C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Anyone installed aftermarket primary cats with no issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
Really getting my post count up on this thread!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MountainStone
Ha! You are 'exhausted' aren't you!

Thanx for the heads-up on the Random Tech cats; I am definitely trying to get ALL the sound to exit from the rear of the car...
I dont have tons of experience with this.. But chopping out the 2end cats and maybe moving the resonator up closer to the front will help.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
UPDATE: Finally got my front cats replaced today. The shop used two spun-body 300-cell, metal-core, 2.5-inch aftermarket cats (dunno the manufacturer).

If you have read through this thread, you know I was experiencing an exhaust sound that had stumped every shop that looked at the car. Replacing the primary cats cured the mystery sound, and it is a mystery no longer: the fabricator found that the passenger side primary cat was completely empty. Every bit of the media was gone, which is prolly what killed the secondary cat on that side of the car when it landed there. The empty cat made a sound like an exhaust leak when the engine was under load, but quieted down at idle and steady loads. The driver side primary cat was beginning to disintegrate, as well.

Anyway, I now have two new primary cats, no secondary cats and no resonator. My earlier complaints about the displeasing exhaust sound are void, as the car now sounds pretty damn good. I can't compare the current sound quality to the factory setup since the car has sounded like *** since I got it, but I am happy with the sound as it now stands. I may still remove the factory muffler and have an aeroturbine installed in the straight pipe where the resonator once sat, replacing the factory muffler with pipe to the tips in search of a deeper tone but that will be later.

Just wanted to let you guys know...
Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MountainStone
UPDATE: Finally got my front cats replaced today. The shop used two spun-body 300-cell, metal-core, 2.5-inch aftermarket cats (dunno the manufacturer).

If you have read through this thread, you know I was experiencing an exhaust sound that had stumped every shop that looked at the car. Replacing the primary cats cured the mystery sound, and it is a mystery no longer: the fabricator found that the passenger side primary cat was completely empty. Every bit of the media was gone, which is prolly what killed the secondary cat on that side of the car when it landed there. The empty cat made a sound like an exhaust leak when the engine was under load, but quieted down at idle and steady loads. The driver side primary cat was beginning to disintegrate, as well.

Anyway, I now have two new primary cats, no secondary cats and no resonator. My earlier complaints about the displeasing exhaust sound are void, as the car now sounds pretty damn good. I can't compare the current sound quality to the factory setup since the car has sounded like *** since I got it, but I am happy with the sound as it now stands. I may still remove the factory muffler and have an aeroturbine installed in the straight pipe where the resonator once sat, replacing the factory muffler with pipe to the tips in search of a deeper tone but that will be later.

Just wanted to let you guys know...
thanks for the update! glad you were able to resolve your problem.....it was definitely unusual to hear someone complain about the res delete b/c NO one had ever before....but glad to see we're all good now!