Clunking Noise from Passenger-Side Rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Clunking Noise from Passenger-Side Rear

Just picked up my car from the shop who installed my 185mm Crank Pulley. First off, wow....love the feel and sound. It has some serious topend and can't wait for the tune tomorrow.

On a slightly more serious note, when I got the car back from the shop, I noticed a noise I had not previously heard.

It sounds like a "clunk" and seems to come from the back of the car on the passenger side. It can be heard when going over potholes, pumps, curbs, turning, or up/down hill.....not sure what it is but it is really really annoying and i have no idea what it is

my only guesses would be shock, spring, or some kind of bracket....maybe some metal rubbing or getting stuck on something?

i find it weird that i did not have it before it went to the shop but have it afterward....maybe they put it on a lift wrong? but then why would it be on a lift to install the crank pulley? maybe went from underneath with an impact wrench?

either way, i need to get this resolved. any ideas?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i would say just jack up the car and check your suspension. if see anything is loose or damaged. Or it could just be as simple as greasing the brushing your sway bar. ungreased sway bar brushing make a kinda of a chirp or clank sound whenever you go over bumps.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Hey dude that's funny cause I have the exact same problem I basically tore out the entire interior so see if there's some loose parts flying around and I came to the conclusion that its some suspension component. Its weird how its happening to you. I had suspension work done recently and the noise is becoming really annoying. It is also coming from Passenger side rear like for you.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
it was the bushing on the strut bar (i think if i remember correctly). bushing popped out or something and he just pressed it back in. problem solved
Old 03-22-2009, 05:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by jturkel
it was the bushing on the strut bar (i think if i remember correctly). bushing popped out or something and he just pressed it back in. problem solved
do you mean sway bar? i dont think there is a strut bar. Not that i've seen.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
do you mean sway bar? i dont think there is a strut bar. Not that i've seen.
yes i meant sway bar....my bad