C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

SRS Light came on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32, G60 Corrado
SRS Light came on

Guys, over the weekend I leaned over the passenger seat with one knee to start up the car. (I don't know if this caused it, however it is the only thing that I can think of). Then I noticed that my SRS warning came on the display and the red SRS light is on as well. It has been on since and has not gone off. I did read all the threads and they all seem to point to the child seat recognition sensor or other sensors. I did check all yellow wire under the seats and it made no difference. I just got a call back from my SA saying that 9 out of 10 times it is the child recognition sensor and it would cost around $1000 to fix. Also, from his message it seems that it is not a safety issue. Since most of the threads I read were older and on older models, I was wondering if anyone knows any current info on this. I really don't want to spend a grand on this. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
I have the same problem on my 02 C32. My understanding is that the problem is often just a "glitch" in the system, and that a reset of the SRS warning light will fix the problem. Apparently the stealer will do this for $100-$200, but I think that I remember someone mentioning that there is someone on eBay doing it for $45.00 (not sure what that entails you having to remove from your car).
Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Thanks, that is what I think as well. However, I have been playing phone tag with my SA. I am going to see if they can just reset it for me. From what I have read, I can't reset it with my code reader.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Actually, in my case, the screen also shows a tele-aid malfunction, so I am not sure if something in the tele-aid (which I do not even use, as no phone is connected) is screwing up and also causing the SRS warning to come on?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:35 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Mine is only showing the SRS warning. I still haven't had the time to take it in. I'll try to stop by the stealers tomorrow to see if they can just try to reset it and see if comes back on.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
What was the final resolution to this? I am tired of looking at the warning on the MFD and the red SRS light.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
When i took apart my dash i got SRS warning lights. went away when i put it back together. maybe there is a connection loose to the buttons in the center console?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Originally Posted by Vomit
What was the final resolution to this? I am tired of looking at the warning on the MFD and the red SRS light.
Sorry for not updating my thread. Well, I did end up taking it to the dealer. It came up with some codes. They tried resetting it, but did not take. They told me it is the "airbag control unit" from what I recall. I have the invoice at home and will post the exact codes and diagnosis. Anyhow, they quoted something around $1200 to fix it. So I left it at that and actually was thinking about bring this thread up again asking for suggestions in fixing the problem.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 AM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Well what they told me was that it was a "Faulty SRS Control Unit" with codes B1003 and B2D92. Oh, the actual quote was $1552.77 . There has to be a DIY out there..
Old 04-27-2011, 10:32 PM

C55 AMG
Question

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but I have the exact same problem on my C55 right now.

Stealership wanted $1000 to replace the sensor in the passenger seat.

Any cheaper or DIY way around this?

SRS light is not a safety hazzard as the air bags will still deploy in the event of an accident that's why I am having a hard time justifying spending a grand to fix something that is just mildly irritating.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Find out what the part number is and maybe you can purchase it on parts.com at a discounted price. Let me know what the piece is called and maybe I can look it up in wis.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Well, mine is still on. Same thing, as I understand the airbags still deploy in an event of an accident. So, I didn't pursue fixing it. It's apparently a control unit within the dash, don't know the exact location.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 PM

2005 C55 AMG
I received a TSB regarding SRS illumination. On travel today, when I'm home tomorrow I'll pull it and get the number. I remember that the repair was free, and only recommended when the SRS light is on.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by SUPR C
Guys, over the weekend I leaned over the passenger seat with one knee to start up the car. (I don't know if this caused it, however it is the only thing that I can think of). Then I noticed that my SRS warning came on the display and the red SRS light is on as well. It has been on since and has not gone off. I did read all the threads and they all seem to point to the child seat recognition sensor or other sensors. I did check all yellow wire under the seats and it made no difference. I just got a call back from my SA saying that 9 out of 10 times it is the child recognition sensor and it would cost around $1000 to fix. Also, from his message it seems that it is not a safety issue. Since most of the threads I read were older and on older models, I was wondering if anyone knows any current info on this. I really don't want to spend a grand on this. Thanks.
lol i know exactly what problem you have its the seat ocupency sensor my wife did the same thing i had to buy this part: 2038215579

Seats and tracks - Front seat components - Sensor - Child seat recog
Child seat recog 2002 - 2004

Add to Cart Contact Us
OEM Catalog
Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
2038215579 $202.00 $0.00 $151.50

if you change it, you will need somebody with star to reset your srs light

https://www.getmercedesparts.com/oem...des-parts.html
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by francoisisp
lol i know exactly what problem you have its the seat ocupency sensor my wife did the same thing i had to buy this part: 2038215579

Add to Cart Contact Us
OEM Catalog

Nice! $151 is fair enough to fix this prob.

Did you just DIY the replacement? If yes, can you guide us a bit?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado

Add to Cart Contact Us
OEM Catalog

Wow, thanks man. Can I do this myself or is it embedded in the seat cushion?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by SUPR C
Wow, thanks man. Can I do this myself or is it embedded in the seat cushion?
ok update. after you do it you will not need to connect it to star it will just go off by itself when you swap it out.

to start off move the seat all the way foward
take off the 2 torx bolts on the back rail
then move the seat all the way back and allthe way up.
remove the the 2 torx bolt in the front of the rails
at this point you willbe able to tilt the whole seat back in the maner that i will be resting on the rear seats (dont worry about how the align since they have guide pins)

at the bottom of the lower seat cusion you will see a bar atached by 2 brackets (plastic rivet bracket) well there will be black rivets in them, with needle nose plyer simply pull the black rivets off ( all 4 of them it took me 2 hours to figure out that they dont unscrew lol )

now come the tricky part those bracket self locking on the seat so you will have to get flat head to pri them out i used the wrachet as a hamer the back of the flat head while i was trying to pry... it is painfull.......
warning the is a strong possibility that you will break the braket which they run for around 20 bucks a piece.

after you get done with the brackets you will see that there are wires holding coming from seat. cut all the zip ties.

If you have heated seats there should be to wires. folow the wires i will lead you to some type of hub unit where they all all connect. there shouldbe 2 gold torx screws, take those out.

if you look on the side of the hib ther is somewhat of a panel that comes off , take it off.

now disconnect the yelow connector on the side that is not coming from the seat. after that you will notice the seat connector will be captive in the hub. slide the connector downward to take it off * if you have heated seats you will notice the conector is shared with the motion motor for power, for me i spliced the wires, i didn't want to wait time figuring it out.

anyways at this point the bottom cusion should almost be out. you will notice there are 2 springs that suport the seat just pull the cuision foward and up .

if you do everything right you should have the cuision on your hands thinking i cant beleive im doing this **** well flip it upside down, you will notice clips holding the leather undo all the clips.

the ocupancy sensor is right between the dark phome and the leather piece.

do not remove the whole apholistery just enough to remove and replace the sensor . after that tis self explanatory reinstall in revers order.

i hope this help i will try to post a DIY with pics when i get some free time.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM

2001 Ml430 | 2003 C32amg
Good info!!

Driver side or Passenger side??

ok update. after you do it you will not need to connect it to star it will just go off by itself when you swap it out.

to start off move the seat all the way foward
take off the 2 torx bolts on the back rail
then move the seat all the way back and allthe way up.
remove the the 2 torx bolt in the front of the rails
at this point you willbe able to tilt the whole seat back in the maner that i will be resting on the rear seats (dont worry about how the align since they have guide pins)

at the bottom of the lower seat cusion you will see a bar atached by 2 brackets (plastic rivet bracket) well there will be black rivets in them, with needle nose plyer simply pull the black rivets off ( all 4 of them it took me 2 hours to figure out that they dont unscrew lol )

now come the tricky part those bracket self locking on the seat so you will have to get flat head to pri them out i used the wrachet as a hamer the back of the flat head while i was trying to pry... it is painfull.......
warning the is a strong possibility that you will break the braket which they run for around 20 bucks a piece.

after you get done with the brackets you will see that there are wires holding coming from seat. cut all the zip ties.

If you have heated seats there should be to wires. folow the wires i will lead you to some type of hub unit where they all all connect. there shouldbe 2 gold torx screws, take those out.

if you look on the side of the hib ther is somewhat of a panel that comes off , take it off.

now disconnect the yelow connector on the side that is not coming from the seat. after that you will notice the seat connector will be captive in the hub. slide the connector downward to take it off * if you have heated seats you will notice the conector is shared with the motion motor for power, for me i spliced the wires, i didn't want to wait time figuring it out.

anyways at this point the bottom cusion should almost be out. you will notice there are 2 springs that suport the seat just pull the cuision foward and up .

if you do everything right you should have the cuision on your hands thinking i cant beleive im doing this **** well flip it upside down, you will notice clips holding the leather undo all the clips.

the ocupancy sensor is right between the dark phome and the leather piece.

do not remove the whole apholistery just enough to remove and replace the sensor . after that tis self explanatory reinstall in revers order.

i hope this help i will try to post a DIY with pics when i get some free time.