C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

I got a C300 (W204) loaner. The good and the bad.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I got a C300 (W204) loaner. The good and the bad.

It was the absolute "stripper" model. No options.

The good:

> Very controlled suspension. It seemed even tighter than my C32. Maybe my shocks are tired. Steering ratio seems significantly quicker.

> Very strong engine. I was duly impressed. I could live with this on a day to day basis.

> Roomy, especially in back.

The bad:

> 7 speed transmission does not shift any faster in manual mode than my old 5 speed.

> Cheap, cheap, cheap looking interior. When you don't have nav, the whole pop up screen is nothing more than a visual display of the radio dial. It would be a daily reminder of how cheap you are! They should ditch the screen when there's no nav option.

> Fairly generic looking on the outside.

I also saw the new GLK (little SUV). I like it. It has a bit of the old Jeep Cherokee look to it. They're mounting GIANT wheels (20"). It's interesting that they went with a straight edge style, departing from all other models.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Since my car is at the dealer, I also have a black C300 loaner park outside. Your description is very accurate with my thoughts. I can't, for the love of God, stand the interior or the mirrors...

I like the shifting though, very smooth. Suspension is sharp and you feel under control most of the time... The acceleration once it picks up is decent, but from a stop... not so much. The sitting position is very ergonomic and natural. The back seat and the trunk are great. It's a very nice day daily driver in my opinion.

I was trying to think how would a C63 feel like. That engine in such a car... wow! Makes me want to go test drive one.

We have a 2008 A4 2.0T (same entry level) and the cars are very similar in every category. Although the Audi's interior is by far the best choice.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
I had the W204 C350 as a loaner twice, and I completely agree with your point on the interior quality. My 02 interior is more pleasing to me. I subconsciously notice the quality and the style make it actually feel like a Merc, even though it's just a C Class, I cannot say that about the W204, it feels more like a CTS from the inside.
W204's look aggressive, but what's the point if it's all show (except C63). I don't know about power, the 350 wasn't enough for me. The steering does feel sharper, but C32's steering is more responsive though it feels sleepier, which almost caused me to fly off the highway after I got it back.

If I had the money and needed a DD it would no doubt be a W211 E350 (which I also driven as a loaner once, yes I am bragging :P). My need for speed was nonexistent in that car, I just wanted to cruise and enjoy myself.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I had a sport package loaner not to long ago and i thought it sucked. The nav was cool though, even though BMW's I-drive is much better and i hate that too.
Even though it does have a lack of power it just didn't feel confident in the turns or not nearly like my C55. Thats to be expected though. Maybe its because the seats dont hold you in like i'm use to.

I thought the leather felt rough and kinda cheap. If I was buying a car in this class I would look elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 AM

08 M5, 06 X3, 05 C55
I had a C300 loaner as well when i went in for service. I agree with everyone that the car is daily drivable. Its a big step up from the c230's. it feels kinda peppy because of the 7spd gear ratios. when you give it some gas, you'll notice that its not really any faster.

The interior is cheap
- the steering wheel is skinny and light... just felt sloppy over all
- the fake leather seats looks good from far but feel like crap
- the tiny non-nav lcd like everyone else has said.
- i do like the new dash but hate how the tach and speedo is dampened/delayed. its always off by atleast 1/2 sec.

on a side note I did like the folding mirrors and the overall presense the W204 gives off.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I thought the interior was cheap feeling too when I got mine. After you live with it, it begins to makes sense. They relly need to ditch the chrome accents inside. I really don't see how the W203 interior is any better. I hated our 2006 W203 interior. The W204 A/T does shift too slowly in manual mode, so I got the 6MT. Much better. Agree, the steering wheel is too big.

In the sport, when you push it, you'll apppreciate the suspension tune. It's still a bit too squirmy for my taste, so I am installing coilovers.

Overall, it's a great car. It does everything very well (not sure about snow performance, because I don't drive it in the winter). It looks less stodgy than most MBs in my opinion, but is a bit short on power. It doesn't suck though. I believe the styling will have nice staying power like the W211 and W203.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM

'03 C32
Have the same loaner. Generally impressed.

* Exterior styling - modern but not too "Bangled"
* Handling - very tight
* Interior styling - generally good (except for two nits below)
* Size, turning radius, etc. - still managing to avoid the big boat syndrome

Dislikes:
* Phony leather - how are people still putting up with this nonsense?!
* Big screen for a radio dial where the nav should be - what's the point?
* Bit too much shiny "plastichrome," which looks especially odd around the speed/tachometers.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I haven't seen a GLK up close yet, but I think I would choose that over a W204 C for a DD. The C sport is way too show/no go for me. My friend has a 350 and only really at night time does the interior look better (very nice ambiance of glowing buttons and dials, I dunno I like it). Otherwise...meh

The C63's engine more than make up for the interior though
Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
have both.

the 204 interior only looks cheap at first. the dash material is actually BETTER than the 203's. I still don't like the more leather grain texture, but you get used to it. the screen is not bad, functional for the phone and if you decide to add rear back-up camera you can. the flip open door is useless. overall the 204 gives you a more solid feel compare to the 203. one less gear would've been better. tried the MM/Nav...glad I didn't opt for it. 204 steering is more linear than the 203 (about the same as the 06-07 203). the 203 (my 32) only feels sharper because of my suspension setup. the 32 has a little bit more steering feedback than the 350. the 204 feels more composed at high speed than 203 (the other stock 203 loaners i've driven over the years).

also, stock tire sucks on the 300/350 with the 17's. steering, road holding, and steering feel are all retarded because of it. If you are basing the handling characteristic of this car without the optional 18" with contisport3 don't bother commenting.

I also drive a 335i (now E92 M3) family friend's on regular basis. The iDrive is just as crappy as the MM Nav system. The difference: the E90/92 without iDrive the interior looks cheap as hell. the 204 without MM/Nav doesn't really make any difference.

saw and sat in the new GLK the other day. interior is well designed. exterior's still ugly as hell. same driver sitting position as the 204 just higher off the ground.

Last edited by FrankW; 01-24-2009 at 06:23 AM.