C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Tap'n gas a little before you downshift..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS, SLK, ETC
Tap'n gas a little before you downshift..

I do this time to time (usually when I downshift to 2nd or 3rd) and I always wonder if this will harm /stress the tranny... I wish our cars came with nicer tranny
Old 08-24-2009, 05:16 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i do it too. doesn't hurt. do it right it blips just before catching lower gear.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I do it too. it should be fine!
Old 08-24-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Could somebody explain
Old 08-24-2009, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
Could somebody explain
Cliffnotes: Guys driving their automatics as if they were manuals.

Never have, never will.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Merc power
Ditto here, I think it should be fine.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i do it too.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Glad to see some of you does this as welll.. It actually works jst fine if you do it right...
Thanks y'all
Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
is that when u hit the kick down switch quickly making the car downshift? My bmw use to do this real well I didnt notice my C55 doing it and I have tried it a few times. I really dont like the shift patterns even in sport mode it seems to shift too early.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
is that when u hit the kick down switch quickly making the car downshift? My bmw use to do this real well I didnt notice my C55 doing it and I have tried it a few times. I really dont like the shift patterns even in sport mode it seems to shift too early.
Noooo... You should try ECU - Reset... Do search on how to.

We were talking about just tap'n a gas a litle to match RPM when you downshift (blip)
Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
oh I see what would be the purpose of this? To make the tires spin or racing situations? I would be afraid to do this myself. I always thought just downshifting would be hard on the trans if the RPMs were too high. I never really knew what a blip was I thought it was a C63 feature so I didn't really care much. I thought about resetting the ECU, but the way traffic is here I figured I might just make it worse than it is now by learning it to my traffic lifestyle. I was thinking a TCU/ECU tune would eliminate it. I read a post I forgot where it stated that a TCU tune would be aggressive all the time in sport and normal in comfort. Thanks for the info
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
oh I see what would be the purpose of this? To make the tires spin or racing situations? I would be afraid to do this myself. I always thought just downshifting would be hard on the trans if the RPMs were too high. I never really knew what a blip was I thought it was a C63 feature so I didn't really care much. I thought about resetting the ECU, but the way traffic is here I figured I might just make it worse than it is now by learning it to my traffic lifestyle. I was thinking a TCU/ECU tune would eliminate it. I read a post I forgot where it stated that a TCU tune would be aggressive all the time in sport and normal in comfort. Thanks for the info
The purpose of the throttle "blip" is the match engine speed with the speed of the drive shaft.

When you downshift (automatic or manual transmission), you will feel an unpleasant "jerk" when the lower gear is engaged because you suddenly force the engine speed to higher values. By blipping the throttle before the lower gear is engaged, you eliminate or minimize that unpleasant "jerk" which could be enough to unbalance the car and cause a spin when cornering on a track.

That's why people who drive manual transmission cars perform "heel'n toe", where they brake and throttle blip at the same time before they downshift and release the clutch to engage the lower gear. The newer dual clutch transmissions and AMG Speedshift Plus (C63) and AMG MCT (new SL63/E63) transmissions do this blip automatically before any downshifts.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
Ok that makes a lot of sense now I guess I will try this out. Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I am sure others will enjoy this piece of info as well.

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
The purpose of the throttle "blip" is the match engine speed with the speed of the drive shaft.

When you downshift (automatic or manual transmission), you will feel an unpleasant "jerk" when the lower gear is engaged because you suddenly force the engine speed to higher values. By blipping the throttle before the lower gear is engaged, you eliminate or minimize that unpleasant "jerk" which could be enough to unbalance the car and cause a spin when cornering on a track.

That's why people who drive manual transmission cars perform "heel'n toe", where they brake and throttle blip at the same time before they downshift and release the clutch to engage the lower gear. The newer dual clutch transmissions and AMG Speedshift Plus (C63) and AMG MCT (new SL63/E63) transmissions do this blip automatically before any downshifts.