C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Will the %$#^& Stepper Motor ever burn out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Will the %$#^& Stepper Motor ever burn out?

The C32 developed its second stepper motor problem about 2 months ago -- this time out of warranty. I refused to pay the $850 demanded by the dealer to replace it and decided to live with it. Anyone else decide to live with it? And does the f'ing thing ever burn out? I'd love nothing more to see a little plum of smoke come out of the dashboard one morning and have the damn thing stop clicking for 20 seconds everytime I start the car. What a stupid design.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by Slater126
The C32 developed its second stepper motor problem about 2 months ago -- this time out of warranty. I refused to pay the $850 demanded by the dealer to replace it and decided to live with it. Anyone else decide to live with it? And does the f'ing thing ever burn out? I'd love nothing more to see a little plum of smoke come out of the dashboard one morning and have the damn thing stop clicking for 20 seconds everytime I start the car. What a stupid design.
It is a stupid design, leads to how mercedes makes their moolah when you bring yours in for a replacement motor.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Mine is doing that currently as well. I have aftermarket warranty that will cover it but I haven't found the time to drop the car off and get it done. It is extremely annoying though and I've been living with it for the past month +. If it dies and shuts up I may not even bother bringing it in for repair. It's worthless in my book.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:31 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Mine is doing that currently as well. I have aftermarket warranty that will cover it but I haven't found the time to drop the car off and get it done. It is extremely annoying though and I've been living with it for the past month +. If it dies and shuts up I may not even bother bringing it in for repair. It's worthless in my book.
If you've got the W, bring it in and get it fixed! It's not going to die and shut up. It's been 2 months man, and it's not getting quiet. Seems to be getting louder if anything. I mean, it's the the point where I really wish it would. Hell, if it burned half the dashboard along with it, I'd probably just sit there with a crazy smile and a psychotic gleem in my eye! Make 'em fix it, and see if they'll replace the 4 others in there while they're at it.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:41 AM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
It is a stupid design, leads to how mercedes makes their moolah when you bring yours in for a replacement motor.
Stupid indeed. I had cars with the old lever system for HVAC and it worked just fine. Why complicate something so relatively simple?
Old 11-27-2008, 08:32 AM

C32 AMG
i have lived with it for 1 year plus and don't really take notice of it anymore like i used to...
Old 11-27-2008, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
the motor will not burn out since the noise in not inside the motor. THe noise comes when the square shaft of the stepper motor rotates inside the arm which moves the vent. the arm cracks and the square shaft rotates inside the arm making the click. The motors are usually good and require replacement of the arm only which is a 8 or 9 dollar part. Labor is intensive depending on which arm is cracked. Updated arms are thicker.
The following users liked this post:
NickandBenji (09-30-2016)
Old 11-27-2008, 02:17 PM

2002 C32, 2011 VW GTI
Originally Posted by SUNILP
the motor will not burn out since the noise in not inside the motor. THe noise comes when the square shaft of the stepper motor rotates inside the arm which moves the vent. the arm cracks and the square shaft rotates inside the arm making the click. The motors are usually good and require replacement of the arm only which is a 8 or 9 dollar part. Labor is intensive depending on which arm is cracked. Updated arms are thicker.
These cars are so sophisticated that you'd think there'd be a way to instruct the HVAC computer to simply shut off the offending motor, or send a high voltage charge into it to zap it out. Thoughts?
Old 11-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by Slater126
These cars are so sophisticated that you'd think there'd be a way to instruct the HVAC computer to simply shut off the offending motor, or send a high voltage charge into it to zap it out. Thoughts?
I think that feature is limited to the Mars lunar landers.

Sorry!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
all the motors in the HVAC system are tied to each other via a 3 conductor ribbon cable. It is a pretty intelligent system but unfortunately you cannot turn one off since benz did not think they would have this problem.