Motor Trend July 2009

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Motor Trend July 2009

Have you guys seen the test of the BMW M5 versus the Caddy CTS-V (gen. 2.0) Beware because the caddy is amazingly quick at a tested 0-60 in 4.0 with manual (both had manuals) and qtr at 12.3 at 117 versus the M5 at 0-60 4.1 and qtr at 12.5 at 116.3? Very close yes, BUT there is also a nearly $30 K price difference. The caddy is really a nice car and for the extra saved, you could buy a used E55 for a DD.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
The new CTS-V is definitely a force to be reckoned with. Impressive!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
havent seen the test but am well aware of what the new CTS-V is capable of with stock as well as with pulley and tune.....it is insane! i know its an american car, but it is a heck of a value and from what i have seen, the interior has been dramatically improved.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by jturkel
havent seen the test but am well aware of what the new CTS-V is capable of with stock as well as with pulley and tune.....it is insane! i know its an american car, but it is a heck of a value and from what i have seen, the interior has been dramatically improved.
This particular car was pretty loaded and stickered at $ 67,540, the Beemer loaded at a steep $ 94,895 (the BMW was 41 % more than the Caddy), that's a big price difference. Sure , you can say that you'll make it up at resale BUT maybe not since AMGs and M cars drop fast in a market like this!! Gotta give it to the Caddy, it even did better lap times than the BMW and was only a tick off the new Lotus S 260 in lap times. Bang for the buck, this test definitely went to the Caddy!!!

Turkel, your sig is still killing me daily!!!! Where is that girl with the "nip slip???" Surely not at Moosie's home!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
read it a couple nights ago-was def impressed with the Caddie-but I still think a BMW M buyer isnt a Caddie buyer (I wont even get into the BK thing recently)-
As a buyer-if I could afford the M-thats the buy-but on a budget, you def get the bang for the buck!
I'd like to see one of these (either) on a long term test and see whos seats are better, fuel econ, ect-my guess is the BMW in a long haul, is a better buy-
I think in the same issue the diss'd the new vette pretty bad with a cheap interior, ect.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by rockjock
read it a couple nights ago-was def impressed with the Caddie-but I still think a BMW M buyer isnt a Caddie buyer (I wont even get into the BK thing recently)-
As a buyer-if I could afford the M-thats the buy-but on a budget, you def get the bang for the buck!
I'd like to see one of these (either) on a long term test and see whos seats are better, fuel econ, ect-my guess is the BMW in a long haul, is a better buy-
I think in the same issue the diss'd the new vette pretty bad with a cheap interior, ect.
Probably NOT, BUT I do think that people will cross-shop these cars for the $$ involved. Do the Math, for the $30 K you save , a tree-hugger (who also has a performance itch) could buy a maxed out 2010 Prius & the Maxed out Caddy and have money left to put into the Caddy's tank too!!! The Caddy may very well keep some people out of BMW showrooms and may even bring in some potential BMW buyers into GM dealerships. I know that I would look where there's $30 K difference involved. The CTS-V will dust a new M3 which is even MORE $$ than the Caddy!!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
a friend of mine, who is literally a BMW nutswinger (and had one in the past), and who is ALL about the M5 and M6, has said himself he would rather have the new CTS-V. I know that doesnt mean much on here, but just giving some input from what I have heard/seen/experienced about this comparison.

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM

I see that as like cross shopping the Evo X and the 135i-yeah, they are in the same class-but I really do think they are different buyers-I think they would look, but if you are a new buyer to the market for an $80k+ car (M5)-there are others out there that would also compete (Viper, ect)-if you were a $60k shopper, again, other cars that would compete-Car and Driver picks the somewhat extreme for a comparison here-
I'm sure many of you that could list cars for the $94k ticket that beat the M5 in aspects, and on the flip, name a couple $60k sleepers that would dust the caddie....
I just never liked Gadillacs anyway....
Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
a friend of mine, who is literally a BMW nutswinger (and had one in the past), and who is ALL about the M5 and M6, has said himself he would rather have the new CTS-V. I know that doesnt mean much on here, but just giving some input from what I have heard/seen/experienced about this comparison.
At least the guy is reasonable. I find there's too many Benz and Bimmer guys who would never ever look at an American Car!! Why NOT?? Other than build quality issues (they are getting better) and resale values, they are really becoming very good cars!!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
I see that as like cross shopping the Evo X and the 135i-yeah, they are in the same class-but I really do think they are different buyers-I think they would look, but if you are a new buyer to the market for an $80k+ car (M5)-there are others out there that would also compete (Viper, ect)-if you were a $60k shopper, again, other cars that would compete-Car and Driver picks the somewhat extreme for a comparison here-
I'm sure many of you that could list cars for the $94k ticket that beat the M5 in aspects, and on the flip, name a couple $60k sleepers that would dust the caddie....
Its was in Motor Trend, definitely NOT CD!!! There was no Vette test in that issue either!!

I just never liked Gadillacs anyway....[/QUOTE]

You see, its just that kind of attitude that stifles us all. Even the old CTS-V was not a bad car. With that attitude, you'll never try Cherry Coke either or have a hot girl lick the Three Pointed Star on your hood!!!

Last edited by Newzchspy; 06-03-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Newzchspy
At least the guy is reasonable. I find there's too many Benz and Bimmer guys who would never ever look at an American Car!! Why NOT?? Other than build quality issues (they are getting better) and resale values, they are really becoming very good cars!!
Isnt that like saying other then death, I hear AIDS isnt that bad to start out-and medical research is coming along!

Personally-resale and quality are why I drove/drive the cars I do.....even if economy is the #1 factor-those 2 beat it out hands down (imo)-
Not saying I wouldnt consider one-I got to drive a new ZR1 over Memorial day at the track-it was great-but for $120k, there are a lot of imports I would have on top (it still looks like an upgraded Grand Am interior....)
Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
i think American cars are becoming better. Most (if any) are not quite yet at European par, but I think they're doing much better. I will be completely honest with you guys. A while back before it was decided that Pontiac would be eliminated, I was considering trading in my car for a new Pontiac G8 GXP plus cash. checked them out....they were surprisingly nice and that LS3 motor is the shizz.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM

2005 c55amg, 2000 clk430, 2002 clk55amg, 2008 clk63amg black series
Its was in Motor Trend, definitely NOT CD!!! There was no Vette test in that issue either!!

You see, its just that kind of attitude that stifles us all. Even the old CTS-V was not a bad car. With that attitude, you'll never try Cherry Coke either or have a hot girl lick the Three Pointed Star on your hood!!![/QUOTE]

screw BMW's and Cadillacs....i will take my C55, put the money in it and smoke them both.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
i think American cars are becoming better. Most (if any) are not quite yet at European par, but I think they're doing much better. I will be completely honest with you guys. A while back before it was decided that Pontiac would be eliminated, I was considering trading in my car for a new Pontiac G8 GXP plus cash. checked them out....they were surprisingly nice and that LS3 motor is the shizz.

You too!!! I drove one and it was well built and that engine is to die for!! Too bad Pontiac is belly up! They still have em on lots, car will be cold as stone.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Hmm.. What about the top end?? M5 / M6 are pretty amazing on the hwy...
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Hmm.. What about the top end?? M5 / M6 are pretty amazing on the hwy...
LS motors are notorious for their topend...there is a kill story in that respective forum of a heads/cam LS2 GTO and its topend vs an SL600
Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
already knew. interior's pretty nice too.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Check this out.........the track times indicate a 600 hp factory car

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2839a.shtml
Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 AM

You see, its just that kind of attitude that stifles us all. Even the old CTS-V was not a bad car. With that attitude, you'll never try Cherry Coke either or have a hot girl lick the Three Pointed Star on your hood!!![/quote]
Okay-I got the wrong mag-my bad-
as for my opinion on the cars-I'm coming from a 9 year backgrund in new and used car sales-and still working in the auto industry-I've driven a lot of freaking cars. I've driving the old CTS and yes, its a great car if you compare it to the GXP Bonnie at the time, ect-but I still dont think that comparing a $90k car to a $60k car is "fair". Its the smallest things that add up when you get in that car that will change your mind-the seats (sounds like the M's were much better then the Recaros in the CTS), nav set up, stiching, seat stuffing, seat angle in the rear, radio function, center stack layout-those are the things that a buyer should be looking at-not that the CTS is .1 sec faster to 60, and holds a whole .1g better (same tires on the cars for the test)-but who among us is going to buy the car and do that everytime you get in it? You're buying a large class sedan and driving it like its DTM everywhere?
My point is that most of the car mags (MT and CD) are comparing cars that simply have similar #'s for power and weight-not much else.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Okay-I got the wrong mag-my bad-
as for my opinion on the cars-I'm coming from a 9 year backgrund in new and used car sales-and still working in the auto industry-I've driven a lot of freaking cars. I've driving the old CTS and yes, its a great car if you compare it to the GXP Bonnie at the time, ect-but I still dont think that comparing a $90k car to a $60k car is "fair". Its the smallest things that add up when you get in that car that will change your mind-the seats (sounds like the M's were much better then the Recaros in the CTS), nav set up, stiching, seat stuffing, seat angle in the rear, radio function, center stack layout-those are the things that a buyer should be looking at-not that the CTS is .1 sec faster to 60, and holds a whole .1g better (same tires on the cars for the test)-but who among us is going to buy the car and do that everytime you get in it? You're buying a large class sedan and driving it like its DTM everywhere?
My point is that most of the car mags (MT and CD) are comparing cars that simply have similar #'s for power and weight-not much else.
Seriously? We're talking about an M car and a CTS-V. These are performance models of the vanila 5 series and CTS. The main focus on those cars, to a buyer in that particular market anyway, should be the performance, 0-60, power/weight, 1/4 mile times, etc. If they are more concerned with stitching and rear seat angles, they would (should) be looking at the regular non-performance *****-to-the-wall edition.
I would think performance was the main factor in you going for an AMG vice a standard C class.

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 06-04-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
just wait till the tuners get ahold of the V ... reprogram, supercharger pulleys... headers...

They are going to be mid/high 11, 124mph cars..on street tires
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 AM

2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
The automatic CTS-V is even quicker

I dont think stitching and stuffing would make me spend an extra $30k and sacrafice performance. You could get any seats you want for $30k...
Old 06-04-2009, 12:52 PM

2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
i was at the bmw dealership on saturday to get my dad's car serviced... while i was waiting i thought i'd check out the stickers on some of the cars... fully loaded 2010 M5 was at $101K!!!

u could get a C55, E55, e46 M3 and go on a 3 week cruise for that amount
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
How long till they stop production on this car because of GM's bankruptcy? Or has it been stopped already?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 E63s AMG
All GM is on a 11 week halt. After that Cadillac is not stopping, its one of their stronger brands.

Chevrolet, GMC, Cadillac, Buick and some 'line's' will be rebranded and continue under the new company.

Only source I have is from a principle engineer on the Volt Project.

------

Speculation and real ideas that have been tossed around from the inside

------

Pontiac G6 & G8 platform moving to Buick in 2011 ; Very real possibility = Buick Grand National off the V8 G8 platform (along with the concept firebird platform)

Saturn completely going away, with no buyers

Hummer going to a Chinese company, legal issues with AMC first Gen hummers considering their US military vehicles. Brand may loose civilian division and get completely absolved into US Government. (Imagine US main workhorse vehicle being supplied by China?)

Last edited by alumar; 06-04-2009 at 02:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend July 2009