C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C 32 F1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel from AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG (R 230) and CLK 55 (W 209)
Post C 32 F1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel from AMG

As for the SL 55 (R 230) There is also a Formula 1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel available for the C 32 (W / S / CL 203) and the SLK 32 (R 170).

Detailed Information and more pictures:

happy steering!
Ronald
Old 01-21-2003, 06:59 AM

Schrempps C 32 AMG
I like this one more
http://groups.msn.com/Mercedes2003C...hoto&PhotoID=20

BTW, will the new C 32 models have the gear buttons on the steering wheel?
Old 01-21-2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by IanPooley
You mean the 2003 models? - As far as I know: No.

Ronald
Old 01-21-2003, 07:43 AM

Schrempps C 32 AMG
NO, not 03. I mean 2004
Old 01-21-2003, 09:44 AM

NO, not 03. I mean 2004
There is no official statement for the 2004 models. Just speculation.

Ronald
Old 01-21-2003, 12:07 PM

Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
I like this one more

http://groups.msn.com/Mercedes2003C32/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=20
Old 01-21-2003, 12:18 PM

I like this one more
But could you image how a combination of those steering wheels would look? Like the Saftey Car Steering Wheel with silver designo alcantara leather...

Ronald
Old 01-21-2003, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: C 32 F1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel from AMG

Originally posted by Ronald
As for the SL 55 (R 230) There is also a Formula 1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel available for the C 32 (W / S / CL 203) and the SLK 32 (R 170).

Detailed Information and more pictures:

happy steering!
Ronald
Ronald: do you have the PART NUMBER for that steering wheel?? Thanks!!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:31 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I like the F1 safety car steering wheel better. it's probably expensive though. Wish the alcantara can match our seating insert merlot/blue/charcoal.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:43 PM

Re: Re: C 32 F1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel from AMG

Originally posted by Harris
Ronald: do you have the PART NUMBER for that steering wheel?? Thanks!!
I just sent an e-mail AMG. Will have an answer for you tomorrow.

Ronald
Old 01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: C 32 F1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheel from AMG

I just sent an e-mail AMG. Will have an answer for you tomorrow.

Ronald
Thank you VERY much, Ronald.
Old 01-22-2003, 03:29 AM

International Availability

All three F1 Safety Car Style Steering Wheels are not certified for the US market and will only be delivered to Mercedes-Benz dealers in the European Union.

Sorry!

Ronald
Old 01-22-2003, 09:31 AM

2003 C32
This is something I don't understand...

North American customers continue to buy their allotment of AMG equipped vehicles (and in fact there are waiting lists in several areas for any AMG vehicle), yet there is obviously a distinct mandated standard between what North American customers receive or have the capability to receive and what EU customers are receiving.

The wheel hasn't been approved for U.S. use..and considering the large number of aftermarket wheels available in the States, this would take, what? Sending a box of them to the D.O.T. and paying a fee?

I'm sure that the racing suspension will also be unavailable here, and I don't really feel like loading my vehicle back onto a barge to drive it to Affalterbach.

I'd really like to stick with AMG when it comes to upgrading my C32, but if AMG does not have a commitment to my market, I'll go elsewhere.

Ronald, if you know someone in AMG, you may wish to pass on that the total invisibility of their "extra" products may have something to do with the fact that their components can't be acquired here. If the mission of AMG is to be an internal tuning house as M-Power is, then there's going to have to be some differentiation.

Otherwise, /////AMG might as well be /////Wolfsburg Edition.

There may be a perception that Kleemann parts are not as quality as AMG, but Kleemann is available here in N.A.

This may come as a shock to AMG and MBUSA, but my interest in buying AMG accessories has jack ***** to do with a $75 sweater or a $40 teddy bear, even though those are really the only options presented to me.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:00 AM

Re: This is something I don't understand...

Hi AlpharettaC32,

let me try to explain in detail, but first I'm sorry to say that there is nothing I can do except to express your feelings to the head of worldwide marketing at AMG (that is: if you don't mind).

The safety car stlye steering wheels were designed especially for members of the German AMG Owners Club on our demand (same with the M-gearbox and the Nürnburgring-suspension). So AMG never planned for 2-figure production numbers.

Now, we don't mind other customers being able to buy these accessorys as well and they became available through the AMG Manufaktur (important: not through the standard accessory program with official part numbers).

Maybe AMG thinks, that it is too much trouble to go through the whole certification process for just a dozen of steering wheels. Especially if there is no way to officially list it's existence (as you probably know by now: AMG Manufaktur products are individual one-off items, that are built on order and not really advertised or listed anywhere).

The steering wheel is probably an exception anyway, since it is one of the few Manufaktur products, that doesn't need to be installed at Affalterbach as the Nürburgring-supsension for example:

The N.-suspension is and INDIVIDUAL suspension set up and not a standardized kit. YOU tell AMG how you want your car too look like, how it should handle, how it should look and how comfortable it has to be. AMG then includes lots of other factors (your rim size / tyres, the weight of your car incl. extras,...) and you get your individual system.

So, AMG can't expect other dealers worldwide to do this as well. They neither have the parts, nor the experience.

Anyway, I'll should have more information about this topic by friday night.

Ronald

Last edited by Ronald; 01-22-2003 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2003, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by AlpharettaC32
If the mission of AMG is to be an internal tuning house as M-Power is, then there's going to have to be some differentiation.
AMG doesn't itself as a tuner and hasn't for a long time. If you talk to someone at AMG and start called them a 'tuner', you usually will hear a 5-minute lecture about why AMG ist NOT a tuner (not kidding!).

Have a look at their profile:

Fields of activity are:
- the design and development of sporty, high-performance vehicles, options and accessories.
- development and installation of Advanced Mobile Media products, innovative and individually tailored communications and infotainment systems.
- manufacture of AMG series vehicles in conjunction with DaimlerChrysler manufacturing facilities.
- manufacture of AMG specials.
- manufacture of individual vehicles (one-off's) and appointments.

Ronald
Old 01-22-2003, 10:21 AM

There may be a perception that Kleemann parts are not as quality as AMG, but Kleemann is available here in N.A.
That's true. But then you won't have a solution built to Mercedes-Benz standards (which are one of the highest in the automobile history).

Or do you think AMG would ever offer wing doors for an SL 55 without ever doing a crash test?

Ronald
Old 01-22-2003, 11:13 AM

2003 C32
Re: Re: This is something I don't understand...

Hi AlpharettaC32,

let me try to explain in detail, but first I'm sorry to say that there is nothing I can do except to express your feelings to the head of worldwide marketing at AMG (that is: if you don't mind).

The safety car stlye steering wheels were designed especially for members of the German AMG Owners Club on our demand (same with the M-gearbox and the Nürnburgring-suspension). So AMG never planned for 2-figure production numbers.

Maybe AMG thinks, that it is too much trouble to go through the whole certification process for just a dozen of steering wheels. Especially if there is no way to officially list it's existence (as you probably know by now: AMG Manufaktur products are individual one-off items, that are built on order and not really advertised or listed anywhere).

The steering wheel is probably an exception anyway, since it is one of the few Manufaktur products, that doesn't need to be installed at Affalterbach as the Nürburgring-supsension for example:

The N.-suspension is and INDIVIDUAL suspension set up and not a standardized kit. YOU tell AMG how you want your car too look like, how it should handle, how it should look and how comfortable it has to be. AMG then includes lots of other factors (your rim size / tyres, the weight of your car incl. extras,...) and you get your individual system.

So, AMG can't expect other dealers worldwide to do this as well. They neither have the parts, nor the experience.

Ronald
Ronald,

Thanks for the information, and feel free to pass along my comments. I feel that I speak as a fairly typical AMG owner/enthusiast who would like to have the availability of more products from AMG.

I've no doubt that with almost 1000 C32s (alone) sold a year in the US, AMG would be looking at selling far more than a dozen or so wheels. I can certainly guarantee you that the M-mode transmission would sell exceptionally well in this market on any AMG car released.

I know that the AMG and MB relationship is still in its relative infancy for AMG being in house, but there are many areas of improvement and expansion available. I can understand how the suspension would be unavailable, but I'm sure that a mailout by MBUSA to all AMG owners would generate a good number of wheel sales and enough transmission changes to keep a team of engineers and technicians busy for a few weeks.

In short, there's an unknown demand (as AMG owners don't know what all we can get) and if it was tapped, it would be very lucrative. If the products can't be sold in the U.S., MBUSA needs to make it more clear to the dealers to tell customers that they can have items changed on their car to a unique appearance.

If I'd have known I could have the M transmission installed, I would have gladly waited. I still can't believe I can't get it now (my car was built 12/17/02).

Jason
Old 01-22-2003, 11:18 AM

2003 C32
Re: Re: This is something I don't understand...

That's true. But then you won't have a solution built to Mercedes-Benz standards (which are one of the highest in the automobile history).

Or do you think AMG would ever offer wing doors for an SL 55 without ever doing a crash test?

Ronald
Well, the analogy is simple: If I cannot get steak, then hamburger will have to do.

AMG should really setup a shop here in the United States, probably in California to address the tuner market there (which would make me sad living in Georgia, but I could get around that by shipping the car out there for some custom work.) Find some engineers who wish to relocate to the U.S. or train some existing people here quite extensively.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is something I don't understand...

Ronald,

Thanks for the information, and feel free to pass along my comments. I feel that I speak as a fairly typical AMG owner/enthusiast who would like to have the availability of more products from AMG.
Hi Jason,

I feel the same way. That's why the AMG Owners Club was founded: To help AMG Owners (= us) get the necessary support from AMG when it comes to our individual needs.

I've no doubt that with almost 1000 C32s (alone) sold a year in the US, AMG would be looking at selling far more than a dozen or so wheels.
here are the production numbers for the C32 2002 models:

total 2002: 2665 units
USA: 975 units
Canada: 159 units

If I'd have known I could have the M transmission installed, I would have gladly waited. I still can't believe I can't get it now (my car was built 12/17/02).
Well, you can still have it installed, but guess where...

Ronald
Old 01-22-2003, 11:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: This is something I don't understand...

Well, the analogy is simple: If I cannot get steak, then hamburger will have to do.

AMG should really setup a shop here in the United States, probably in California to address the tuner market there (which would make me sad living in Georgia, but I could get around that by shipping the car out there for some custom work.) Find some engineers who wish to relocate to the U.S. or train some existing people here quite extensively.
My personal (!) guess ist, that AMG is too big for that. I guess they make enough money developing cars and producing engines for Mercedes-Benz. The individual items from the Manufaktur are probably just a tiny bit of their business volume.

We (= AMG Owners Club Europe) are working on a solution. Give it some time and enjoy your AMG as it is in the meantime.

Ronald
Old 01-22-2003, 12:32 PM

2003 C32
Re: Re: Re: Re: This is something I don't understand...

My personal (!) guess ist, that AMG is too big for that. I guess they make enough money developing cars and producing engines for Mercedes-Benz. The individual items from the Manufaktur are probably just a tiny bit of their business volume.

We (= AMG Owners Club Europe) are working on a solution. Give it some time and enjoy your AMG as it is in the meantime.

Ronald
We're still waiting to hear on AMG Owners America as well, if you'll recall!

And thanks for the updates and info..and trust me, I have no problem enjoying my AMG.. It's very hard for me to say I "just have a regular C32" *grin*
Old 01-22-2003, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: This is something I don't understand...

We're still waiting to hear on AMG Owners America as well, if you'll recall!
Haven't forgotten about it. But like I said: The big talk is on friday night.

Ronald
Old 01-22-2003, 01:21 PM

02 C32AMG
Will this F1 wheel fit US c32 AMG?

If yes will it be possible to pay money using paypal and someone will send them to US?