C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need some advice on deciding which cars to get..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on deciding which cars to get..

Hi guys
currently i own a 1999 BMW 328i, and i am thinking about upgrading my car to a C32 or GS400/430... i know those 2 cars are not in the same league but just want to hear what you guys think. ok here is the thing, my parents kinda want to to get the GS400 due to the reliability issue...how is the reliability of mb compared to lexus?? i really like the c32 and i know the performance is unbeatable. just need to hear what you guys think..
thanks a lot guys
mik
Old 02-16-2003, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
You will see everything from "my car hasn't had any problems" to "i'm starting to regret my Mercedes purchase". Most, if not all of the problems you will encounter will be solved easily under warranty. Chances are you will be satisfied with the reliability, but there are no guarantees. If your parents are satisfied with the 328i, I see no reason for them to be worried about a C32.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
hmm.... i'd say go w/the lexus GS430. mercedes won't offer as good of customer satisfaction as lexus. TRUST ME. lexus are much well built than mercedes.

BUT i still got the C32... cuz my choice was either the M3 or C32...... but they wanted 3K markup for the M3... and... i got 1K discount off MSRP for the C32... so i decided to give mercedes a try.... i should of stay w/BMW... at least i get a bimmmer loaner car at Santa Barbara... not a saturn.

and i have heard good things about lexus's service department~ just a thought... nothing bias here in the mercedes forum!

Jerry
Old 02-16-2003, 09:50 AM

2002 C32
I selected my C32 because it offered the best of both worlds - Performance and luxury.

When you test drive the C32 you will obviously want to experience the performance aspects of the car.

However, try to select a test drive route that most closely characterises your actual day to day driving. You will notice that the C32 will also impress you in normal every day driving. Smooth, quiet, and comfortable for everyday use with power to spare for times when you just want to have a little bit of fun.

As far as reliability, I have not had any problems with my C32 to date, but that does not mean that I will not in the future. Anyway, high performance cars with complicated electronic technology will almost always experience some type of glitch. That is why we have a warranty. Try to select a dealer that offers exceptional service so that when something does go wrong, you will be well served.

Above all, select the car you feel more comfortable with regardless of what other people think.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:20 PM

flinstones
Re: Need some advice on deciding which cars to get..

Originally posted by aznomega
Hi guys
currently i own a 1999 BMW 328i, and i am thinking about upgrading my car to a C32 or GS400/430... i know those 2 cars are not in the same league but just want to hear what you guys think. ok here is the thing, my parents kinda want to to get the GS400 due to the reliability issue...how is the reliability of mb compared to lexus?? i really like the c32 and i know the performance is unbeatable. just need to hear what you guys think..
thanks a lot guys
mik
if u can find a dealer w/ excellent service then get the C32
Old 02-16-2003, 01:22 PM

MB quality

I think silva is WAY off base in saying that Lexus are 'more well built than Mercedes". Are you kidding me? LOL

While Lexus is undeniably a great manufacturer, they are nowhere near M-B standards in my opinion, and from my experiences.

Trust me, you will NOT regret the C32 in lieu of the Lexus, believe ME. Chances are, this will be the only car you will ever be excited about driving EACH and EVERY time you get behind the wheel.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:28 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Re: MB quality

Originally posted by Marko
I think silva is WAY off base in saying that Lexus are 'more well built than Mercedes". Are you kidding me? LOL

While Lexus is undeniably a great manufacturer, they are nowhere near M-B standards in my opinion, and from my experiences.

Trust me, you will NOT regret the C32 in lieu of the Lexus, believe ME. Chances are, this will be the only car you will ever be excited about driving EACH and EVERY time you get behind the wheel.
I agree completely. The C32 is my second Mercedes. I bought a ML320 back in 1998 when they were introduced. The design and quality of these two vehicles has been top-notch. The purchase and service experience were great too. On that note though, pay attention to the comment above regarding selecting the right dealer. The closest dealer to me had terrible feedback. A few miles further in the other direction was a much better dealer.

The C32 is awesome...
Old 02-16-2003, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
well..... im just speaking from my opinion. my C32 hasn't been great to me. and my lexus experience has been nothing BUT great. you guys can say what you want. im just saying what i want. hey... im driving a C32 rite? its not like im bashing mercedes when i don't have one. :o
Old 02-16-2003, 07:47 PM

M-B

No, but you did say "TRUST me-lexus are much well built than mercedes" which could lead people to believe that you are THE authority on Lexus and Mercedes, when it's abundantly clear that you are not.

To speak about your experiences is one thing, but to make a sweeping generalization about the manufacturer is asinine.

Enjoy your C32 in good health!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:06 PM

'02 CLK 55 cabrio (sold), '03 C32 (sold), '04 R32 (sold), '04 911/X-51 (keeper)
My take

I think that of the two, the C32 is much more driver oriented, and obviously is similar (but a stronger performer) to the BMW that you've been driving. Concurently, there is no disputing the fact that Lexus has earned its outstanding reputation for delivering cars that are well engineered and assembled. Toyotas have long been the industry standard for reliability, and, with the inception of the Lexus brand fifteen years ago, for value-oriented luxury. But the AMG brand, for a much longer period of time, has been recognized as one of the best performing vehicles in the industry. I just think you will be happier in the long run with the Benz, even if it does require an additional trip or two or three to the dealership for a (warranty) repair. My two cents. Obviously, you need to drive both if you can and make your own personal determination.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:00 PM

2002 C32 and 1999 F-150 Lightning
I agree with the last few responses to Silva's comments. Not to flame Silva, but after owning other German cars and now a C32, I would have to say that no other car is put together like a Benz. Why do you think the car mags always say "Bank vault" when referring to M-B? They are built to last and to be luxurious along the way...with AMG's being fast to boot.

I will agree that Lexus has built a reputation for build quality and service experience over the past decade but as far as quality of materiels (plastics, leather, woods) they are still Toyotas compared to the German luxury brands (BMW, MB, and Audi). Don't believe me? At the LA auto show we sat in the X5, Touareg, and GX470 back-to-back-to-back. The X5 is a great standard, the Touareg is even nicer, and the GX felt and looked like the 4-runner that it really is.

Again, not flaming Lexus...they are nice but not in same league as the Germans.

Last comment for thread starter...how about exclusivity? Try asking Lexus owners what that word means?
Collin
Old 02-17-2003, 02:11 PM

C32
My previous car was also a 1999 bmw328.
I was trying to decide between M3 and C32. Mind you that I have always been driving a bmw since I got my licence (17 y ago).
After driving both cars the choice was very easy.

C32 it was.

Why ? as stated by someone above "I selected my C32 because it offered the best of both worlds - Performance and luxury.
"
I cant agree more.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:42 PM

C32 AMG
I had a GS400 before my C32 and it is not even a contest. I wouldnt even get in a GS ever again. The Lexus is at the end of its run and is due for a remodel within a year or two. Get the C32, the car is so much better, not as good on gas but much more elusive. It demands that second look and the market is flooded with worthless GS's as my neighbor just sold his 2001 GS430 for 30K. He paid 40k for it 8 months ago and the car had 11k miles on it when he sold it. GET THE C32!!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 06:41 PM

thanks guys

hey thanks a lot guys for all the respond
my bugdet is about 56K so either i can get a used c32 or a fully loaded GS430, i know the GS is about to redesign withing maybe 1 or 2 years but it's been my favorite car since it was out in 98.
i test drove one of my friend's slightly modded GS400 and the handling was pretty good in terms of its size. of course its not comparable with my 328i but good. i really appreciate the un-biased answers from "silva" because personally i think lexus does have good quality but i never had a MB so guess i cant really judge on that..btw i never had a chance to test drive the c32...any of you guys are kind enough to give me a ride?? i am in LA area, pasadena. any of you are around that area??

thanks again guys
Old 02-19-2003, 04:22 AM

Schrempps C 32 AMG
Take the Benz
Best choice and welcome to the club
Old 02-19-2003, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
if your budget is around 56K... OTD for everything... i would sugguest still getting the lexus. unless you could find a C32 that is used in the LA area. i think its pretty impossible. they are hard to come around. but of course if you are not in a hurry... you could aways wait.

house of imports in buena park has a almost stock C32 on the showroom. im pretty sure you can get for aruond 58K OTD.

you can give them a try.

i knew i was gonna get flamed for sayin lexus is better... its just that my C32 hasn't been treatin me well lately. and my dealer is not helping either.

Jerry
Old 02-19-2003, 04:40 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
I got my C32 for $57K out the door.

Just shop around, you might find one with your price range.

I'm sure GS430 is a great car but it will be a better car if it got the turbo in it.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Honestly, I don't think the reliability alone is enough to make a decision between the two cars. It isn't like you are comparing a Jaguar E-type and a Honda Accord.