C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Bi Xenon Headlamps - Function?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Bi Xenon Headlamps - Function?

I have a question for the masses here. I have a 2003 C32 AMG with the Bi Xenon projector headlamps. I have never driven another MB with these so I am trying to get a description of what they should be doing when they function correctly? Please reply if you own a MB with this option...

When I start my car the headlamps come one and I can see them cycle thru the range of leveling adjustment up and then back down. Low beam seems to function normally albeit the lights are sooooo bright that I routinely pith off the cars in front of me cause they think I am running on high beam until, I pass them and click on the brights, lol

However, when I do click on the brights, they seem to project a significant amount of light upwards and appear to be aimed too high. Note: This is much less noticable when out in dark country or when running at higher speeds. I am only wondering if the high beams are fixed in aim or do they also normally adjust? and if so, what is the normal failure mode? I have wondered for some time if my highbeams are stuck in the up position? or were they simply calibrated for triple digit autobahn speeds out in dark rural country?

Irish
Old 08-08-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 c63 AMG
Originally Posted by JG26_Irish
I have a question for the masses here. I have a 2003 C32 AMG with the Bi Xenon projector headlamps. I have never driven another MB with these so I am trying to get a description of what they should be doing when they function correctly? Please reply if you own a MB with this option...

When I start my car the headlamps come one and I can see them cycle thru the range of leveling adjustment up and then back down. Low beam seems to function normally albeit the lights are sooooo bright that I routinely pith off the cars in front of me cause they think I am running on high beam until, I pass them and click on the brights, lol

However, when I do click on the brights, they seem to project a significant amount of light upwards and appear to be aimed too high. Note: This is much less noticable when out in dark country or when running at higher speeds. I am only wondering if the high beams are fixed in aim or do they also normally adjust? and if so, what is the normal failure mode? I have wondered for some time if my highbeams are stuck in the up position? or were they simply calibrated for triple digit autobahn speeds out in dark rural country?

Irish
the highs are just standard H7 halogen and are fixed and will project higher..
Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Bi Xenons

Originally Posted by fergsc32
Danke, mein Herr. Das ist sehr gut.

At least I know they are not stuck, lol. Since I do not drive triple digits at night much, I may dial them down a degree or two.

Irish
Old 08-08-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I think most new cars (specifically german cars) project a lot of high beam light not only farther down the road but up into the trees too. My C55 does it and my mom's 5 series does it too.

I find no issue with it? I like to see the owls hiding in the trees.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Maybe your headlights need to be re-aimed correctly. On bi-xenons, in the low beam projectors a flap/shield moves out of the way and lets the rest of the light be spread out. The high beam on bi-xenons doesn't necessarily get brighter, but rather just lets more light out.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by fergsc32
bi-xenon means that there is no halogen high beam - everything is done through the use of one xenon bulb.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
RES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I thought my 230 would turn on the halogen high beams and open the beam on the Xenon when you hit the highs. On my c55 I don't get the full beams on the Xenons?? Ive been having trouble with my Xenon's and need to look into it some more. But I remember when I hit the highs on the 230, you could hear something move in the headlight when the engine was off. Nothing on the c55.

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
bi-xenon means that there is no halogen high beam - everything is done through the use of one xenon bulb.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:53 PM

Marsaydees
Originally Posted by Russell Stevens
I thought my 230 would turn on the halogen high beams and open the beam on the Xenon when you hit the highs. On my c55 I don't get the full beams on the Xenons?? Ive been having trouble with my Xenon's and need to look into it some more. But I remember when I hit the highs on the 230, you could hear something move in the headlight when the engine was off. Nothing on the c55.
i stand corrected. looks like MB does both for bi-xenon

most other companies just open the lens on the xenon projector as can be seen here
Old 08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Many cars still have high beam halogens because you need to be able to flash when your low beam HID's aren't on (night time low beam).

Also, some cars use the bi-xenon high's only when full on, not the pull-back flashing.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Many cars still have high beam halogens because you need to be able to flash when your low beam HID's aren't on (night time low beam).

Also, some cars use the bi-xenon high's only when full on, not the pull-back flashing.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:07 PM

Marsaydees
Originally Posted by Viper98912

check out the audi vid i posted. looks like only the HID kicks on for a high beam "flash to pass" even with the lows turned off. what you say makes sense, considering it takes a moment for HID's to warm up to full brightness.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Dingleberry
check out the audi vid i posted. looks like only the HID kicks on for a high beam "flash to pass" even with the lows turned off. what you say makes sense, considering it takes a moment for HID's to warm up to full brightness.
Yea, that's not right. I wonder if that's aftermarket or stock. And if so, I wonder if he's doing the actual flash to pass (pull back the spring loaded lever), or if he's quickly turning off and on the full high beam. If so, that's a real good way to mess up your bulbs and ballasts.