C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Necessary to change O-rings when replacing oil filter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
Necessary to change O-rings when replacing oil filter?

Today I changed the oil in my new-to-me C32 for the first time. I used an oil extractor, Mann fleece filter, Mobil 0W-40 and a filter cap wrench I found at Schuck's auto parts. By far the easiest oil change I have ever completed, though the claims I have seen on this forum of being able to do it without getting your hands dirty seem impossible considering what is necessary to swap out the oil filter. This leads to the question: Is it necessary to replace the O-rings when changing the oil filter?

All the O-rings on my filter 'stalk' or 'holder' or whatever it is properly called seemed pliable and undamaged. I briefly considered reinstalling them with the new filter before reconsidering and pulling them all off and replacing with the new ones contained in the Mann filter kit. Anybody ever re-use the old O-rings?

On a side note, my Mann filter kit came with five O-rings but there were only four old ones and only four O-ring lands I could find. Did I just get an extra O-ring or did I (and the last technician to change the filter) miss one?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
They come with the filter, just replace them. Why not? Different cars will use different combinations of the O rings, not all of them may be used for your car.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 AM

02 C32
Originally Posted by e1000
They come with the filter, just replace them. Why not?
I am of the 'if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it' school of thought, so I considered leaving them alone since they seemed perfectly serviceable. The idea of keeping my hands clean appealed to me somewhat as well. Ultimately I chose to replace them.

Originally Posted by e1000
Different cars will use different combinations of the O rings, not all of them may be used for your car.
That makes sense and makes me feel better. Thanks!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i would just replace them..but i have done one without replacing it and it was fine until the next oil change. But i do oil changes a little early, around 7000 miles.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by MountainStone
I am of the 'if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it' school of thought, so I considered leaving them alone since they seemed perfectly serviceable. The idea of keeping my hands clean appealed to me somewhat as well. Ultimately I chose to replace them.

That makes sense and makes me feel better. Thanks!
Right, I would usually agree with you. But just like the oil and filter you're replacing, they included the O rings for a reason. I mean honestly, you could take that approach and just not replace your engine oil until it siezes. Buy some rubber gloves, replace the O rings at each oil change. Just my opinion.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
It's your first time changing the oil, so you should change it. Who knows if the last person that changed the filter didn't replace it. The last thing you need is for it to start seeping oil IMHO.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You must replace the o-rings or the fiter housing will leak.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 AM

c32 AMG
Good idea to change them and you used 4 out of the 5 rings because the last one is for the oil pan underneath the car. But you used an extractor so you are good to gooooooooooooooooo..lol
Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I wondered this myself since my o-rings also looked to be in great condition. But in the end, who cares, it's a serviceable part meant to be changed when serviced, so go ahead and change them. You paid for them didn't you?

The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" clause doesn't apply when it comes to preventative maintenance.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:28 PM

05 C55
so the oil is drained, old filter is out and new filter in hand.....why are we having this conversation? at that point, its ten seconds more