C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How sure are we that the resonator is not a restriction on the C32s?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
How sure are we that the resonator is not a restriction on the C32s?

I have two 'noise' posts, here's first....

I am hitting Eurocharged tomorrow for a pump, H/E, pulleys (178 or 185...too flaky and will likely decide at last minute), Eurocharged dual intake and dyno tune.

Coming from the Mustang camp (owned a '88 5.0 and a highly modded 98 Cobra 'vert)...I used to really love the growl. However with the C32 I am really, really digging on the stealthy silence of the stock C32 exhaust (you tube videos of res delete I saw were 'ok' in terms of sound...great for a V6...but just didn't sound 'great' to me.) Right now teh car is very subdued and classy, I like it that way.

If I go with the 185mm pulley and intake pushing all that extra air...am I going to have an issue with any restriction on the exhaust (outside of manifolds)? I don't want to remove the resonator, but also hesitate to miss out on power....anyone know if the resontator restricts flow? Any pre-post dynos with res delete?

thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
not worth having a noisy exhaust for a couple HP
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Yeah that's where I am at...if there's no issue and the return is only 0-5 horse to remove resonator, then it'll stay on. One day I want to hear one in person without the resonator...those Youtube videos may not be doing it (removing it that is) justice.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
I'm just about 100% sure its not a restriction that will yield any gains
Old 10-07-2009, 12:13 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by testknight
Yeah that's where I am at...if there's no issue and the return is only 0-5 horse to remove resonator, then it'll stay on. One day I want to hear one in person without the resonator...those Youtube videos may not be doing it (removing it that is) justice.
both shop C32's have it removed. You should be able to listen to it then
Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It restricts sound and adds weight. The AMG resonators we have removed have all been a straight through design, with nothing more then sound suppression. I wouldn't look there as the first place for additional HP, but without it you save weight and sound angry!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo
I like it without it, didn't notice a huge differance inside the car, But outside.... Plus my headers.... Sounds like a small v8 at idle
Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
i loved how my c32 exhaust sounded stock. nice and quiet. when i took off the resonator, it sounded much better. it got a little louder but not too much. it sounds much better that way and i dont think the youtube videos do it justice

as far as the resonator goes, deleting it will drop the weight a little bit since it is a heavy ****. you'll probably save 10lbs.

and as far as power goes, it is only a restriction once you get headers. deleting it without upgrading your stock exhaust manifolds to actual headers won't gain any power since the stock manis are the bottleneck on the c32 exhaust system
Old 10-08-2009, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32
im up in lafayette. if you want to here mine just let me know.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by jturkel
i loved how my c32 exhaust sounded stock. nice and quiet. when i took off the resonator, it sounded much better. it got a little louder but not too much. it sounds much better that way and i dont think the youtube videos do it justice

as far as the resonator goes, deleting it will drop the weight a little bit since it is a heavy ****. you'll probably save 10lbs.

and as far as power goes, it is only a restriction once you get headers. deleting it without upgrading your stock exhaust manifolds to actual headers won't gain any power since the stock manis are the bottleneck on the c32 exhaust system
Yeah, the resonator was almost a disappointment when I first took it off. I was thinking, that's it? But when you mostly notice it is at low speed under a load. Then it has a really nice lower throaty sound.