DIY maintenance vs. Dealership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
DIY maintenance vs. Dealership?

I'm thinking about buying a 05 C55 (<50k mi). I'm curious to know if anyone here does their maintenance themselves (oil change, filter change, grease, etc) instead of having the dealership do it? Not sure if it's worth paying $100's of dollars for an oil and filter change. At the same time, some will say that it can decrease the value of your car if it's not in MB's system (regardless that you can keep your own paperwork). But I wonder if it's worth it, and with the amount of depreciation these cars already have had, if it's even worth it in the big picture.

I plan on keeping the car 3-5 years, @ 12-15k miles per year, mostly highway. After that, who knows what the value will be. Looking at previous C36's and C43's, doesn't look like very high (or desirable).

PS - Are there any major known issues that might be deal breakers? I haven't found any major things on this forum (C55 only, not C32).

Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I can only speak from experience, In the UK all garages ask is if you have FSH, its pretty much frowned on over here for a quality vehicle not to have fsh, on the other hand in the values guide i have never recieved anymore for a vehicle regardless of history or not !, its a grey area.....some garages will proberbly try to take avantage of you if you do not have history........ at the end of the day if you can afford it, get it done properly, if on a budget then "you pays your money and you take a chance"
Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
From my own experience and what I've read on this forum, the C55s are pretty reliable. Remember, this engine has seen service for a number of years prior to the release of the C55 (IE CLK55 etc). The only "problems" that I've experienced are with gaskets sweating/leaking oil. Not a big problem to remedy. Others have had to replace their engine mounts due to leaking and subsequent vibration. Again, not a serious problem! There may be a few other typical C-class issues/electronic gremlins but nothing that should be a show stopper. My car is under MB warranty and I get all my servicing and oil changes done at the dealership. I think an oil/filter change costs me around $130 once, maybe twice a year. Not a big deal IMO and I don't mind throwing them some business for some things.....
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
I bought my c32 from a private party with 70k miles on it. The previous owner said he went to the dealership for everything. I checked carfax and all the services had been done at the dealership and showed up on carfax.

When I changed my oil at 71.8k miles (the sticker on the window said it was good till like 73.5k) the stuff that came out was like molasses. I checked my air filters (which are supposed to be changed at 60k miles I believe by the service intervals) They were full of all kinds of gunk and rocks and sticks and bugs and pterodactyls and I dont just mean a little bit. Like the filters had stuff caked in them. The winshield washer fluid was completely empty...

All easy fixes but I see what quality of work the dealership does.

Last edited by Panzerknacker; 06-29-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I had pterodactyls in mine too at 35k miles!
You can get by with it at home-I dont see a used car manager (MBZ or not) really going to service to see if everything was done the night you decide to trade it in-
filters, oil, grease, tq's, ect have all been done in my garage and are not a big project-
gl on the buy!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
GL 350 Bluetec
Basically I am saying that the dealership skipped a obvious item that should have been replaced at that interval wether they were bad or not.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with dealership service from a number of manufacturers and dealers. I dont trust those guys to sit the right way on a toilet seat weather its a Benz or a KIA.

Your best Warranty is your own tool kit.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
I second that. Oil and filter changes are very easy on the C55. Do it your self with real mobil 1 or other approved oil. As far as I know, even if the dealer or service center uses true synthetic it is almost always recycled synthetic, collected from other cars, processed, blended and cleaned. Not as good as the stuff you buy yourself. Besides, I change my oil every 5k miles. The oil is fine but the filter craps out around then.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So the feeling I'm getting from reading these boards is that these cars are somewhat reliable. That's good because I plan on getting a used C55 that's out of warranty. Good for me though is that it seems this C55 is in immaculate condition.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
True the cars are bullet proof but do a search to find some of the common issues that include, seat heater failure, transmission seal leak around the multi plug, crank position sensor failure, needing to reboot/reprogram the NAV/radio, zenon headlight flicker, parking brake sensor adjustment, steering wheel telescope adjusment motor failure, etc. among other annoying electical troubles. The voltage regulator on the C55 should last about 75k to 85k miles and can be replaced without replacing the alternator. My general rule is to never own an AMG without a warranty. I purchased a Mercury Insurance aftermarket warranty to 100k after the OE warranty expired. This was a great deal -- it has already paid out more than twice what I paid for it.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c55amg, 2000 clk430, 2002 clk55amg, 2008 clk63amg black series
Originally Posted by Tump43
True the cars are bullet proof but do a search to find some of the common issues that include, seat heater failure, transmission seal leak around the multi plug, crank position sensor failure, needing to reboot/reprogram the NAV/radio, zenon headlight flicker, parking brake sensor adjustment, steering wheel telescope adjusment motor failure, etc. among other annoying electical troubles. The voltage regulator on the C55 should last about 75k to 85k miles and can be replaced without replacing the alternator. My general rule is to never own an AMG without a warranty. I purchased a Mercury Insurance aftermarket warranty to 100k after the OE warranty expired. This was a great deal -- it has already paid out more than twice what I paid for it.
+1
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well the good thing is I bought the C55 today

Hope to take delivery by Friday.