C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Oil leak on C32?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32 AMG
Question Oil leak on C32?

This just started happening. About 2 months ago, I was getting this oil leak problem, took it to a regular oil change shop to have it check to see where the leak is coming from and they could not tell. So I kept driving the car without problems. Last Friday, I have the oil changed done on my C32, everything was fine and actually it feels like the car drives much better. I took a 600 mile road trip over the weekend and when I got back, I noticed that the oil leak came back and this time much worst. I'm thinking of dropping my car off to an independent MB shop in town to have it check before I get it worked on. But do any of you are experiencing or have experienced the same problem?

Any ideas what this problem might be? I'm out of warranty now too (buying one soon) so I hope this problem won't be too costly. I just need to get an idea so I won't get screwed by the shop I will have it worked on.

My current odometer reading is 65,800.

Any input will be much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
is the oil coming from the area just under the air box near the coil packs? If it is...all you have to do is just take out the air boxes. I believe you need either a e10 or e12 torex and you just need to retighten the torex screws thats attached to the engine. I believe its a row of 3 or 4 torex screws on each side.

Over time they get loose and start to leak a little bit of oil. I Just retightened mine and the leak went away.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:18 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
is the oil coming from the area just under the air box near the coil packs? If it is...all you have to do is just take out the air boxes. I believe you need either a e10 or e12 torex and you just need to retighten the torex screws thats attached to the engine. I believe its a row of 3 or 4 torex screws on each side.

Over time they get loose and start to leak a little bit of oil. I Just retightened mine and the leak went away.
I believe you are referring to the valve covers. I had a little leaking coming from the passenger side and had to tighten her up a bit and clean up a little oil. All good now.

Last edited by hkycoldrct; 03-18-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
also check that the o-ring in the filter is not leaking, you will see it around the filter toward the top
Old 03-17-2009, 02:10 PM

03 C32 AMG
I took the car to the nearest indy shop by my work. I wanted to hear what they will say. Thank you everyone for the responses.

On the valve covers, Erick from LET just replaced the phenolic spacers not too long ago (approx. 5,000 miles) and I thought he tightened the valve covers well when he was putting them back in... But I will definitely keep in mind everyone's input troubleshooting this issue.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:40 AM

03 C32 AMG
Ok, It was the copper ring (o-ring?) in the filter that was causing oil to leak. The indy mechanic told me it had to be replaced everytime I do an oil change. They did a good job fixing it but I was not contacted prior doing the labor so I was ticked when I saw the final bill. This is definitely something a DIY job. All I wanted to have them do is check where the oil leak is coming from and to get a second opinion.

Do any of you guys had a problem with the Crankshaft Seal leak? They told me I have a small leak on that area and quoted me for $400. What do you guys think of the quote?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by C32AMGSC
Ok, It was the copper ring (o-ring?) in the filter that was causing oil to leak. The indy mechanic told me it had to be replaced everytime I do an oil change. They did a good job fixing it but I was not contacted prior doing the labor so I was ticked when I saw the final bill. This is definitely something a DIY job. All I wanted to have them do is check where the oil leak is coming from and to get a second opinion.

Do any of you guys had a problem with the Crankshaft Seal leak? They told me I have a small leak on that area and quoted me for $400. What do you guys think of the quote?

Yeah! I win.....

Quote is high, but it is labor that gets you on that one.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
How much did he charge you for the filter o-ring? It's a $3 tool + $10 for new filter + three new o-rings. If just tightening it, it should be a free DYI. I always follow members' suggestion first, at least take a look before bringing it to a shop.

For the crankshaft seal leak, since you do not have major leak anymore, it's easier to spot out if the crankshaft seal is actually leaking. I say, let it be like that, run it for awhile, keep an eye on it to see if it's leaking. If it's 1 drop for month, I leave with it. Sometime (no most of the times) the shop is just being bs.

Good luck

Originally Posted by C32AMGSC

Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM

03 C32 AMG
Well I won't say how much, but that' s why I got upset yesterday when I specifically ask him to just check it and give me a 2nd opinion because I believe it's a do it yourself and an easy fix. But they fixed it anyway without confirming with me.

The owner of the shop did call me this morning and told me that he'll do some work for me for free since I left the shop all ticked off. He'll install my Akebono Brake pads and install my 05 ver. side mirror blinkers for free today. At this point, any free labor is good. I would consider that breakeven.

"For the crankshaft seal leak, since you do not have major leak anymore, it's easier to spot out if the crankshaft seal is actually leaking. I say, let it be like that, run it for awhile, keep an eye on it to see if it's leaking. If it's 1 drop for month, I leave with it. Sometime (no most of the times) the shop is just being bs."

Your suggestion is on point with what the owner of the shop told me.
And yes, I agree with the shop being BS'ers that's why I ask around here first.

Thanks everyone for your input.