C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C3P Intercooler Versus Stock *Pics* DIY-Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
C3P Intercooler Versus Stock *Pics* DIY-Coming Soon!

To start off the story... I discovered my intercooler was leaking (Not the heat exchanger) under the S/C a month ago, thus needed replacement. I first was going to just buy a entire new stock unit from Mercedes, but then I thought well.. if I am spending this amount of money, maybe give C3P Intercooler a shot. I placed the order after speaking with Jerry and Brandon about this part. It seems that if you upgrade your Intercooler Pump (Which I did Cp30) seems to cause the stock intercooler to backup and causing unnecessary pressure, which leads it to crack and leak. (From what I’m told) So a week after I placed the order Brandon calls and said he shipped out a Working stock unit along with the C3P for free, (I had him also order all the gaskets that I would need and thank him for the included stock unit). After Arriving I immediately took both parts out and inspected them. I found that the C3P was damaged due to shipping but not bad just one of the brackets. (I just took it to a machine shop and had them fix it) I just wanted to share what I found so far comparing the two. Now I have the Generation 2 of these C3P intercoolers as the first round had a bunch of fulfillment issues. I was advised that almost all those issue have been address but it might need a tad grinding on the brackets that’s it. Mine also includes a hole for a Boost sensor (if I ever add a Boost Gauge).

Stock Unit:

The Stock unit is made by Garret and weighs I would say 25-30 pounds

New Unit:

The C3P is lighter around 15-20 Pounds

Outlet on C3P:

The outlet on the C3P Looks ported a tad and the lip is also much thinner than Stock unit
Inlet on C3P:

The inlet is alot cleaner than the stock unit, also is a tad bigger as far as the cooling fins. This is also ported a tad

Inlet on Stock Unit:

Comparision Side by Side:

Overall, The C3P is smaller and not as tall as the Stock unit, but it is way more bulky than the stock unit, The coolant lines are larger internaly. I tested both units with a standard garden hose... The C3P does flow a lot easier than our stock units.

Overall the C3P looks like it will flow better than stock, both air flow and fluid. Im not expect really any gains(If any), but quicker recover will be nice There really never been a full dyno on it
Anyway I’m waiting for this weekend to install it, Hopefully I will make a simple but informational DIY.

Cheers!

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-23-2009 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Can't wait for the diy! and please either datalog or somehow mention how it affects the temperature, heat soak, and if there are any gains....from what i have heard, upgrading the i/c (if you are actually upgrading) may not actually give us additional hp, but may allow us to regain hp that is lost b/c of the heat produced. GL with the install!
Old 04-23-2009, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
great pics...i need one of those as well.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:59 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
good luck with the install. If you don't have any issues I will be amazed.

Take a couple of pictures of the threaded in/out sections close up please.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I will be following this one closely.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:48 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
I really hope the install goes well. Would be nice to hear.
Pics of the install would be sweet too.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
I really hope the install goes well. Would be nice to hear.
Pics of the install would be sweet too.
want to make bets on this one my friend? You still have your pages of corrections for the unit as well?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Volvo
If you look at my post, I will quote myself

"Now I have the Generation 2 of these C3P intercoolers as the first round had a bunch of fulfillment issues. I was advised that almost all those issue have been address but it might need a tad grinding on the brackets that’s it"

Nothing for aftermarket goes on perfectly, So im not expect this will eather

Last edited by OverDrive; 04-23-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I truly hope it works as advertised and ends up being much better than stock. I know mine is a ticking time bomb and when it comes time to replace it I am hoping there is a reputable, proven, IC out there better than stock that works as it's supposed to out of the box.
My fingers are crossed Overdrive! Thanks for giving it to us straight.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:33 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OverDrive
If you look at my post, I will quote myself

"Now I have the Generation 2 of these C3P intercoolers as the first round had a bunch of fulfillment issues. I was advised that almost all those issue have been address but it might need a tad grinding on the brackets that’s it"

Nothing for aftermarket goes on perfectly, So im not expect this will eather
I really am hoping for a nice install for you. I have yet to hear of one with this piece. If C3 got the bugs worked out thats a big +

Looks like one of the mounting flanges got smooshed?

Can you comment on the flange for the sensor? Is it double walled? or "thicker"? That was one of my concerns to C3 on mine.

Last edited by ACRucrazy; 04-23-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:06 PM

Volvo
I really am hoping for a nice install for you. I have yet to hear of one with this piece. If C3 got the bugs worked out thats a big +

Looks like one of the mounting flanges got smooshed?

Can you comment on the flange for the sensor? Is it double walled? or "thicker"? That was one of my concerns to C3 on mine.
To answer your question, yes thats the part that was damaged during shipping and is at a machine shop getting fixed right now, Not sure what you mean on the second question, I don't know much about welding, But it is for a Boost Sensor if i wanted to add a boost gauge, Right now its plugged since i don't have a sensor for it. Bradon asked me which one i wanted, I told him i wanted the latest one that just rolled off the assembly line. Thanks for your support guys!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by OverDrive
To answer your question, yes thats the part that was damaged during shipping and is at a machine shop getting fixed right now, Not sure what you mean on the second question, I don't know much about welding, But it is for a Boost Sensor if i wanted to add a boost gauge, Right now its plugged since i don't have a sensor for it. Bradon asked me which one i wanted, I told him i wanted the latest one that just rolled off the assembly line. Thanks for your support guys!
what he is getting at is the ones that we got had very thin material on the bottom where the sensor connect to. You will see the 3 holes cut out for it right next to your custom sensor location.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Volvo
Thanks for clarifying, Um Not sure, Soon as i get it back today from the shop ill take a couple pics of that and give you my thoughts on it.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
I hate to post this on the forum, but I have to tell my story. My phone calls with the secretary of Brandon are not answered. I called MULTIPLE Times spoke with her, mailed Multiple Times to Brandon. No answer. Simply NO ANSWER.

I have ordered my Intercooler from Brandon 6 MONTHS AGO!! Paid for it 6 Months ago!! First there were issues that were unacceptable in my opinion. And now when the second batch I have been waiting for, seems to look better than the first batch, its a pain in my heart to see that a guy from this forum waits a week or so and gets his IC from the new batch. My IC has been shipped according to the Tracking Nr. 5 Weeks ago (after 5 Months Waiting) but no update, no Intercooler yet. What has happened?? Could it take 5 weeks to ship it to Germany?? Is it lost?? No information... I'm speechless.

I'm so frustrated I can hardly find words for it. Sorry but I had to say this on the forum...

WHO CAN HELP ME ?????

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 04-23-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
OD - are you doing this yourself?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM

Volvo
yes I will be doing this by myself, I have one of my other friends coming over to work on his brakes and will be there if i need another hand, As im not a mechanic, Im just going to figure it out, I will have a grinder there just in case
Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Crossfire SRT-6
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
I hate to post this on the forum, but I have to tell my story. My phone calls with the secretary of Brandon are not answered. I called MULTIPLE Times spoke with her, mailed Multiple Times to Brandon. No answer. Simply NO ANSWER.

I have ordered my Intercooler from Brandon 6 MONTHS AGO!! Paid for it 6 Months ago!! First there were issues that were unacceptable in my opinion. And now when the second batch I have been waiting for, seems to look better than the first batch, its a pain in my heart to see that a guy from this forum waits a week or so and gets his IC from the new batch. My IC has been shipped according to the Tracking Nr. 5 Weeks ago (after 5 Months Waiting) but no update, no Intercooler yet. What has happened?? Could it take 5 weeks to ship it to Germany?? Is it lost?? No information... I'm speechless.

I'm so frustrated I can hardly find words for it. Sorry but I had to say this on the forum...

WHO CAN HELP ME ?????
Email Brandon directly. I had a difficult time getting things done going through the other person there.

Brandon Smith
Owner, Code3 Performance
brandon@code3performance.com
www.code3performance.com
Office (805)265-6765
Fax (805)265-6767
Old 04-24-2009, 01:45 AM

SL65 R230
Email Brandon directly. I had a difficult time getting things done going through the other person there.

Brandon Smith
Owner, Code3 Performance
brandon@code3performance.com
www.code3performance.com
Office (805)265-6765
Fax (805)265-6767

I have e-mailed Brandon directly 5 Times !!

Here is a quote from USPS. Does this mean the IC has shipped?

Label/Receipt Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 19, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

Thank you very much!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
I have e-mailed Brandon directly 5 Times !!

Here is a quote from USPS. Does this mean the IC has shipped?

Label/Receipt Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on March 19, 2009 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. No further information is available for this item.

Thank you very much!!!!
Sounds like they were just notified to expect a package for mailing. C3P strikes again....
Old 04-24-2009, 09:14 AM

SRT6
I called him about 10 times for information on the larger injectors he was suppose to come out with and never got a call back. I have spoken to him in the past and he is very pleasent when you get a hold of him, but too many people have issues with his products and poor customer service, and I feel he is not worth the aggrevation and will never use him.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Sounds like they were just notified to expect a package for mailing. C3P strikes again....
Actually, the USPS tracking system in completely worthless. That message will stay in their system until the package arrives at the doorstep. Every packages I've had sent to me via USPS has given me the same message.

The fact that it was sent via USPS is probably the biggest problem. They are slower with international shipments than FedEx or UPS because they need to transfer through other international carriers.

I really doubt that Brandon is screwing the pooch this badly on this order. Something else is up.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Actually, the USPS tracking system in completely worthless. That message will stay in their system until the package arrives at the doorstep. Every packages I've had sent to me via USPS has given me the same message.

The fact that it was sent via USPS is probably the biggest problem. They are slower with international shipments than FedEx or UPS because they need to transfer through other international carriers.

I really doubt that Brandon is screwing the pooch this badly on this order. Something else is up.
+1

International shipments like this are very often held up at customs. It is possible that the value of the IC was evaluated and customs charges may be due.
That's just one possibility that I've run into when shipping items to Europe.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:37 PM

SL65 R230
Thanks for your comments. Custom charges are due when I get the item at the german custom. But this should not delay the delivery up to 5 weeks or more... Why Brandon does not check the delivery status at USPS? Can't USPS see where the item is at the moment?
Old 04-24-2009, 02:23 PM

SL65 R230
Currently I phoned with Brandons Secretary. They say the Intercooler is lost on the shipping way. Brandon has to talk with the fabricator again. Does this mean waiting another 2 or 3 Months???Are there no other items in stock like the website says?? I don't know. FRUSTRATING. She said Brandon calls me back, then she hang up the phone. I never have experienced such business methods... This can't be true. Sorry, but I have no hope I get a call back or an mail...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C3P Intercooler Versus Stock *Pics* DIY-Coming Soon!