Just curious who has pros/cons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question Just curious who has pros/cons

About using this instead of nitrous? Opinions please...what are your personal pros or cons on using such things on our C32s? I am not stating it will be done and neither am I suggesting it won't.

http://www.snowperformance.net/index.php
Old 07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i was told that methanol injection won't make power on our car. it will just maintain cool temps and help maintain the power that we have or already should have. so basically help prevent us from losing power.

nice little link here: http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...injection.html

edit: it's also dangerous too if you dont have some kind of gauge to let you know how much you have left (not sure why you wouldnt want one).....but some guy on the C36/43 forum blew his motor b/c he ran out of his methanol mixture while driving.....thread called "tick tick boom"
Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by jturkel
i was told that methanol injection won't make power on our car. it will just maintain cool temps and help maintain the power that we have or already should have. so basically help prevent us from losing power.

nice little link here: http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...injection.html

edit: it's also dangerous too if you dont have some kind of gauge to let you know how much you have left (not sure why you wouldnt want one).....but some guy on the C36/43 forum blew his motor b/c he ran out of his methanol mixture while driving.....thread called "tick tick boom"
Honestly I don't care to make more power but wouldn't mind slowing heatsoak.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
nitrous and methanol 2 completely different applications. nitrous for instant hp and methanol for cooling. which do you want?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
i think methanol injection on our cars would not only slow heatsoak, but possibly prevent it. So if cooling is what you want, methanol injection seems like a good option. Just make sure you monitor your fluid levels.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
nitrous and methanol 2 completely different applications. nitrous for instant hp and methanol for cooling. which do you want?
I prefer cooling cause consecutive runs on our cars without a good waiting period shows how bad heat soak affects us.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
i think methanol injection on our cars would not only slow heatsoak, but possibly prevent it. So if cooling is what you want, methanol injection seems like a good option. Just make sure you monitor your fluid levels.
I never get into something without good research...this is my daily driver I don't wish to ruin it in anyway.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32used
I never get into something without good research...this is my daily driver I don't wish to ruin it in anyway.
good! i'm the same way. mine is my daily as well (and only for that matter lol). i have just heard too many stories recently with people not doing smart things like that lol......resulting in bad things like blowing up their motor.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Methanol (or alky) is run to lower combustion temps-so you can run more boost and not run as high of a risk for detonation, ect-nitrous is to feed more O2 into the cylinder (kinda like adding boost) for more HP-
meth or alky will not alter heat soak to any significant degree (no pun)-heat soak is caused by engine temps/exhaust location-C32/55 guys need either a better fan, more surface area on the radiator, or a hood to vent the hot air out......
there are a TON of Evo guys running either set up with snow or cryo2/CO2 set ups-

Last edited by rockjock; 07-13-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
from what i know (and its not much) about meth injection. once you tune for it and it runs out on you... BOOM its over.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i wouldn't use nitrious. I remember reading on the srt6 thread this guy use to run nitrous and when he had his supercharger rebuilt. The builder told him the nitrious ate away all the telfon on the twin screws. So he was lucky he rebuilt it when he did.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i wouldn't use nitrious. I remember reading on the srt6 thread this guy use to run nitrous and when he had his supercharger rebuilt. The builder told him the nitrious ate away all the telfon on the twin screws. So he was lucky he rebuilt it when he did.
ive heard of this before too, which is exactly the reason why i backed off from this idea 3 or so years ago when i first started a thread about ordering a kit.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
taken from teh srt6 forums

Originally Posted by MD SRT6
I talked to the people doing my supercharger today, and they did take the case apart they said there was some work to do in there so I'm happy about that ( not a total waste hopefully ). ANYWAY A CAUTION TO NITROUS USERS- they said the rotor in there that is coated with teflon was peeling/flaking off pretty badly ! I had heard this can happen with n2o, but ignored it. I guess I quit spraying at a pretty good time. They have requested the intercooler to see if there is any work that can be done there, so I'm mailing that tomorrow.
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/...upgrade-3.html
Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by hooleyboy
from what i know (and its not much) about meth injection. once you tune for it and it runs out on you... BOOM its over.
I havent seen anyone on here using it-but there is software out there for Map Switiching-you set the car up on a pump gas tune (one switch) and a race tune (meth/alky/NOS/100 oct, ect) and when the second runs to a certain point flow wise-the switch kicks in and goes to your pump gas tune-very safe-very convienant.You can also switch by hand when you want (not switch hands...sicko's )-switch by hand
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Guys, I REALLY have to question the C32's heat soak issue here as I ran mine HARD at the track for 20 minute sessions, and NEVER lost ANY power. AKA my lap times and passing ability would not change during the entire run. Heck they would usually get faster as I pushed harder and harder. Granted I did use a code 3 HE, with a stock pump, but this was also with a larger crank pulley.

Oh well, just food for thought here guys.

See yeah
Old 07-14-2009, 12:09 PM

I think they are more worried about 1/4 then HPDE/AutoX-staging for the 1/4 is where the heat soak comes into play (you're not moving much if at all)-HPDE, ect there is no issue with heat soak-as long as the front is open....
Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by rockjock
I think they are more worried about 1/4 then HPDE/AutoX-staging for the 1/4 is where the heat soak comes into play (you're not moving much if at all)-HPDE, ect there is no issue with heat soak-as long as the front is open....
I too am a drager my friend, and have raced MANY different supercharged cars, including one without an intercooler on them. Its VERY simple at least at Keystone/PARaceway park, and Quaker city, TURN THE CAR OFF AND PUSH

Hence no heat soak. At every track I have ever been at, you have a LONG wait in between runs, aka more than 20 minutes. Drive slow down the return path, let idle for a few minutes, turn off with hood open, Problem solved.

E55's I do understand suffer from heat soak, but I am NOT biting on the C32 as I owned it, Draged it, Road raced it, and just about everything else under the sun with it and NEVER had a heat soak issue.

See yeah

PS Ice on the blower works miracles at the track Just make sure to put a damp towel on it first as a melted bag is no fun. Some tracks can get very an-l about ice bags, so this is best done, OUTSIDE of the stagging lanes.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 07-14-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Guys, I REALLY have to question the C32's heat soak issue here as I ran mine HARD at the track for 20 minute sessions, and NEVER lost ANY power. AKA my lap times and passing ability would not change during the entire run. Heck they would usually get faster as I pushed harder and harder. Granted I did use a code 3 HE, with a stock pump, but this was also with a larger crank pulley.

Oh well, just food for thought here guys.

See yeah
i suffer from terrible heat soak, especially now during the summer....as it is currnetly 112 and only 10:47 AM. Hooley can vouch for how hot my car gets and that I lose power.

Not sure which larger crank pulley you used, but it does matter. I used a 178 for a yr without any heat issues and without a heat exchanger. Once I bumped up to a 185 and ran much more boost (and subsequently resulted in the release of much more heat), i had heat issues and immediately put on my heat exchanger....after that, my heat problems improves b/c it was still cool, but in the summer heat, they are still quite bad and I lose power quickly.....and the way the stock coolant circuit is set up, it helps maintain that "heat soak"

it is very obvious when the car is heat soaked. maybe not in PA, but here in AZ and when sitting and not moving, you know.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
I havent seen anyone on here using it-but there is software out there for Map Switiching-you set the car up on a pump gas tune (one switch) and a race tune (meth/alky/NOS/100 oct, ect) and when the second runs to a certain point flow wise-the switch kicks in and goes to your pump gas tune-very safe-very convienant.You can also switch by hand when you want (not switch hands...sicko's )-switch by hand
someone on the srt6 forum is doing it. getting two maps burned onto a chip or something. theres a link on the thread too. i think its like 700-800 bucks to do this (according to the post)
Old 07-14-2009, 02:00 PM

sounds right (it was $250 on my Evo....I love those cars )-
its an easy set up-and lets guys run different classes in autx and HPDE with 2 toons.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
I don't know what this is really either, but if the car can run without it why would it blow without it? Isn't it just added cooling? I guess maybe if you tune your car too hard it would have a problem but if you leave it how it is shouldn't it just help out? Also that person that tick tick boomed I believe said he jacked up the programming in his car I don't remember him saying he ran out of coolant.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
i suffer from terrible heat soak, especially now during the summer....as it is currnetly 112 and only 10:47 AM. Hooley can vouch for how hot my car gets and that I lose power.

it is very obvious when the car is heat soaked. maybe not in PA, but here in AZ and when sitting and not moving, you know.
I agree totally with you that in 112 degrees and the 185 pulley that sitting in traffic COULD give the vehicle heat soak.
Number one, GET A LARGER HE NOW

Number two seperate your system, as MANY have done here including a DIY.

What I was saying, and still agree with, is that a C32 in normal weather conditions aka 90 degrees, is NOT going to suffer from a heat soak issue on ANY track.

If there is an accident or traffic jam that lasts for hours, ANY CAR IS SCREWED. But under these conditions, since you are not moving, who cares that you are NOT making max power

You happen to be in an extreme environment, sorry about that, that could give your specific car a headache. Not to mention the 185, whcih was NOT on my car as it did not exist yet.

Good luck my friend

See yeah
Old 07-14-2009, 02:12 PM

I hit the 140's for intake temp on my car (C55) on my drive home on I94 here in Mpls when its 80 out side-there's a def. diff when you want to get into a lane and pass someone-there is a lot of heat under the hood on either car-
if you keep a "factory" toon on the car-the Cryo will only improve combustion-no ill side effects that I could foresee-
again-most guys do this when running 25+ lbs of boost (30+ on E85 set ups) to lower temps in the cyl.
I say get an alky set up-you'll enjoy that
Old 07-14-2009, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
I used a 178 for a yr without any heat issues and without a heat exchanger. Once I bumped up to a 185 and ran much more boost (and subsequently resulted in the release of much more heat), i had heat issues and immediately put on my heat exchanger....
I agree totally with you that in 112 degrees and the 185 pulley that sitting in traffic COULD give the vehicle heat soak.
Number one, GET A LARGER HE NOW
its on! see above post/sig

Number two seperate your system, as MANY have done here including a DIY.
yup, thats next on my list (as stated on in my sig lol)

What I was saying, and still agree with, is that a C32 in normal weather conditions aka 90 degrees, is NOT going to suffer from a heat soak issue on ANY track.

You happen to be in an extreme environment, sorry about that, that could give your specific car a headache. Not to mention the 185, whcih was NOT on my car as it did not exist yet.
yah, 90 degrees still hurts though....without the separate IC system, you can notice the effects.....which is why i refuse to go to the drag strip in the summer out here. heck, last nights low was 93. i think with the 185 you can still experience heat soak from just sitting there if you dont have the coolant circuit separated and its hot. and heat soak or not, you can definitely tell the difference in power when its 40 and when its 100. night and day difference.

anyway, sorry C32used for the , lets get back on the topic of meth/nitrous
Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
there has to be a way for you c32 guys to get a bigger h/e in front of your radiaitor. as tight of a fit as mine was i was able to fit the supercooler in mine with only minor trimming and mods. jegs has so many diffent size radiators surely someone can measure the space between the rad and the grille and find 1 to fit. then cut off the inlet and outlet tubes weld sghut and reinstall on the passenger side. i have fotos of mine if anyone wants them. my cost was 320$ and since the install i beat the crap out of it drags and highway blasts in 100 degree heat with NO s/c cutout