First time putting my car on a dyno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
First time putting my car on a dyno

There's a dyno event happening in my city and it's $35 for three pulls and all you can drink beer and all you can eat bbq.

My car is pretty much stock except for the lack of a resonator, lighting intercooler pump, desno iridium ik22 spark plugs, and magnecore wires.

I recently did a coolant flush and added new coolant and changed the plugs and wires. I want to get a baseline for how powerful my car is.

I bought some high flow cats, but never got them put on because the check engine light went away. Apparently my primary cats had to be replaced, but what ever was causing the problem went away on its own. I plan on removing the secondary cats and adding high flow cats later on down the road.

Is there any thing I should watch out for, this is the first time that I have had the car dynoed. I will try to get digital copy to show every one. I feel like my car is much more powerful after changing the plugs and wires and the intercooler pump.

Any one have advice or any thing that they might want me to try?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by loudandheard
There's a dyno event happening in my city and it's $35 for three pulls and all you can drink beer and all you can eat bbq.

My car is pretty much stock except for the lack of a resonator, lighting intercooler pump, desno iridium ik22 spark plugs, and magnecore wires.

I recently did a coolant flush and added new coolant and changed the plugs and wires. I want to get a baseline for how powerful my car is.

I bought some high flow cats, but never got them put on because the check engine light went away. Apparently my primary cats had to be replaced, but what ever was causing the problem went away on its own. I plan on removing the secondary cats and adding high flow cats later on down the road.

Is there any thing I should watch out for, this is the first time that I have had the car dynoed. I will try to get digital copy to show every one. I feel like my car is much more powerful after changing the plugs and wires and the intercooler pump.

Any one have advice or any thing that they might want me to try?
Just practice getting it in dyno mode before you go to make sure you know how to do it. Other than that, runs in 3rd gear.

Have fun!!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
There's a dyno event happening in my city and it's $35 for three pulls and all you can drink beer and all you can eat bbq...
Wish we had an outfit like that around here. ;)

See if they’ll include mixture strength readings for a nominal additional charge,
particularly if you’re planning on subsequent modifications.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by splinter
Wish we had an outfit like that around here.

See if they’ll include mixture strength readings for a nominal additional charge,
+1,000,000
Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I had forgot all about dyno mode. I just read up on the thread and a lot of people said that there wasn't a noticeable difference between dyno mode and regular. I think I may try both to get an idea.

Is every one talking about afr, because they are not going to have enough time to do that unfortunately.

Does any one have an average for the amount of horsepower I should be making? I think the dyno is an awd mustang dyno.

I want to get an idea if I have healthy c32.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by splinter
Wish we had an outfit like that around here.

They have a similar deal here on the last saturday of every month. $55 for 3 pulls and BBQ. My friend works there.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
you should see numbers that are somewhere north of 290 rwhp to 321 rwp and torque readings in the 310 + ft/lbs. but remember every dyno is different. readings from a mustang may be higher than a dynotech.
if you want to know the strength the track is the only proving ground. i/c pump wont yield any more power just allows the s/c to run longer before heatsoak sets in. same with the res. delete. minimal inc. in hp but sounds better.
good luck let us know how it goes
Old 11-21-2009, 10:25 AM

SLK32
I was under the impression that you don't need to use dyno mode if it's an all wheel drive dyno.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
you should see numbers that are somewhere north of 290 rwhp to 321 rwp and torque readings in the 310 + ft/lbs.
on a stock car????
No you won't see that much on any dyno. So don't be dissapointed.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I used dyno mode to dyno the car and I came out with 284 whhp and 294 rwt. Apparently the car has almost a flat torque line. I wish I would have been able to take a vid because my car screams, I couldn't believe how loud she got. The guy said that on other types of dyno's my car would have had much more horsepower results. I'm very happy that my minor tune up brought life back to my car. Now it's time for some mods. I saw a couple of the evo's and sti's making around 500 whp, I couldn't believe it.

The car was run in dyno mode in 3rd gear. I wonder if I had it out of dyno mode if it would have been more powerful or if 4th gear would have made a difference. Sorry about the bad scan, but you can make out most of it.
Here's the dyno graph:
Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Those numbers look pretty much spot on for a stock car on a Mustang Dyno. Now you have a good baseline and can get to the fun part....mods! Running in 4th or with dyno mode off doesn't seem to make any difference at all, on mine at least.

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 11-22-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
on a stock car????
No you won't see that much on any dyno. So don't be dissapointed.
exact same driveline as my slk32 and the srt-6. mine in stock form laid down 321 hp and 317 ft/lbs. most srt-6's in stock form yield 290 + hp
it really depends on which dyno you use

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...no-result.html thread #15 are my dyno sheets

Last edited by 320 dreamer; 11-22-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
I'm wondering if the way the dyno was set up is the reason that I got about 30 less horse power than you did. Like the thread you linked, dynos vary by the machine and the operator. I'm still quite content that my car with 140k miles dynoed fairly well.

I wish I had taken a video, my car screamed.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
exact same driveline as my slk32 and the srt-6. mine in stock form laid down 321 hp and 317 ft/lbs. most srt-6's in stock form yield 290 + hp
it really depends on which dyno you use

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...no-result.html thread #15 are my dyno sheets
The "corrected factors" on your dyno seem very generous. Filters alone won't net you that much of a gain. You should have been at or below 300hp/tq. Then again, as you mentioned, it all depends on the dyno AND operator/setup of said dyno.

L&H, your numbers are spot on with 99% of the other 32 stock dyno numbers on a Mustang. Damn impressive numbers for 140k miles.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
The "corrected factors" on your dyno seem very generous. Filters alone won't net you that much of a gain. You should have been at or below 300hp/tq. Then again, as you mentioned, it all depends on the dyno AND operator/setup of said dyno.

L&H, your numbers are spot on with 99% of the other 32 stock dyno numbers on a Mustang. Damn impressive numbers for 140k miles.
Thanks, I'm happy she's still responding to the little things I do to her.

I did notice that the thread that was linked for 320 dreamer's dyno mentioned a lot of people getting low dynos on all wheel drive dynos. If I remember right, they had all of the wheels spinning on my car when they were dynoing it. I wonder if that is some thing to take in to consideration.

I'm still very happy with the results and now it's time to invest in some mods. I think I may take off the secondary cats and put on high flow cats considering how already bought them.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Here are a couple of pics of my car on the dyno. Sorry about the dirty car had been raining that day and a couple of days before as well.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
the major diff with the all wheel dyno is the ecu doesnt go into limp mode when it senses the rears running high speed and the fronts sitting still. it took 5 passes to mine in the right rpm range and run to redline and stop before limp mode.
btw my dyno sheet was the last pass. out of 5 passes every pass was 304 hp or higher. if 1 pass was high i may believe a fluke. having 5 passes in 300 hp and higher ill take any 1 of them for a baseline. first 3 passes were basiclly hot lappin and the last 2 were 3/4 hr waits with ice on the blower before each pass. pass 4 was the highest but the graph wasnt reading right so pass 5 came in.
ill be redynoing after my ecu tuning session in dec. in atl. hoping to get close to 350rwhp with c3, dual cai mods, catch can, and custom tune by tony
Old 11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
ill be redynoing after my ecu tuning session in dec. in atl. hoping to get close to 350rwhp with c3, dual cai mods, catch can, and custom tune by tony
350 would be very respectable on a Mustang dyno with your mod list. I hope you can blow that number away.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Here are a couple of pics of my car on the dyno. Sorry about the dirty car had been raining that day and a couple of days before as well.

turn off your lights, the alternator will be working and loose you some little hp.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
turn off your lights, the alternator will be working and loose you some little hp.
I wonder how much horsepower I lost. I guess I could have been at 190 whp, lol.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:03 PM

yamaha
I accept with information:if you want to know the strength the track is the only proving ground. i/c pump wont yield any more power just allows the s/c to run longer before heatsoak sets in. same with the res. delete. minimal inc.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by ritwiqa
I accept with information:if you want to know the strength the track is the only proving ground. i/c pump wont yield any more power just allows the s/c to run longer before heatsoak sets in. same with the res. delete. minimal inc.
Well, I wanted to get a basis of where my car stands before I start doing performance mods.

I've been having the infamous supercharger issues, so I recently did the coolant flush, plugs and wires, and intercooler pump. Now the car is running strong and not shutting down the supercharger.

I think my issue could have been low coolant, because I was kind of low and I kept getting the message coming up. So I would suggest doing a coolant flush when you do the intercooler pump change.