In a Drastic turn of Events!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
It was a spur of the moment buy. Seen it on Ebay and said F-it, I'm buying it. IF I dont buy it I would have been all over the place with what I wanted to do. Trust me I value most members opinion.
hahahahah EBAY oh NO .
Old 01-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
...... Trust me I value most members opinion.
Then trust me, listen to Vadim. You will need to sell the doghouse just to pay for the pain you are about to take on otherwise.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
hahahahah EBAY oh NO .
Don't laugh. I bought a rebuilt C32 OEM S/C on ebay for... well, let's just say, you would not believe what an incredible price I got.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Don't laugh. I bought a rebuilt C32 OEM S/C on ebay for... well, let's just say, you would not believe what an incredible price I got.
Don't take it the wrong way, reason i'm laughing is Hooly caught the MOD bug on EBAY.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
Don't take it the wrong way, reason i'm laughing is Hooly caught the MOD bug on EBAY.
I had it for a long time. This is The first thing for my car Ive bought on ebay. The last one that wan on ebay this complete went for $4500 so at 2K it looked like a deal to me. I'm going to be optimistic about this whole thing. I have a lot of faith in the shop i'm using and the custom tune i will get. Some questions I got running around in my head. Could I use a stock E55 heat exchanger? should I go aftermarket? IC pump? I trying to build up my will and say I will not fail at this project! But if it does fail I'm just going to punch the motor out and race it in the outlaw 10.5 class. I dont even know what that means but yeah. Thank god I dont do drugs because i couldn't afford anymore bad habits.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG sold!
If you can get a headgasket to lower the compression and someone willing to tune
the car with some sort of injection you should be able to pull it off. But from the race
stories and temptation you post I doubt the car will last.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
LOl... Its going to be a long road ahead, so, be prepare to open that piggy bank. Keep the wife in the dark on this one, you'll need it. I believe your car will do fine with a C32 IC front mount, and get a johnson IC pump.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Renntech also said something about a thicker head gasket. Im sure the guys at Dyno-Comp will be able to get this done They did it to an S430, but Thats no C55 though. I got the shop working on it and they were stoked when i told them I bought this SC. Two main techs there know they can get this done Then its going to be about getting the car dialed in. I'm going to be rummaging through their parts bin to see if any H/E and what not are kicking around.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I know I could have custom head gaskets made. Should I? Help drop the Compression? Cometic Gasket Inc. makes custom gaskets to any thickness.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Would be safer since you want to keep ur CAR rite.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
You should have gotten in on the Kleeman deal that Cory had on their kit this Christmas. With Kleeman, you get service, reliability, and support that comes with a quality product. Doing it your way will end up costing you $10,000 easily and you are on your own if something fails. Like if your intercooler core leaks, you will end up needing to buy your own. If something like that happened on a Kleemanized car, they will have your bases covered.

You will need to write a long list of parts you need to install that AMG supercharger on your motor. AMG motor has dished/domed pistons to lower the compression ratio.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM

C55
run a bigger pulley to scale the power. and then figure out what kleeman did to tune, i believe the stock injectors can handle the power.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 996 Turbo, 05 CLK55 AMG
I would agree it can be done and it will not be a cheap project... what is your plans of conroling sc clutch ?

best of luck !
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by SaMaS
I would agree it can be done and it will not be a cheap project... what is your plans of conroling sc clutch ?

best of luck !
Hows this for an answer.... I have no idea??? any suggestions?
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
You need a SMALLER crank pulley, not larger. 11.0:1 is high but E46 M3's have 11.5:1 and basic SC kits run 7PSI on 11.5:1 on them. The stage 2 SC kit is 9psi on 11.5:1 but thats with alcohol injection & etc. High CP can handle decent amount of boost if you have the right software & intercooler & etc, but again its not easy to do. 12-15PSI is definitely way too much. However it is important to note... AA tuning uses centrifugal type SC's which provide the most boost at high rpms, twin screws are totally different animal so even 7-9 may be pushing it, I'd say 6-7psi is probably safe but anything more then that is dangerous IMO.

Unfortunately nobody makes smaller crank pulleys for 55k motors, ours is the smallest and its stock diameter and even that is questionable but it may work with with the right kind of boost bypass if you can figure out how to do it (either manually or electronically), either way you are in even more unchartered territory than Sunil b/c at least he transplanted a 55K motor with lower comp ratio.

Good luck, you certainly have bigger cajones than most
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
If you were to use stock sized crank pulley, you could then bypass the SC clutch and run a larger Supercharger pulley that was active all the time, then it would potentially be able to bypass the SC clutch engagement and also able you to fine tune PSI to say 6-8PSI, that is probably your best bet. Again, that would require expert tuning but realistically that is your best bet because you cannot go any smaller on the crank pulley side so your only other option is larger pulley on the supercharger.

Last edited by AMS Performance; 01-10-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:42 AM

C55
i meant larger pulley on the supercharger?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 AM

C55
lowering compression ratio and/or headgasket work starts open the can of worms. new bolts etc. the cheapest option is to modify the s/c unit itself
Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by crazeazn
i meant larger pulley on the supercharger?
correct, this will solve many of the problems. And since its technically an NA C55 ECU and not a E55K ECU, it will actually be easier to run a standard non-clutch based supercharger pulley and then just tune accordingly so that may actually work out to Hooleys benefit. Either way, he has to keep stock crank pulley diameter and then modify the SC pulley itself accordingly. Most of the kinks will have to be worked out in the tuning once he gets the pulley to the right size. Code 3 may be able to make a larger one off custom pulley for him for the SC (or any good local machine shop as small non harmonic dampened SC pulleys are very small and relatively easy to make).
Old 01-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I think it also should be noted that AMS is sending me out there new E55 crank pulley free of charge! Talk about taking care of their customers. AMS has gone above and beyond on this one for sure. Thats one less thing I will have to buy. Between what Dyno-comp (local installer) is doing for me and AMS coming through with a pulley this is already headed in the right direction. I'm not a guy who counts my eggs before they hatch, But just imagine this project goes smoothly wouldn't that be something. When this is all said and done I hope to have some good info for anyone else willing to take on this kind of project. I will also be very honest about the money I put into this project as I feel thats one of the biggest hurdles. Lets see if we can be worthy of the Kompressor badge.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 01-10-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 AM

AMG C43, 1999
I would think that if you pull the pistons out and have the domes or tops milled to reach the correct compression ration your are after then you would be in good shape. Send the pistons off to Swaintech for a thermal coating on the top to help limit detonation. If you want to rering the stock pistons you could send the block back to Millinuinm Technologys (sp?). They have all the right tooling and hones to work with the Nikasil type bore coating.

Then assemble the damn thing, pull the ECU map out of the E55 komp motors and plug it into your ECU, if possible and with the right injectors you should be pretty close.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Glad we could help out Hooley.

honestly the easiest route is to just get the smaller supercharger pulley and retune the NA C55 ECU. At 6-7psi you probably wouldn't even need to change the stock fuel system. AMG uses such high rate injectors at high pressures that the stock system would probably do just fine at such low boost levels (which would help keep the upgrade as simple & cost effective as possible). KISS = keep it simple silly.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by AMS Performance
Glad we could help out Hooley.

honestly the easiest route is to just get the smaller supercharger pulley and retune the NA C55 ECU. At 6-7psi you probably wouldn't even need to change the stock fuel system. AMG uses such high rate injectors at high pressures that the stock system would probably do just fine at such low boost levels (which would help keep the upgrade as simple & cost effective as possible). KISS = keep it simple silly.
You mean larger SC pulley?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 AM

C55
You mean larger SC pulley?
yeah, its confusing back n forth

what size are stock injectors? 500cc?

biggest issue is computer tuning. OBDII is probably is your biggest headache. when i had my is300, when running low boost the computer always recalibrated itself to try and learn. a black box was necessary.....
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
The shop I'm using works on Mercedes all the time (renntech dealer) and some of the meanest Subaru STI's. These guys know boost. So I'm feeling I'm in good hands. The would never give me my car back if it wasnt working the way they wanted it to. That doesn't mean i wont have problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In a Drastic turn of Events!