C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

thinking about adding 100lbs to my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Sig stays till parts flow...........................
nah was talkin about the other guy's pic that takes up the whole screen
Old 11-06-2008, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
Although most here would advocate for getting a used E55 from a dollar/performance point of view, I can understand your desire to keep the C55. The one thing the C55 has over the E55 is much improved handling and nimbleness. Even in stock form, an average driver in a C55 can overtake an average driver in a E55 on a twisty circuit (I've experienced this personally).

With a supercharger, the C55 potentially becomes comparable to the C63 when it comes to acceleration. Whether this seems "enough" or "worth it" is up to you.

If I went with a supercharger, I would go with the Kleeman setup.

Car & Driver actually tested a Kleeman supercharged C55 a few years ago. The tested car had the supercharger with intercooler, ECU tune, headers, bigger downpipes, free flowing catalysts, and "straight through mufflers and resonators".

0-60mph: 3.8 seconds
0-100mph: 8.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.2 seconds @ 117mph
5-60mph: 3.9 seconds

Here is the same data from Car & Driver for a stock C63
0-60mph: 3.9 seconds
0-100mph: 9.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.3 seconds @ 116mph
5-60mph: 4.2 seconds

And here is the data from Car & Driver for a stock E55
0-60mph: 4.2 seconds
0-100mph: 9.9 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.5 seconds @ 115mph
Josh (AMGDragon) recorded a 11.997@117.79

I ran averages of 12.4@116 last Sat and Sun on two damaged cylinders, a vacuum leak, lean AFR, street tires,19" 24lb rims, ESP on, 91 gas, 80F and lousy first time drag racing skills. My 1/8 traps were still the best of ALL C55s at 93mph while, both Kleemann S8s and the Renntech C55 were in the 89-91mph range.

Come Dec 6th, I will correct all of the above and I'm positive I will break into the 11's and that will help the resale value of my Kleemann Blower which I am looking to sell for $7K.

These cars are just NOT mod friendly unless you lower the CR. I just checked Dragtimes.com and compared the C55 to M3s and S4s. Josh's C55 was ranked 34th among the 3 cars. Even if I break into the 11's I would still be ranked below the top 10.

Last edited by AMGSC; 11-06-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Bicycle
Before any tuning,LSD, & cams I ran a 12'4 dynoing around 365 with low bottle pressure. After tuning and cams I was dynoing above 400rwhp and that was just a 50 shot and a safe a/f ratio. Save the money hooley and consider nos and some lite weight stuff and you will accomplish what you looking for without breaking the bank unless you got mney to throw away.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c55asleep?
Before any tuning,LSD, & cams I ran a 12'4 dynoing around 365 with low bottle pressure. After tuning and cams I was dynoing above 400rwhp and that was just a 50 shot and a safe a/f ratio. Save the money hooley and consider nos and some lite weight stuff and you will accomplish what you looking for without breaking the bank unless you got mney to throw away.
Damn I wonder what granny in Naples is driving that whip now?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by dkflipse
Damn I wonder what granny in Naples is driving that whip now?

LOL
Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
forget all this supercharger talk I think I'm going to go with a remote mount turbo set up from STS turbos. they have universal kits for remote mounting in the rear of the car for much less then any Supercharger you can get for the C55.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
forget all this supercharger talk I think I'm going to go with a remote mount turbo set up from STS turbos. they have universal kits for remote mounting in the rear of the car for much less then any Supercharger you can get for the C55.

i like that idea!
Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC

Buying that kit is simple as long as you got the money.. However, what will you use to tune the a/f ratio?? I highly doubt theres a standalone ECU for our cars..
Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
well i would be cautious. I read there people who done the rear mounted turbo in the past and it didn't work out very well.

Also thats a lot of distance the air has to travel into the intake and back out to the exhaust.

I think you might run into some efficency issues.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I would imagine piping the front would make me loose my Renntech airbox and most likely my window washer reservoir. Running the oil feed lines would be no easy task i would think. 140whp gain on 5psi of boost. (thats what they claim.) I'm going to run it by my local shop. I'm sure if it can be done they can do it. They also claim that an intercooler would not really be needed as the turbo is so far away. STS does offer intercooler options though. They also claim their turbos run up to 500 degrees cooler than engine mount turbos. Twin turbo C55 that would be unreal.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
well i would be cautious. I read there people who done the rear mounted turbo in the past and it didn't work out very well.

Also thats a lot of distance the air has to travel into the intake and back out to the exhaust.

I think you might run into some efficency issues.
After watching a ton of videos online about STS turbos Horsepower TV says there is a 1 psi lose in the distance. but that is made up with a 500 degree heat lose from standard mount turbos. IF I do it is still up in the air alot of things have to be thought out, but the idea in its self would be fun.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Buying that kit is simple as long as you got the money.. However, what will you use to tune the a/f ratio?? I highly doubt theres a standalone ECU for our cars..
Thats exactly what I'm thinking. I would think renntech would do another custom map for me, but then again maybe they wont as i didnt buy their supercharger. I'm sure my local shop would have a solution for me. Or maybe one of the sponsors on the forum would like to put there name on a turbo benz. The Sl600 is a twin turbo and lots of the tuners have maps for that so I would think it could be done.

buying the turbo kit is one thing getting it installed is another then tuning it. there are hurdles that will have to be jumped. also my plans on lowering the car would not be a good idea as it would risk damaging the the new pipes.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 11-10-2008 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

After watching a ton of videos online about STS turbos Horsepower TV says there is a 1 psi lose in the distance. but that is made up with a 500 degree heat lose from standard mount turbos. IF I do it is still up in the air alot of things have to be thought out, but the idea in its self would be fun.
you also have to keep in mind that our cars actually have rear independent suspension and not the torsen beam or live rear axel suspension from a oxen car thats on domestic cars. So there's a lot more going on in the rear then domestics.

When LET were working on there rear mounted turbo project, they had to cut out the spare wheel whell.

I think your going to have to do a lot of custom work...you car's probably going to be sitting in the shop for a couple of months.

I dont think it'll be a very bolt on affair. You might end spending as much as the supecharger just from all the custom work and labor. Just something you maybe want to think about.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i just looked at the sts universal kit...i would be cautious about buying $2-3k turbo kits. They don't even tell you what kind of turbo your getting, what the specs are or what kind of waste gate. From my experience $2-3k turbo kits are Pieces of Cr*p

Any decent turbo kit will run you about $4-5k at least. Even the LET turbo kit was going to be around $6600-7k just for a basic setup.

This kit is slightly above buying turbo kits on ebay..i think you should just find a local mercedes tuner and have him piece together a kit or start doing more research on turbos if your going the custom turbo route.

You should figure out what you want to do, if you want to go twin turbo or a single large turbo. Depending on what you want to do, one is better then the other, but not always.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
you also have to keep in mind that our cars actually have rear independent suspension and not the torsen beam or live rear axel suspension from a oxen car thats on domestic cars. So there's a lot more going on in the rear then domestics.

When LET were working on there rear mounted turbo project, they had to cut out the spare wheel whell.

I think your going to have to do a lot of custom work...you car's probably going to be sitting in the shop for a couple of months.

I dont think it'll be a very bolt on affair. You might end spending as much as the supecharger just from all the custom work and labor. Just something you maybe want to think about.
here is a cool video of them
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F...6-is_87092.htm
Old 11-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
i just looked at the sts universal kit...i would be cautious about buying $2-3k turbo kits. They don't even tell you what kind of turbo your getting, what the specs are or what kind of waste gate. From my experience $2-3k turbo kits are Pieces of Cr*p

Any decent turbo kit will run you about $4-5k at least. Even the LET turbo kit was going to be around $6600-7k just for a basic setup.

This kit is slightly above buying turbo kits on ebay..i think you should just find a local mercedes tuner and have him piece together a kit or start doing more research on turbos if your going the custom turbo route.

You should figure out what you want to do, if you want to go twin turbo or a single large turbo. Depending on what you want to do, one is better then the other, but not always.
The turbos are make by Garrett for STS, From what i know Garrett makes good stuff, I'm just thinking about it right now before i drop any loot on anything I want to see what my options are. Dyno-Comp, my local tuner is very smart when it comes to turbos. If they dont think its a good idea then it wont be done.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah its buts not going to be as easy as the video makes it out to be. The unverisal kits on that site are already missing items that were shown on the video. You will need to buy additional items to finish the kit.

You should honestly just piece together your own kit. Maybe PM erick and get his feedback.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The turbos are make by Garrett for STS, From what i know Garrett makes good stuff, I'm just thinking about it right now before i drop any loot on anything I want to see what my options are. Dyno-Comp, my local tuner is very smart when it comes to turbos. If they dont think its a good idea then it wont be done.
garret makes great turbos, but they also make different size turbos and they spoon at different rates. How are you going to know if your turbo is working efficently if you dont know the specs?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
yeah its buts not going to be as easy as the video makes it out to be. The unverisal kits on that site are already missing items that were shown on the video. You will need to buy additional items to finish the kit.

You should honestly just piece together your own kit. Maybe PM erick and get his feedback.
Very true, I have to head back to the shop today so I will talk with Richard the owner of Dyno-Comp and the Renntech guys over there and see what they think. If it works out that would be killer. Again there are tons of hurdles that have to be jumped. If I do a custom turbo set up i bet i could get a nice deal from them on some turbos. I think the LET set up (its a shame if wont get finished) also would have included intake manifold, non-SC pulley, new belt so all that stuff can add up. I hope when i got into dyno comp today they dont tell me im stupid for even thinking about.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
garret makes great turbos, but they also make different size turbos and they spoon at different rates. How are you going to know if your turbo is working efficently if you dont know the specs?
Thats one of those things i'm going to have to find out. Keep the good points coming so i can ask the right questions when i go to the shop
Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Plumbing the intake pips up to the front wont be easy for sure.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
I had good bit of experiences of Turbocharged cars and not having a watercooled or aircooled Intercooler is a big no no.. Don't believe everything they say on the web. I'm a little skeptical about 140rwhp @ 5psi as well.. Yes, having your turbos back of your car may run cooler but it can also suck up a lot more debris from the road as well. That includes water.. Main point is, it will still blow hot air into your engine w/o any cooling device.

Keep in mind that having a turbocharger will leave you with some slow throttle-response (also known as turbolag).. Having turbos far away from the engine will cause more lag.

Yes! 600 modles use twin turbo but they are on different engine. That means different compression, fuel map, timing, etc etc. Slight mistuning can cause major damage to your engine. That's something you def don't want and we def don't want to see that as well.. I read somewhere that replacement engine for our car cost $15k +

Personally, I wouldn't let any local shops do this kind of upgrades. Try to consult with Underground racing in Charlotte, NC or Heffner(sp?). They put turbo chargers on viper / lambo / ford GT and they are well known for building reliable kits for high end cars. Remember that this is a major mod and you cannot cut any short cuts!! Can't be skimpy on the price! Go with the best and let the best do this for you.

I would think very hard about this one before you make the call

E46 M3s alreay have their own turbo kits and receiving good feedbacks from public. I wish you the best with your project and looking forward to see M3 TT killa !!

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 11-10-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

here's some good article to bring you up to speed on the basics. Once you understand the basics then you can plan out what you want.

You dont want to lego build this or your going to end up spending a lot more money then you planned.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=219

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=325
Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
With 2 snails it will be a monster!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by c32used
With 2 snails it will be a monster!
You are not kidding, its at least worth looking into.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: thinking about adding 100lbs to my car