Seats are a pain in the a$$.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Seats are a pain in the a$$.

So I've isolated my current drain to the passenger power seat module. I cannot find a price better than $370, so I may do the wiring mod.

Somehow, along the way, I managed to screw up the heating circuit in my driver's seat. The heater doesn't work, and the switch lights don't come on. The simplest answer is that the fuse is dead (and I'll check that this weekend). Second answer is I screwed up something when plugging/ unplugging the driver seat module (when diagnosing).

Any other ideas?

PS: My lower seat cushion heater died last winter and was replaced under warrant (with a mismatching leather of course). Now THAT seat bottom heater is not working.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
If you're talking about the seat control module. I'm pretty sure when I bought a new one from duvalmotor (sfoster/trademotion) cars, it was around 220 usd. Pulling it out + installing the new one took about 20 minutes.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
check that the harness (closest to the middle of the car - 4 wire) is completely seated correctly.

For the lights to come on it has to have a complete circuit through the seat and back out to the module in the dash.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
I think one of the other threads say that W211 modules will work?
If so, there's this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...18#ht_1515wt_0

Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Tell me about the seat heaters... Dealer replaced mine twice for driver's side.. Now, driver side doesn't work again n so is the pass side bottom heater..
Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Tell me about the seat heaters... Dealer replaced mine twice for driver's side.. Now, driver side doesn't work again n so is the pass side bottom heater..
They replaced mine, but put in a bottom with a different texture leather (flat versus shiny). I called the dealership and said I'd rather have the old seat bottom without heat than a mismatched one with heat. They said they'd retrieve it. They never did. Now I have the mismatched seat without heat.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
They replaced mine, but put in a bottom with a different texture leather (flat versus shiny). I called the dealership and said I'd rather have the old seat bottom without heat than a mismatched one with heat. They said they'd retrieve it. They never did. Now I have the mismatched seat without heat.
They tried to do that to mine as well but I talked then in to doing the whole seat after MUCH debate. I'm with you, I would rather have a non heated seat than some tacky mismatched job.

Since your parts were recently replaced, are the parts alone not covered by their own MFG warranty? Most parts have at least a years warranty. I'm sure you've already looked into that, but if not, it's worth a shot. The dealership will have all the service records and dates of repair to easily verify for you.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I think one of the other threads say that W211 modules will work?
If so, there's this:

Thanks for the lead. I'm getting one shipped to me. Less than half of what I would have paid. Now to get the heaters working....
Old 12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
hey fifth ring..i emailed you back. let me know if you didnt get it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
hey fifth ring..i emailed you back. let me know if you didnt get it.
Got it.

Update for others -- the replacement module did not work at all. Kind of odd. The original module worked fine, but sucked down the battery. This "recycled" unit was completely dead. So I re-installed the old one for now and may try the wiring mod.

PS: Removing the module is not THAT easy. Getting the four plugs out of the back side of the module is a bit of a *****. Once you know how they pull out, it's easier (you can do it by feel), but trying to see them and pull them was pretty hard. Putting the seat all the way back didn't help matters!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

did you raise the seat all the way up? when i put it back and raised it all the way up..it gave me enough space to take out the torex screws.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have both of my modules completely removed.. and I left just enough space to place them back..but it will a tight fit.

I'm still having issues with something drawing current..

and at night I disconnect the ground wire from the strut location.

I also disconnected my overhead module that operates the sunroof and lights..

Took my car to Kragen to test bettery and alternator.. and both were find (if the car is on)

I had a shop test the draw while the car was off, but found the battery was only sending .17 amps of current while the car was off.

I guess I need a StarDiag system to find the issue.

I have noticed that car makes a slight high pitch frequency sound when I accelerate. Sound likes a sound amplifier not grounded.. and I have a feeling is related to my issues.

I had a body shop install a door motor recently.. and ever since, I had battery drian problems.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
I have both of my modules completely removed.. and I left just enough space to place them back..but it will a tight fit.

I'm still having issues with something drawing current..

and at night I disconnect the ground wire from the strut location.

I also disconnected my overhead module that operates the sunroof and lights..

Took my car to Kragen to test bettery and alternator.. and both were find (if the car is on)

I had a shop test the draw while the car was off, but found the battery was only sending .17 amps of current while the car was off.

I guess I need a StarDiag system to find the issue.

I have noticed that car makes a slight high pitch frequency sound when I accelerate. Sound likes a sound amplifier not grounded.. and I have a feeling is related to my issues.

I had a body shop install a door motor recently.. and ever since, I had battery drian problems.
do you have command in your car? i remember reading a defect where sometimes the small fan in command wouldn't turn off when the car was off.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nope.. no Navi.

the overhead module was making a small buzz when the car was off.. (placed the ear right next to it)

so I removed the power cable and the buzz is off.

I have not had the ***** to leave the car without disconnecting the battery, since its my daily driver and I don't want the new battery to drain.

So I'm unplug the ground wire every night...