Port and Polish TB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Port and Polish TB?

I have been waiting forever for someone to come out with a larger TB for the C32. I remember vadim saying an 80mm TB could be good for 15 - 20 whp but it would be expensive to make an 80 mm work on C32, a new housing needs to be made and that is expensive.

Vadim also mentioned that port/polishing the stock TB to 76 would net 5-10 whp and possibly more for those running more boost (my own thinking). I know it might be only 5-10 whp, but doing that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a cam or something. Just seems that I'm running out of things to do besides nitrous and the other performance mod (headers) I may shortly do.

Anyone thinking about messing with the TB soon? I think this may be my next mod along with headers/rims and could use some opinions or direction. I need more power!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by jturkel
I have been waiting forever for someone to come out with a larger TB for the C32. I remember vadim saying an 80mm TB could be good for 15 - 20 whp but it would be expensive to make an 80 mm work on C32, a new housing needs to be made and that is expensive.

Vadim also mentioned that port/polishing the stock TB to 76 would net 5-10 whp and possibly more for those running more boost (my own thinking). I know it might be only 5-10 whp, but doing that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a cam or something. Just seems that I'm running out of things to do besides nitrous and the other performance mod (headers) I may shortly do.

Anyone thinking about messing with the TB soon? I think this may be my next mod along with headers/rims and could use some opinions or direction. I need more power!
I'm glad someone is reviving this discussion - I too think an 80mm TB would be a great addition to the C32. In the end, "expensive" is somewhat relative... I agree that it probably would cost less than cams, P&L.

BDJ Racing might be able to fab this up, given what they're currently working on - probably just need a local C32 to test-fit on; I'd hate to pursue it after it being fitted to an SRT-6, only to find out it didn't fit our smaller engine bay.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I'm glad someone is reviving this discussion - I too think an 80mm TB would be a great addition to the C32. In the end, "expensive" is somewhat relative... I agree that it probably would cost less than cams, P&L.

BDJ Racing might be able to fab this up, given what they're currently working on - probably just need a local C32 to test-fit on; I'd hate to pursue it after it being fitted to an SRT-6, only to find out it didn't fit our smaller engine bay.
haha yah, i still don't know why no one has really strongly pursued it. this is a common bolt on a lot of cars and shows decent gains on F/I cars (i think one of the TBs for E55 promises 30whp). I would be happy with 10-20whp lol.

yah i saw BDJ racing's thread with all sorts of products. coming out with some cool stuff though they have no link on their website for the srt6/c32/slk32, at least yet, and no products mentioned (probalby just doing some R&D)

i think an SRT6 TB would fit our car despite fitment issues. I dont think that the housing of the TB would necessarily have to extend any further outward....then again, i dont produce parts and am not an engineer, so idk lol......

I spoke with AMS Performance and they are about to begin working on a 78 or 80mm TB for the C32 and C55. They are finishing up a 74mm TB for the C320 and should have dyno results posted soon, which I hear are expected to be quite promising. price is promised to be reasonable, though may include a core exchange

i just see this as a more "relatively reasonable or inexpensive route" to go than jumping to heads, cam stuff. nitrous isnt exactly expesnive, but i'm not ready for that yet lol. full time power FTW ( at least for now lol )
Old 03-27-2009, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Good stuff! AMS, please keep us posted on your progress...
Old 03-27-2009, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. There aren't a whole lot of reasonable bolt ons left at this point and I have no desire for NOS. If I run out of things to do, I'm going to get the itch for a new ride again. The wife said that was a wasted thought....
We need long tube headers (JAKE, JERRY! HOW BOUT IT?) and the 80mm TB would be pretty slick as well. I'm suprised AMS made one for the regular 320 and not the 32 yet? Do people really mod 320s?!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:39 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
I hear ya, I'm in the same boat. There aren't a whole lot of reasonable bolt ons left at this point and I have no desire for NOS. If I run out of things to do, I'm going to get the itch for a new ride again. The wife said that was a wasted thought....
We need long tube headers (JAKE, JERRY! HOW BOUT IT?) and the 80mm TB would be pretty slick as well. I'm suprised AMS made one for the regular 320 and not the 32 yet? Do people really mod 320s?!
Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by loungn14
lol Jake...are those faces with respect to the longtubes or the TB? or both?
Old 03-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Do people really mod 320s?!

Hey now, no need to descriminate against the HP challenged . weaker engines need love too

Yes we will have more information very soon. I think when people see our quality they will be quite impressed. We are always trying to come out with new and innovative products and throttle bodies are yet another set in that direction. thanks and have a nice day.

~AMS~
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
hey guys, heres a sneak peak at what to expect:

Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Exclamation

Originally Posted by AMS Performance