Valeo to Bosch alternator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Thumbs up Valeo to Bosch alternator

Yes it can be done no problem..biggest issue is the work involved to first remove it but installation was a breeze.

Here is a DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/3188668-post5.html

Now you need to make sure the regulator on either your reman Valeo or Bosch alternators is identical as the OEM Valeo or Bosch alternator version....biggest issue I had was with using Advance Auto Stores was getting a replacement with the right regulator...due to plug not regulator rating. Out of 3 examples none were good due to wrong plug on regulator. I had a local place in Chicago that onsight remanufactors Starters/Alternators for all kinds of cars...number is if you live around or near Chicago 1-773-725-8930 I believe its called Derpol Corp They double checked it had right regulator and changed it and retested the alternator after installing proper regulator and swapping the pulley from my Valeo to the Bosch...they even repainted the pulley and made it look new

Now my friend Sam didn't use the DIY he pretty much winged it...
the reman Bosch was re-installed and running in under an hour
I suggest buying a E14 Torque socket....(I think) cause the super smart designing brains at MB decided to use 2 different tools for removing the bolts.....of course some things or warning came right up after battery was disconnected here they are:

1. ESP warning...solution...turn wheel fully left then fully right then back to middle(if warning still there turn off and on car)
2. low coolant level...simple solution...add coolant til warning goes away(you may need to have car running so 50/50 mix can be circulated thru the system)
3. Reset clock
4. Windows,sunroof....simple solution...use auto down for windows then hold button up and when closed hold button like 5 seconds more then try auto up and down...repeat each window...Sunroof is a pain you need to keep pushing the open til fully opened then once fully opened hold like 5 seconds repeat with closing til closed then hold 5 seconds then try one touch auto open then auto close...any issues just retry again holding for like 10 seconds on sunroof or windows.

I have yet to experience any other error or malfunction...

P.S ON BRACKET FOR ALTERNATOR ARE SOME PLASTIC THINGS/BUSHINGS THAT NEED TO CAREFULLY BE MOVED TOWARDS BRACKETS(X2) ITSELF THEY RE TIGHTEN WHEN BOLTS ARE TIGHTEN..ANY QUESTIONS PM ME...

SPECIAL THANKS TO JACEK,NICK55,IMPORTLABS AND MY GREAT FRIEND SAM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by c32used
Yes it can be done no problem..biggest issue is the work involved to first remove it but installation was a breeze.

Here is a DIY https://mbworld.org/forums/3188668-post5.html

Now you need to make sure the regulator on either your reman Valeo or Bosch alternators is identical as the OEM Valeo or Bosch alternator version....biggest issue I had was with using Advance Auto Stores was getting a replacement with the right regulator...due to plug not regulator rating. Out of 3 examples none were good due to wrong plug on regulator. I had a local place in Chicago that onsight remanufactors Starters/Alternators for all kinds of cars...number is if you live around or near Chicago 1-773-725-8930 I believe its called Derpol Corp They double checked it had right regulator and changed it and retested the alternator after installing proper regulator and swapping the pulley from my Valeo to the Bosch...they even repainted the pulley and made it look new

Now my friend Sam didn't use the DIY he pretty much winged it...
the reman Bosch was re-installed and running in under an hour
I suggest buying a E14 Torque socket....(I think) cause the super smart designing brains at MB decided to use 2 different tools for removing the bolts.....of course some things or warning came right up after battery was disconnected here they are:

1. ESP warning...solution...turn wheel fully left then fully right then back to middle(if warning still there turn off and on car)
2. low coolant level...simple solution...add coolant til warning goes away(you may need to have car running so 50/50 mix can be circulated thru the system)
3. Reset clock
4. Windows,sunroof....simple solution...use auto down for windows then hold button up and when closed hold button like 5 seconds more then try auto up and down...repeat each window...Sunroof is a pain you need to keep pushing the open til fully opened then once fully opened hold like 5 seconds repeat with closing til closed then hold 5 seconds then try one touch auto open then auto close...any issues just retry again holding for like 10 seconds on sunroof or windows.

I have yet to experience any other error or malfunction...

P.S ON BRACKET FOR ALTERNATOR ARE SOME PLASTIC THINGS/BUSHINGS THAT NEED TO CAREFULLY BE MOVED TOWARDS BRACKETS(X2) ITSELF THEY RE TIGHTEN WHEN BOLTS ARE TIGHTEN..ANY QUESTIONS PM ME...

SPECIAL THANKS TO JACEK,NICK55,IMPORTLABS AND MY GREAT FRIEND SAM.
Good information c32used!

Just out of curiosity (since there seems to be quite a few alternator issues lately), is your alternator overdriven or is another smaller pulley used in conjunction with your crank pulley to even out accessory pulley rpms?
Old 07-18-2009, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Question

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Good information c32used!

Just out of curiosity (since there seems to be quite a few alternator issues lately), is your alternator overdriven or is another smaller pulley used in conjunction with your crank pulley to even out accessory pulley rpms?
Honestly I don't know if its over driven but swapping my Valeo pulley to the Bosch is all I did...how can I test to check if over driven?

Any extra juice may prove beneficial for my upgraded audio system.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i'm not a fan of bosch, but i'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i'm not a fan of bosch, but i'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Honestly I don't know if its over driven but swapping my Valeo pulley to the Bosch is all I did...how can I test to check if over driven?....
You would have to measure output from the alternator under different engine loads (e.g. idle, moderate, and heavy load).
I don't know the particulars of the pulley system you are running and how much your motor spends at significant/high loads.
The OE alternator is designed to be driven within a range of pulley rpms. Depending on how much accessories are overdriven (and for how long) will dictate whether your alternator is operating under it specified range.

....Any extra juice may prove beneficial for my upgraded audio system.
In computerized cars like ours, this may (or may not) be the case. While acknowledging that we have a plethora of fuses, relays, and other safeguards in place to prevent voltage irregularities from adversely affecting our ECUs and other sensitive electronics, bad stuff can still happen!
I'm definitely not saying that's what is happening - again, I don't know how much your accessories are being overdriven (if at all). However, to answer your question, at low (to moderate) engine speeds, an overdriven alternator may out somewhat if you have increased draw from your battery.

Depending on the degree of alternator overdrive (if any), you may want to keep an eye out for signs of overcharging in your battery.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
You would have to measure output from the alternator under different engine loads (e.g. idle, moderate, and heavy load).
I don't know the particulars of the pulley system you are running and how much your motor spends at significant/high loads.
The OE alternator is designed to be driven within a range of pulley rpms. Depending on how much accessories are overdriven (and for how long) will dictate whether your alternator is operating under it specified range.

In computerized cars like ours, this may (or may not) be the case. While acknowledging that we have a plethora of fuses, relays, and other safeguards in place to prevent voltage irregularities from adversely affecting our ECUs and other sensitive electronics, bad stuff can still happen!
I'm definitely not saying that's what is happening - again, I don't know how much your accessories are being overdriven (if at all). However, to answer your question, at low (to moderate) engine speeds, an overdriven alternator may out somewhat if you have increased draw from your battery.

Depending on the degree of alternator overdrive (if any), you may want to keep an eye out for signs of overcharging in your battery.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna

Why did you have to do this?

Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
So did you have the place that re-manufactures the alternator repair yours or did you buy a new one from Autozone and have them swap some of the parts to make it work? If the later, do you know if the place could have rebuilt yours and how much?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by mdncn2762

Why did you have to do this?

Thanks
I had no choice my car was down a week waiting on right alternator and that place only had Bosch available.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
So did you have the place that re-manufactures the alternator repair yours or did you buy a new one from Autozone and have them swap some of the parts to make it work? If the later, do you know if the place could have rebuilt yours and how much?
No I didn't have time to leave mine to remanufactor so I bougth a reman version and Bosch is all they had available.

BTW it's cause of Advance Auto the repair took a week...the place in Chicago actually knew what they were doing while Advance Auto was into just doing more exchanges.

Last edited by c32used; 07-19-2009 at 07:24 PM.