C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

First week into ownership and secondary air pump kicked the bucket....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
First week into ownership and secondary air pump kicked the bucket....

Well, oh well.

I turned the car off and it sounded like there was a mini-supercharger going off. At first I thought that maybe the AMG supercharger is activated by a highly trained hamster running on a wheel, which in my case decided to continue running after receiving halt orders. Popped the hood and its the secondary air pump. Stupid thing wouldnt turn off 5 minutes after I shut the car off so I yanked the power to it.

What next? Amazingly no CEL or codes, yet...

In 2006 it went under the campaign for secondary air relay replacement. I don't know if the pump was replaced as well.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
Smog pump

It is an easy fix. If you turned off the power to it you may have saved the smog pump which is the costly part. Pull the purple secondary air injection pump (smog pump) relay in the fuse box on drivers side rear of engine bay and replace. The sticking relay is the culprit but often leads to burned out pump. Replace relay and see if it is OK? if not then the smog pump must be fixed. The CEL will come on eventually but usually, you can drive it around for a day or three before it triggers the CEL. This is not a critical fault but is annoying unless you fix it. Use search to find a great tutorial on this repair.

Irish