C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Secondary Kitties + Resonator Delete :D

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by MiZterC32AMG
YESSIIRR! when i had my Z for smog check i was really nervous because of my exhuast system...the Z's exhaust is loud! but not steroids loud..its loud enough to be heard...
lets just say when the guy revved up my car in the lil room that the take the car in for smog check...the cars exhaust sound rumbled throughout the room..made the senior citizens that was waiting in the room with me kringe and look at my car hehehe
man I wonder if we take out the second cats are we going to gain any HP or just the sound ? how about the high flow cats ?

Andy
Old 11-26-2009, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
man I wonder if we take out the second cats are we going to gain any HP or just the sound ? how about the high flow cats ?

Andy
MAYBE? POSSIBLY? i mean, it is another restriction in the exhaust system...

but if u think about it, people go for race cats coz they want less restriction..louder exhaust not, yet will still pass smog?

btw HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE! MERCEDES BENZ RULE!!!

Last edited by SGTzAMG; 11-26-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: btw HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE! MERCEDES BENZ RULE!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
just to clear up confusion on exhaust modifications:

resonator: deleted, increases sound volume and changes pitch to a little deeper/more aggressive. lose about 5lbs of weight. no performance gains.

secondary cats: delete, pitch is same but volume increases. performance gains are 0-1whp. don't expect anything but sound here

primary cats: havent done it and wont, but high flow race cats you MAY see 5 whp and louder, more aggressive exhaust note.

headers: this is where the exhaust power is made. on a stock car, shorties should show 25+whp (IIRC) and a buttload of torque. exhaust note will deepen and become louder. this will ALSO lower boost and lower boost = less heat produced and less stress on the motor.....though i havent measured the effect. not sure how much heat the headers give off compared with the stock manifolds.

the stock exhaust manifolds are the bottleneck in the exhaust which is why you will see negligible if any power gains from deleting your secondaries or resonator. However, once the bottleneck has been removed (by installing headers), you may see a slight gain by improving the exhaust flow in deleting the secondary cats and resonator and replacing them with a straight pipe and upgrading the primaries (though i think they are solid enough as is).

as far as emissions testing goes, you WILL pass smog tests with headers, deleted resonator, secondaries, and high flow primary cats. however, depending on your state, you may not pass visual test/exam/emissions. they don't do visual here so i'm not concerned.

Last edited by jturkel; 11-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by jturkel
just to clear up confusion on exhaust modifications:

resonator: deleted, increases sound volume and changes pitch to a little deeper/more aggressive. lose about 5lbs of weight. no performance gains.

secondary cats: delete, pitch is same but volume increases. performance gains are 0-1whp. don't expect anything but sound here

primary cats: havent done it and wont, but high flow race cats you MAY see 5 whp and louder, more aggressive exhaust note.

headers: this is where the exhaust power is made. on a stock car, shorties should show 25+whp (IIRC) and a buttload of torque. exhaust note will deepen and become louder. this will ALSO lower boost and lower boost = less heat produced and less stress on the motor.....though i havent measured the effect. not sure how much heat the headers give off compared with the stock manifolds.

the stock exhaust manifolds are the bottleneck in the exhaust which is why you will see negligible if any power gains from deleting your secondaries or resonator. However, once the bottleneck has been removed (by installing headers), you may see a slight gain by improving the exhaust flow in deleting the secondary cats and resonator and replacing them with a straight pipe and upgrading the primaries (though i think they are solid enough as is).

as far as emissions testing goes, you WILL pass smog tests with headers, deleted resonator, secondaries, and high flow primary cats. however, depending on your state, you may not pass visual test/exam/emissions. they don't do visual here so i'm not concerned.
so the final conclusion is better to get the high flow cats instead of replacing the second cats with straigh pipe ? agree ?

Andy
Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
so the final conclusion is better to get the high flow cats instead of replacing the second cats with straigh pipe ? agree ?

Andy
the conclusion come down to your wallet/bank account/funds appropriation

before you mess with the primary cats, i would delete the resonator. if that isnt enough sound, then delete the secondaries. if you STILL want more sound at that point, or you decide you want more power and can dish out some money, then get headers. only a couple people have aftermarket primary cats. PM sillverbulletamg and ask if he noticed any difference in power/sound with his.

bottom line though:

if you want serious power, get headers.

if you just want a more aggressive sounding and louder exhaust but don't want to spend too much, delete resonator and secondary cats.

if you want to do the complete exhaust system, do everything (though again, i'm not touching my primaries lol).

headers WILL make your exhaust sound much better too, though i haven't heard a car with headers and resonator.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by jturkel
the conclusion come down to your wallet/bank account/funds appropriation

before you mess with the primary cats, i would delete the resonator. if that isnt enough sound, then delete the secondaries. if you STILL want more sound at that point, or you decide you want more power and can dish out some money, then get headers. only a couple people have aftermarket primary cats. PM sillverbulletamg and ask if he noticed any difference in power/sound with his.

bottom line though:

if you want serious power, get headers.

if you just want a more aggressive sounding and louder exhaust but don't want to spend too much, delete resonator and secondary cats.

if you want to do the complete exhaust system, do everything (though again, i'm not touching my primaries lol).

headers WILL make your exhaust sound much better too, though i haven't heard a car with headers and resonator.
I got you man but what I meant was the second cat replaced with high flow cats and I WILL NOT touch the primary lol.

btw, I dont think I have the resonator jsut the primary and the second cats.

Andy
Old 11-26-2009, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i have a true dual exhaust on my c55, i think the car is quicker.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by advans
i have a true dual exhaust on my c55, i think the car is quicker.
tons of C32 owners have done exhaust projects, including Jake and Jerry of Eurocharged, and what they've come down to is that the only exhaust modification that really makes any notable power is headers.

for the C55, a true dual exhaust would definitely yield some nice power gains.

I got you man but what I meant was the second cat replaced with high flow cats and I WILL NOT touch the primary lol.

btw, I dont think I have the resonator jsut the primary and the second cats.

Andy
you have a C32 correct? (i dont see it listed in your vehicles you listed)

to determine if you have a resonator, you could look under your car......to state it as simply as possible, if you start from the front of the car there are two exhaust pipes. they converge into one a the y-pipe. after the y-pipe. if you have a "pipe" that looks wider than the rest of it and almost rectangular prism-esque in shape, then you have a resonator. if there is just a straight pipe all the way back, then you don't have a resonator

as far as secondary cats being replaced with high flow cats, yes you can do that. you could either replace the secondary cats with 200 cell high flow cats or straight pipes. i'm going to be replacing mine with straight pipes.

and the secondary cats, while catalytic converters, are not monitored O2 sensors or the ECU.....so you wont throw any codes switching them out.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
updated vid of the exhaust :-] after thanksgiving dinner..

Andy
after thanks giving dinner..decided to drive around the mall and see how many ***** are lined up infront of best buy lol and sure 'nuff...hella ppl are campin out there for Black friday...
drove up the nordstrom's parking garage..pulled out he blackerry (only video recording device i had at that time) and had my bro record :-]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfOlqRHcPGI

Old 11-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 ///AMG
Here's my C32 with the resonator deleted. I posted it a long time ago, but for those interested in hearing how it sounds, here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh6LiBjrW80
Old 11-28-2009, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Mizter32AMG and Chazz you guys still have the second cats but just the resonator deleted right ?

Andy
Old 11-28-2009, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mizter32AMG and Chazz you guys still have the second cats but just the resonator deleted right ?

Andy
Hey andy,
Yes sir, its just resonator delete. 2ndry cats are still in. They make. Nice sleek subtle yet nice roary sound bro, especially on WOT. Going 80mph on the freway it just rumbles..I actually like the sound of my car now, been wanting to delete the cats as well..but that's off my mind now :-)
How come man, r u plannin on doing it to ur CLK?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

09 CLK550
So i called a few good shops that people pmded me one shop said $150 per pipe so,
2 resonators and 1 cat comes out to $350 another shop quoted me $300 seems to be much Higher than anyones posted price here. One shop told me $700 i was like year right...... if i find a shop to do it for $200 i will do it but i am nt going in to $300.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Hey andy,
Yes sir, its just resonator delete. 2ndry cats are still in. They make. Nice sleek subtle yet nice roary sound bro, especially on WOT. Going 80mph on the freway it just rumbles..I actually like the sound of my car now, been wanting to delete the cats as well..but that's off my mind now :-)
How come man, r u plannin on doing it to ur CLK?
yes sir I wil do that soon but im thinking to replace the 2nd cats with highflow cats (or with straight pipe dont know which one is better yet) and resonator deleted of course.

btw, you should have rev your engine more so I can hear it...not enough for me .

Andy
Old 12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by BLKCLK550
So i called a few good shops that people pmded me one shop said $150 per pipe so,
2 resonators and 1 cat comes out to $350 another shop quoted me $300 seems to be much Higher than anyones posted price here. One shop told me $700 i was like year right...... if i find a shop to do it for $200 i will do it but i am nt going in to $300.
that's just a quote for a "resonator" delete, which is ridiculous, they are just cutting off ur res, and replacing that section of the pipe with something else.

I suggest you doing an actual exhaust, meaning, cutting off both secondaries, and the resonator, and making a NEW custom pipe, not a "add on" section.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes sir I wil do that soon but im thinking to replace the 2nd cats with highflow cats (or with straight pipe dont know which one is better yet) and resonator deleted of course.

btw, you should have rev your engine more so I can hear it...not enough for me .

Andy
ID LOOVE TO!! but it wont let me rev it past 4000K?
rev limiter? that was at park...wait..i should try revving it on Neutral..
Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
ID LOOVE TO!! but it wont let me rev it past 4000K?
rev limiter? that was at park...wait..i should try revving it on Neutral..
you should hahaah.

Andy
Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 AM

C32 ///AMG
Same for me. I still have the seconds. Just the resonator is removed. I paid a local muffler shop $80 to have it done.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
ic ic.

Andy