Cooling mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Cooling mods

By request, here is what I have for cooling mods.

My Supercharger cooling system is totally independent from the rest of the cooling system. It runs in one continuous loop My pump is wired up to run with the key in the Acc. position. Not sure if it yields any benifit, but it cools down the hot intercooler when the car is int he staging lanes. Really though, the Intercooler will only heat back up once you start the car.

I moved my outside temp sensor as some of you may know to my intake. My temp on an 87 degree day were about 117 degrees (at the intake). I then moved it again to just after the intercooler to monitor IAT's. My currant IAT's on an 87 degree Arizona day were 100 degrees. Under WOT the temps climb to 130 degrees. All in all not bad but I think I can do better. I got my guys searching for the DTM style intercooler that uses a larger longer core.

I'm also doing an oil cooler upgrade that will also aid in keeping the motor's temps down

Currant parts:

Jabsco "Watter Puppy", It flows like crazy, It has a flexible impeller and is shaft driven. $150 at a local boat shop. I have to say Its loud so its not for everyone.

Audi TT desert spec secondary heat exchanger. Audi TT's had an over heating problem here in AZ so the dealer installed two smaller radiators to aid in cooling. It was kicking around so I used it.

C32 heat exchanger soon to be Eurocharged

Magna Charger reservoir. It works well, but its kinda small.

Here is a quick drawing of what my setup looks like.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 04-26-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Sorta wish my IAT was only ~130 after a 30 second WOT pull. Looks like yours is working really well.

How much boost are you making again? =)
Old 04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by splinter
Sorta wish my IAT was only ~130 after a 30 second WOT pull. Looks like yours is working really well.

How much boost are you making again? =)
I'm not doing a 30 second WOT pull. I would be half way to the moon after 30 seconds lol. (sarcasticly speaking)

But after a 3rd gear romp and on to the next gear. those are the temps I'm seeing.

As for boost.... I'm not sure if i should tell..... Ok its like 7psi at redline.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
haha. So there’re no decent xxx MPH off-highway straightaways in Arizona?
Join us in Mexico sometime. You have a go with cruzinquick yet?

Seriously, yours is the performance standard by which all other C AMG’s are to be judged.
Been following your build since its inception. Well done…keep after it.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by splinter
haha. So there’re no decent xxx MPH off-highway straightaways in Arizona?
Join us in Mexico sometime. You have a go with cruzinquick yet?

Seriously, yours is the performance standard by which all other C AMG’s are to be judged.
Been following your build since its inception. Well done…keep after it.

I had a chance at him last time out at the drags and i relighted the tree trying to stage. Evan says i was trying to deep stage but all I was doing was trying to preload and i didnt have my brake on hard enough. So it was the lamest thing Ever. I got a video of it. i will get it up for ya to see.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

As always subscribed
Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Are you still running a 50/50 mix? If so-def switch to distilled water (get some Redline Water Wetter in there too-that'll cut 10 deg off top end)-

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by rockjock
Are you still running a 50/50 mix? If so-def switch to distilled water (get some Redline Water Wetter in there too-that'll cut 10 deg off top end)-
I run water wetter, distilled water and a touch coolant.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
hooley thanx for posting all this info for me!
heres a website i found and thought about getting one of the bigger h/e and plumbing it to my system.
http://www.frozenboost.com/? maybe theres something you can use
Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
By request, here is what I have for cooling mods.

My Supercharger cooling system is totally independent from the rest of the cooling system. It runs in one continuous loop My pump is wired up to run with the key in the Acc. position. Not sure if it yields any benifit, but it cools down the hot intercooler when the car is int he staging lanes. Really though, the Intercooler will only heat back up once you start the car.

I moved my outside temp sensor as some of you may know to my intake. My temp on an 87 degree day were about 117 degrees (at the intake). I then moved it again to just after the intercooler to monitor IAT's. My currant IAT's on an 87 degree Arizona day were 100 degrees. Under WOT the temps climb to 130 degrees. All in all not bad but I think I can do better. I got my guys searching for the DTM style intercooler that uses a larger longer core.

I'm also doing an oil cooler upgrade that will also aid in keeping the motor's temps down

Currant parts:

Jabsco "Watter Puppy", It flows like crazy, It has a flexible impeller and is shaft driven. $150 at a local boat shop. I have to say Its loud so its not for everyone.

Audi TT desert spec secondary heat exchanger. Audi TT's had an over heating problem here in AZ so the dealer installed two smaller radiators to aid in cooling. It was kicking around so I used it.

C32 heat exchanger soon to be Eurocharged

Magna Charger reservoir. It works well, but its kinda small.

Here is a quick drawing of what my setup looks like.

I don't know how the factory routes the lines, but I would send the manifold intercooler outlet lines to the heat exchangers before entering the reservoir. That way you have positive pressure through the H/Es and lower losses on the suction to the pump. It will also do a better job of purging trapped air from the system.

Use 1" id lines if you can and make sure that you don't have any high points that can trap air blocking off flow.

Flexible impeller pumps don't like to be run dry, so a larger reservoir wouldn't be a bad idea. Mount it as high as you can.

On cars I've had with oil temp gauges I've noticed that oil temperatures are most sensitive to engine rpm. With the way that our cars are geared I don't know if you'd benefit from a larger oil cooler. I would also imagine that you're running out of free space up front for an air-oil cooler. A larger water-oil cooler with 185 deg F coolant probably won't do much to help either.

By the way, I wouldn't say that Audi TTs have a problem with AZ temps. The American wife's 3.2 doesn't, though it does have one secondary radiator in parallel with the main one and two fans.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Temp accuracy, can you datalog?

Can you datalog IAT's on you car like the newer F/I ones? For comparison?When we finished my setup I was going to try the same thing with the OEM temp probe your using. My tech who has helped me numerous times told me that I wouldn't get super accurate readings as it wouldn't relay the temps properly or as quickly as they are actually occuring within the blower/intake tract... I don't know.

What I can tell you as fact is that it is extremely hard to find a straight IAT temp gauge as an aftermarket part. It took me months and autometer was the only manufacture. What prompted me to post this is that the part has its own small processor computer box thingie you have to wire up seperatly and pretty specifically. In the directions it mentions multiple samplings over each second so that readings are more accurate and its also good to temps well over 300 so it cooks in there pretty nicely.

At the TB location in 80 degree weather I get 100-120 crusing IATs and ambient or lower under boost post cooling. Pre cooling my blower will push about 160-170 degrees at 80F. It burns your hand.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 Mercedes S63 P30, 2015 Mercedes GL550, 2009 BMW 650i Convertible
All, give Royal Purple Purple Ice a try. At my shop on high hp Vipers and Mustangs, in multiple tests and on the track (have tested it extensively on the dyno, opentracking, etc.), it handily outperformed Water Wetter. Frankly, I've found that Water Wetter didn't do much at all.

Use it in both your radiator and heat exchanger. 80/20 water/antifreeze (more antifreeze in colder climates) plus one bottle of Purple Ice.

Bill
Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by billapex
All, give Royal Purple Purple Ice a try. At my shop on high hp Vipers and Mustangs, in multiple tests and on the track (have tested it extensively on the dyno, opentracking, etc.), it handily outperformed Water Wetter. Frankly, I've found that Water Wetter didn't do much at all.

Use it in both your radiator and heat exchanger. 80/20 water/antifreeze (more antifreeze in colder climates) plus one bottle of Purple Ice.

Bill
I use water wetter only because it real easy to get. I've searched for purple ice but couldnt find it. IMO Its all the same stuff Water Wetter, Purple Ice, Mo-cool, I think water wetter foams up abit though
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 Mercedes S63 P30, 2015 Mercedes GL550, 2009 BMW 650i Convertible
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I use water wetter only because it real easy to get. I've searched for purple ice but couldnt find it. IMO Its all the same stuff Water Wetter, Purple Ice, Mo-cool, I think water wetter foams up abit though
It's not all the same, trust me. Purple Ice is worth seeking out. I used to buy it in bulk directly, but you should be able to get it from Summit, Jeg's, etc. I have also seen it at AutoZone, NAPA, and Checker. You can also find a local dealer directly from the Royal Purple website:
http://royalpurple.findlocation.com/

Try it, you'll like it!!

Bill
Old 04-27-2009, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
any chance you have fotos of the air temp mod you did? it sounds like a great idea!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Can you datalog IAT's on you car like the newer F/I ones? For comparison?When we finished my setup I was going to try the same thing with the OEM temp probe your using. My tech who has helped me numerous times told me that I wouldn't get super accurate readings as it wouldn't relay the temps properly or as quickly as they are actually occuring within the blower/intake tract... I don't know.

What I can tell you as fact is that it is extremely hard to find a straight IAT temp gauge as an aftermarket part. It took me months and autometer was the only manufacture. What prompted me to post this is that the part has its own small processor computer box thingie you have to wire up seperatly and pretty specifically. In the directions it mentions multiple samplings over each second so that readings are more accurate and its also good to temps well over 300 so it cooks in there pretty nicely.

At the TB location in 80 degree weather I get 100-120 crusing IATs and ambient or lower under boost post cooling. Pre cooling my blower will push about 160-170 degrees at 80F. It burns your hand.
The best IAT meter I've seen is made by "Davtron" It a aviation gauge that can monitor all sorts of air temps. not the best looking gauge but it works. It could be retrofitted to the car and say put in the glove box. My shop said If I show up with any Autometer gauge I'm banned. They must have something against Autometer.

As for the temp sensor it was just a quick idea I came up with. All the guys at the shop thought i was nuts for wanting to put it after the intercooler. None of them thought it would work or be fast enough.... They were wrong. Its surprizingly fast I must say. Temp goes up and down with my right foot. As for its accuracy.. IDK?

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
any chance you have fotos of the air temp mod you did? it sounds like a great idea!
I will have some tomorrow.