Help! Need quick answer!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Help! Need quick answer!

My car is at the shop getting a few things done and while there I am having them install a C3P Pulley. They just sent me these pictures at work and said it is not fitting properly. Rather than the typical shim/space moving the pulley away from the supercharger, this needs to move closer to the engine/supercharger.
What the hell is going on here? Shop guy is waiting to hear from me so prompt replies are greatly appreicated!

This is what the Benz tech had to say:

"I installed it with the factory shims. To correctly install it, it needs more shims to get the correct spacing. This will only exaggerate the problem even more. Shimming the idler will not correct the problem. It will have belt throwing or breaking issues. please let me know what the makers say about it."

First pic is C3P, second is stock pulley.
Attached Thumbnails Help!  Need quick answer!-1.jpg   Help!  Need quick answer!-2.jpg   Help!  Need quick answer!-3.jpg   Help!  Need quick answer!-4.jpg  

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 11-04-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Ok, if not a quick reply, does anyone have Aaron or Brandons Cell #s? Please PM if you have it.

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 11-04-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
My car is at the shop getting a few things done and while there I am having them install a C3P Pulley. They just sent me these pictures at work and said it is not fitting properly. Rather than the typical shim/space moving the pulley away from the supercharger, this needs to move closer to the engine/supercharger.
What the hell is going on here? Shop guy is waiting to hear from me so prompt replies are greatly appreicated!

This is what the Benz tech had to say:

"I installed it with the factory shims. To correctly install it, it needs more shims to get the correct spacing. This will only exaggerate the problem even more. Shimming the idler will not correct the problem. It will have belt throwing or breaking issues. please let me know what the makers say about it."

First pic is C3P, second is stock pulley.
OK, I had no problems at all on the install; In fact, I used about three of the shims he sent and the clearance was perfect. It has to be a shim issue; To be clear, is it too CLOSE or too far away on clearance?? You DO NOT have to use the shims if its too far away; Also, was it allowed to cool before install???
Old 11-04-2008, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
This is ridiculous...where to start. We all know the benz mechanics are special. I had no idea just HOW special some of them truly are. I leave work early to go see this big problem in person. Both pullies were off when I got there and the "technician" working on my car was nowhere to be found. So I put the C3P pulley on myself, first with no shims at all. After all, the kid told me this was in fact too FAR from the SC and needed to be as far back (no shims) as possible. I tried it with no shims and wouldn't you know it, it needed a shim added. I add a couple shims, try again, and still it need more (not less as the tech specifically stated and tried to show in what turns out to be a S exaggerated picture). Finally after adding nearly all the extra shims I had, it looked to line up damn near spot on. About that time the technician walks up and tells me the pulley wont work (before he sees what I've been doing). I showed him how it looked and he seemed very surprised and asked what I did. I told him I ADDED shims which is what I told him to do over the phone but apparently the message was long in translation. He tightened it up, fired up the car, she purred like a kitten and the alignment looked as good as stock to me.
So its on there now and I never had a chance to really get on it but it sure makes the C3P intake sound 100 times better! That alone is almost worth it. That reminds me, I was going to do the ole ECU reset trick thingy (technical term).
But seriously, what are the qualifications to be a benz tech these days!? Go to jail or work for Mercedes backshop?
I'm a regular at the shop and the manager is awesome. He's really the only reason I continue to go back and the only reason I'm not bashing their name all over the boards. But crap like that gets on my last nerve of the day.
Thanks Scott for the number. Turns out I don't need it after all.
Sorry to come on here panicking for answers when it turns out to be nothing!
Thanks guys....time for a beer. *sigh*
Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Trevor:

I just saw your email and thread. I will be calling you shortly. Brandon is unfortunately at SEMA and will be back in a couple days.

Talk to you soon.

-Aaron
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Trevor:

I just saw your email and thread. I will be calling you shortly. Brandon is unfortunately at SEMA and will be back in a couple days.

Talk to you soon.

-Aaron
Sema for the win... i was suppose to leave this wednesday... but cant go

NO worries, brandon or Aron will answer your Qs
Old 11-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
Sema for the win... i was suppose to leave this wednesday... but cant go

NO worries, brandon or Aron will answer your Qs

Ouch! Sorry to hear you couldn't make it. I went the past few years but unfortunately was too swamped to make it this year. Brandon is attending, which will open to doors to fabricators, etc. We're hoping this alleviates some of the current delays.

-Aaron

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Thanks for the call Aaron. Let me know how things turn out with the fabricator.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Thanks for the call Aaron. Let me know how things turn out with the fabricator.
You're very welcome!

I definitely will. I have my guillotine ready.

I'll be in touch soon.

Regards,

Aaron
Old 11-05-2008, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I went for a joy ride a bit ago while the roads are cleared and let me tell you - doing the ole ECU reset trick made a HUGE difference! I forgot just how much of a difference that can make if you don't do it for awhile. If any of you haven't done it in awhile...dooo it.