all motor best.

What seems to me with all the data that I have seen is the c3 pully is great from the low end, and the asp helps with the top. You are still going to miss the top end of the 185.

I wouldnt be too disappointed with those results at all...thats about what I would expect.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by loungn14
The shifting thing is well known and all of us have that problem. It finally shifts a second or two before the 1/4. It sux, but what u gonna do.

The boosts are similar, however I do hit over 22lbs. Your mph is fine, I wouldnt worry about that too much. Your 12.6 is about right for your mods. Your only a couple of tenths off from all motor best.

What seems to me with all the data that I have seen is the c3 pully is great from the low end, and the asp helps with the top. You are still going to miss the top end of the 185.

I wouldnt be too disappointed with those results at all...thats about what I would expect.

Your DAs weren't mentioned??? Temp, humidity??

Anyway, this is almost exactly what I am running without a modded crank pulley at all. Only mods are a Code III intake, pulley and JerryTune. 12.7 @ 109.22. I don't believe that the crank pulley and the Code III is going to give us much more on "all motor" than what we already have. Jake is proof of that. I think to get below a 12.4 or so, we're going to have to go to the juice. Remember, the fastest right now is 12.3 and thats on the bottle.
You are only .3 tenths off the record on "motor only" so that's not a bad run. Or you could spend another $10K to Renntech it and still only run a 12.5. You're in the ballpark and in the hunt.

BUT hey, I'll take 12.6 or 12.7 all day long on motor only. Not many "street cars" on street tires doing that and that's exactly what you and I have done.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 10-25-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Very nice numbers!!!!! It's good to see you had fun.

-Aaron
Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 C55
What we need is some custom programming for the transmission shift points. My C55 drives me *nuts* with the way it shifts, even in 'manual' mode.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
[/B]

Your DAs weren't mentioned??? Temp, humidity??
Yeah, sorry about that; the info wasn't showing on the timeslips correctly. It was showing as 0*F and 100% humidity all night, but I didn't see any snow It was actually about 40*F, but I don't know what the humidity was like. Also, Atco is only a couple hundred feet above sea level (Actually a very fast track this time of year).
Old 10-25-2008, 01:14 PM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Nice numbers Eleventeen. I thought I was good with 12.9. Im jealous. Must get bigger pulley...must get bigger pulley.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
Nice numbers Eleventeen. I thought I was good with 12.9. Im jealous.[B] Must get bigger pulley...must get bigger pulley.
[/B

I honestly don't think that's the solution. If we are all running at 18-22 lbs of boost with 22 lbs being absolute max, then we are pretty much "pullied" out. I am at 18 lbs without triggering a CEL, so I am more than comfortable leaving it at that. Car is reliable as stink right now, so no need except for cooling mods to push the limits. With good traction, I believe I have a 12.4 to 12.5 car and thats fine with me.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
SPONSOR

[/B

I honestly don't think that's the solution. If we are all running at 18-22 lbs of boost with 22 lbs being absolute max, then we are pretty much "pullied" out. I am at 18 lbs without triggering a CEL, so I am more than comfortable leaving it at that. Car is reliable as stink right now, so no need except for cooling mods to push the limits. With good traction, I believe I have a 12.4 to 12.5 car and thats fine with me.
couldnt agree more...and I over boost all the time at the track....

If you want more you are talking headers/cams/internals...
Old 10-25-2008, 05:48 PM

05 C55
Yeah, sorry about that; the info wasn't showing on the timeslips correctly. It was showing as 0*F and 100% humidity all night, but I didn't see any snow It was actually about 40*F, but I don't know what the humidity was like. Also, Atco is only a couple hundred feet above sea level (Actually a very fast track this time of year).
yeah man. atco flies oct and nov...sorry things didnt work out the way you wanted. we'll catch up out there soon..
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 c32
Sent PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:57 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by mkonei
yeah man. atco flies oct and nov...sorry things didnt work out the way you wanted. we'll catch up out there soon..
Throwing more parts at a car isn't always better, but I still think the potential is there; I just have to figure out what's holding it back.

I'll let you know the next time I go to the track again, it'll be nice and cold.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
You’re running very quick and ought to be pleased with your progress and accomplishment, IMHO. Didn’t you get it up to 180 on your driveway the other day?

Your relatively soft MPH is perplexing, but that’s far better than a slug with a decent trap…like mine. There are several here who would be elated to record an all motor ET such as yours.

Discounting potential adiabatic inefficiencies that can occur at ~22 pounds of boost, that leaves only the omnipresent spark timing and mixture strength variables to tweak in order to optimize your existing combination. Any data logging and wideband information you could retrieve would be helpful with its diagnosis and optimization.

Congratulations on your outstanding times thus far. Well done.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
You’re running very quick and ought to be pleased with your progress and accomplishment, IMHO. Didn’t you get it up to 180 on your driveway the other day?

Your relatively soft MPH is perplexing, but that’s far better than a slug with a decent trap…like mine. There are several here who would be elated to record an all motor ET such as yours.

Discounting potential adiabatic inefficiencies that can occur at ~22 pounds of boost, that leaves only the omnipresent spark timing and mixture strength variables to tweak in order to optimize your existing combination. Any data logging and wideband information you could retrieve would be helpful with its diagnosis and optimization.

Haha, yeah it's a really long "driveway", but yes it did 180. That's another reason I was so surprised at my traps. I definitely thought I was making more power. It definitely feels stronger down low since the boost comes on so early, but I only trapped the same as when I had the ASP alone.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 AM

RENNtech C32 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter

what he said... but in more simple Joe Blo words like, how's the Air/fuel ratio? Do you need more Fuel? Is it getting too lean? Is there too much intake heat from the extra boost? Timing being pulled?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 AM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
I am running a 178mm ASP. If I had a 181 or 185 I would be faster. I aint pullied out yet, but wanna be.There is a difference between 18 or 22 lbs of boost.

[/B

Old 10-26-2008, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Eleventeen install a belt wrap that C3P is making....I think you are missing air on top....does the car feel like it hauls at 3/4 throttle and a little less at WOT? Try it....if so my friend you may be missing air on top and its hard to Tune a car if the right amount of air is not there at the top end....I say add a LET intake to your C3P intake as Glenn did and it could add the air you need up top to Tune properly. 12.6 is a fabulous number my friend be proud

I read in another thread somewhere that increased air flow helps lowers boost is this right?

Last edited by c32used; 10-26-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

I believe I have a 12.4 to 12.5 car and thats fine with me.
If Fongflex was able to do a 12.38 with just Rentech 178mm and software and on street tires then we all have a chance to get the same times or better...its practice, practice,practice launching as he did my friend and its possible
Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
I am running a 178mm ASP. If I had a 181 or 185 I would be faster. I aint pullied out yet, but wanna be.There is a difference between 18 or 22 lbs of boost.
I say keep trying different tracks and getting your launches down...the record for 178mm pulley alone with software is 12.38 so it shows you have a chance with better practice

Now I don't recall exactly all of Fongflexs' mods but I think headers may be in there

I found this when he did a 12.57@110: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....5&postcount=61

here when he ran a 12.38: added Monolites https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....&postcount=154
Old 10-26-2008, 12:07 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
Eleventeen install a belt wrap that C3P is making....I think you are missing air on top....does the car feel like it hauls at 3/4 throttle and a little less at WOT? Try it....if so my friend you may be missing air on top and its hard to Tune a car if the right amount of air is not there at the top end....I say add a LET intake to your C3P intake as Glenn did and it could add the air you need up top to Tune properly. 12.6 is a fabulous number my friend be proud

I read in another thread somewhere that increased air flow helps lowers boost is this right?
Good thoughts; I guess airflow is a possibility, but I actually incorporated a belt wrap solution when I first installed this combo back in May. I get about 70% belt wrap and experience no drop-off of boost.

I also checked Dragtimes, and once I post up my slips, I'll have the fastest 60' time for a C32 at 1.80x. More practice can only help, but My E.T. is actually very good for the low MPH I'm hitting; I should definitely be trapping higher. If I could get 4-5 more MPH out of it (not too much to ask with these mods as this is where the 185mm guys are trapping with similar boost), I would be able to knock off several thenths. I'll get this figured out though. I kind of entered into uncharted territory with this set-up, so there is a lot to be learned and I DEFINITELY appreciate your ideas and suggestions so keep them coming; There's something I'm missing here and I think this set-up has great possibilities once it is figured out. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the results.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Unless you have upgraded injectors, and the proper tuning to utilize them, I would not drive your car at full boost. The simply fact is, your car is running dangerously lean. The car will make a TON of torque all the way to 4800rpm, then things get ugly. When LET did the tune for the dual pulley, they did not have any belt wrap setup. Because of the extreme amount of belt slip encountered, there doesnt initially appear to be any problems on the dyno. But once you add belt wrap into the equation, the tune can no longer compensate, and your injectors go static. Check out the dyno below. It has a tune + water/meth injection, and its not safe. We let off as soon as AF went through the roof.

On a different note, here is a dyno below with a mid size SC Pulley that I created. The dyno is a 178 + mid size. This is what I was working on for the 178 crowd. A sensible upgrade. The dyno below has no tuning. I put the overlay up from the stock 178 dyno. You can see it creates great additional power. +30rwtq peak +36rwtq curve - +15rwhp peak +30rwhp curve OVER the 178 on its own!

Best Regards,

Brandon

Last edited by Code3 Performance; 10-26-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:48 PM
SPONSOR

Good thoughts; I guess airflow is a possibility, but I actually incorporated a belt wrap solution when I first installed this combo back in May. I get about 70% belt wrap and experience no drop-off of boost.

I also checked Dragtimes, and once I post up my slips, I'll have the fastest 60' time for a C32 at 1.80x. More practice can only help, but My E.T. is actually very good for the low MPH I'm hitting; I should definitely be trapping higher. If I could get 4-5 more MPH out of it (not too much to ask with these mods as this is where the 185mm guys are trapping with similar boost), I would be able to knock off several thenths. I'll get this figured out though. I kind of entered into uncharted territory with this set-up, so there is a lot to be learned and I DEFINITELY appreciate your ideas and suggestions so keep them coming; There's something I'm missing here and I think this set-up has great possibilities once it is figured out. I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the results.
The only issues with that is when you retune for the high mph and high end you loose a little of your low end torque. I have been working with Jerry on this for about a year now...I was able to get a 1.76 60' but the car would fall on its face after that almost struggling to get up to speed at top of 3rd/4th

I settled for the classic curve throught the entire range and couldnt be happier.

With my replaced sc intercooler I should easily be hitting 12 flat or very high 11's in good weather.

In actuality...4-5mph is a lot....
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Unless you have upgraded injectors, and the proper tuning to utilize them, I would not drive your car at full boost. The simply fact is, your car is running dangerously lean. The car will make a TON of torque all the way to 4800rpm, then things get ugly. When LET did the tune for the dual pulley, they did not have any belt wrap setup. Because of the extreme amount of belt slip encountered, there doesnt initially appear to be any problems on the dyno. But once you add belt wrap into the equation, the tune can no longer compensate, and your injectors go static. Check out the dyno below. It has a tune + water/meth injection, and its not safe. We let off as soon as AF went through the roof.

Best Regards,

Brandon
good info brandon, very similar to what we saw when you were in chicago..and yes very dangerous indeed...
Old 10-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Good info, Brandon. Appreciate you sharing that A/F reading.

Any chance C3P is planning on offering larger injectors in the future?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Code3 + ASP 1/4 mile results...Your children should leave the room