C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C3P Intercooler Versus Stock *Pics* DIY-Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Thanks for your comments. Custom charges are due when I get the item at the german custom. But this should not delay the delivery up to 5 weeks or more... Why Brandon does not check the delivery status at USPS? Can't USPS see where the item is at the moment?
yeah the usps system sux..its not really tracking like ups or fedex but more delievery confirmation once it gets to the the destination. i say if you need it now...get a refund and just buy a oem one.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
Dude you caught the mod bug? Great photos by the way! make sure to take lots of pic during the install. Be sure the tq the bolts back to stock spec.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crossfire SRT-6
I dont think USPS is all that bad, shipping international with USPS is 6-10 days with tracking.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 PM

Volvo
Originally Posted by 1qikctr
Dude you caught the mod bug? Great photos by the way! make sure to take lots of pic during the install. Be sure the tq the bolts back to stock spec.
whats the stock specs, i don't have a tear down guide, Also whats the easiest way to take off the main belt?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 AM

C32 AMG W203
I have e-mailed Brandon directly 5 Times !!

Here is a quote from USPS. Does this mean the IC has shipped?

Label/Receipt Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 19, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

Thank you very much!!!!
AMG-Driver,

Did you track your item by the USPS website? Try the website as below:
http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInt...?origTrackNum=
Old 04-28-2009, 01:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Originally Posted by hothbl
AMG-Driver,

Did you track your item by the USPS website? Try the website as below:
http://trkcnfrm1.smi.usps.com/PTSInt...?origTrackNum=
Yes, I tried. My Quote above is from this website. No updates...
Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM

2002 SLK 32 AMG
any updates??? have you installed the intercooler yet??
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 PM

Volvo
ok, Well for an update, I did do the install but ran into an issue, As far as teh C3P issues with these all are pretty much fixed expect the brackets

Everything else fit just fine, including the sensor nice and snug like stock, and after messing with the brackets its fit just fine on the s/c, Now when i went to install the s\c on top of the motor, It didn't sit flush with the runners, there was a small gap, and was to big to just screw it in with the bolts (All bolts would thread but i didn't want to risk warping the S/c Runners). It seems to be hitting the sides of the C3P and wouldnt go in all the way with the s/c like its right there just theres a gap, so i try grinding a little bit off the c3p with no sucess, so installed the intercooler that doesnt leak (The stock one that i got as well with the c3p) so now im at a loss, It seems no one else had this issue before. The coolant lines work just fine and are perfect just seems its to big now on the sides..... Overall it took me 1 1/2 hour to remove the s/c and took about 2 hours to put everything back together for the start. Ill post a couple pics

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-28-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Merc power
?

Call C3 for help.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 AM

SL65 R230
Thanks for the update. So the C3P-IC has too much width now with the new cooling lines to fit in, if i understand you correctly? Isn't the Stock IC even bigger than the C3P-unit? It would be great if you could post some pics.

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
....well that sucks.....
Old 04-30-2009, 03:30 PM

SL65 R230
Overdrive,

do you have any updates? Thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Overdrive,

do you have any updates? Thanks.
Yes, Enquiring Minds want to know!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Fitment Issue

Perhaps a set of 5 mm Phenolic spacers , between the intake ports on the heads & the kompress manifold , would raise the intake assy just enough , so the condensor / intercooling manifold woud clear in the Vee , Just a Thought . Cheers ___PTEngineering
Old 05-04-2009, 03:27 AM

Volvo
the intake maniflds wernt even on, You need to place the supercharger on top of the engine before you can even place the intake manifolds along with the Phenolic spacers . The issue is the fitting of the size of the intercooler as i can confirm its hitting as its to big on the sides, Sorry guys i will post a couple pics,been very busy with work.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
IC

This is sad. I like the idea of a improved IC and the pics of the GenII unit look better that the first units I saw. I sure hope that C3P can get all this sorted out.

Question to all: When I first came here the IC coolant pump was a oft upgraded unit with most going to the Johnson pump or the Ford IC water pump which I think is the same unit?? Not sure on that. Anyways, now I am hearing stories of the upgraded pumps causing water leaks with the stock Intercooler? This is a concern. What can we do to prevent this since the upgraded IC seems to not yet be a consistent bolt-on fix?? Is there a IC water pump that is an improvement over stock without being too hard on the intercooler?

Irish
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by OverDrive
the intake maniflds wernt even on, You need to place the supercharger on top of the engine before you can even place the intake manifolds along with the Phenolic spacers . The issue is the fitting of the size of the intercooler as i can confirm its hitting as its to big on the sides, Sorry guys i will post a couple pics,been very busy with work.

So it seems like you spent 900 bucks for a used AMG intercooler at least for the very moment? Did you talk to Code3 to get it either fix or return?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
At the risk of stepping on a few toes around here... OD, the aftermarket i/c looks like someone made a big goof. I'll explain, from the pics it looks like they used an A2A core, in that the passages for air flow are the same size as the water passages. Every bar and plate W2A that I have come across is easily identified by the fact that the water passages are half the size of the air passages. This makes sense as water has a higher heat transfer rate, and by making the water passages larger you are limiting the total airflow that the i/c can handle. I can take a few pics of an A2A and a W2A that I have from other projects if you want. Better yet, make a few phone calls to places that specialize in intercoolers and ask them to describe the differences in cores for A2A and W2A.
For comparison, the stock i/c is a tube-n-fin design, which work quite well in a W2A application.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:18 PM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by lowprofile
At the risk of stepping on a few toes around here... OD, the aftermarket i/c looks like someone made a big goof. I'll explain, from the pics it looks like they used an A2A core, in that the passages for air flow are the same size as the water passages....
A big goof?
HARDLY. If 'goofs' can occur repeatedly over 6 months, then perhaps.
Exactly 6 months ago, ACRucrazy made that observation here.

In fairness to ACRucrazy, he alluded to this on several occasions over the ensuing months and nothing was ever done about it.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 AM

Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
A big goof?
HARDLY. If 'goofs' can occur repeatedly over 6 months, then perhaps.
Exactly 6 months ago, ACRucrazy made that observation here.

In fairness to ACRucrazy, he alluded to this on several occasions over the ensuing months and nothing was ever done about it.
I eventually was able to return my IC, as I was not going to install it. I am glad I did so.

I crossreferenced the part number that was on my intercooler, took some measurements. I pulled up the part number on the turbonetics site and it pulled up an air to air intercooler. The measurements were spot on. It looked like it was an air to air IC, cut in thirds, then 2 of those pieces welded end to end. Thats why you see a seam on one side, and a smooth "plate" welded on the other.

That was my observation anyways.

Last edited by ACRucrazy; 05-13-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 AM

Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
I returned my intercooler and recieved a refund before I tried installing it. I am glad I did so.
That's good news for you.

I guess I should have been clearer when I said "nothing was done about it". I meant that the air-to-air rather than liquid-to-air cores are still being used (despite advertising otherwise).
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 AM

SL65 R230
Originally Posted by lowprofile
At the risk of stepping on a few toes around here... OD, the aftermarket i/c looks like someone made a big goof. I'll explain, from the pics it looks like they used an A2A core, in that the passages for air flow are the same size as the water passages. Every bar and plate W2A that I have come across is easily identified by the fact that the water passages are half the size of the air passages. This makes sense as water has a higher heat transfer rate, and by making the water passages larger you are limiting the total airflow that the i/c can handle. I can take a few pics of an A2A and a W2A that I have from other projects if you want. Better yet, make a few phone calls to places that specialize in intercoolers and ask them to describe the differences in cores for A2A and W2A.
For comparison, the stock i/c is a tube-n-fin design, which work quite well in a W2A application.
Interesting. The water flow seems to be better with the C3 Design. The Airflow is also be advertised to be better, and when I look at the pictures this could be true, because the Air passages are also bigger (not as narrow) like the Stock IC. But where is the disadvantage of the C3 Design? Maybe there is not as much surface area of the aluminum, where the Heat can be absorbed into the water. The answer would be to do real accurate Datalogging before and after. Regarding not only the Recovery time of IATs but also Peak-IATs.

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 05-13-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Didn't realize this was already addressed, thanks for the heads up (new guy on this forum). I'm glad to see that there are quite a few people here that are on the ball and not just a bunch of lemmings.
AMG D, you are absolutely correct about taking real life data. But before you invest your time, it would easier to make a few phone calls.

Last edited by lowprofile; 05-13-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: adressed OD instead of AMG D
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM

C32 AMG
If this product is so problematic then why is it still being offered on the LET web-site?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Volvo
alright sorry for delaying on posting some pics, well i didn't take any pics of it not fitting ontop of the motor, but ill take some pics of what i did to fix it to get it to fit on the supercharger this weekend sometime
Thats not me in the Pic, but my buff friend holding it up for the pic (I am taking the picture)

This thing was leaking like a Son of Gun... Coolant sludge everywhere

I had the Intakes covered before i took these pics... You don't want anything to drop in those

Last edited by OverDrive; 05-13-2009 at 10:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C3P Intercooler Versus Stock *Pics* DIY-Coming Soon!