C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Does a colder plugs help lean AFR at high rpm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Cls63 & C32
Does a colder plugs help lean AFR at high rpm?

As title.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
nope, just prevents detonation.

Last edited by Dingleberry; 12-22-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
I changed mine from Denso ik20 to one step colder NGK bkr7eix,11
No change in AFR, but i noticed that the car has lost some power or torque at low rpm and more aggressive at high rpm.
Did anyone feel the same thing?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
nope, just prevents detonation.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I've added about 190whp over my stock C55. Strangely enough, I've gotten the best performance out of the stock plugs. That kinda goes against the whole colder plug thing.

I seen the best benefits from correctly gapping "pre-gapped" plugs. I couldn't believe how all over the place the gaps were on NGK "pre-gapped" plugs.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
I've added about 190whp over my stock C55. Strangely enough, I've gotten the best performance out of the stock plugs. That kinda goes against the whole colder plug thing.

I seen the best benefits from correctly gapping "pre-gapped" plugs. I couldn't believe how all over the place the gaps were on NGK "pre-gapped" plugs.
i installed them directly without gapping, can you advice me on how to gap them correctly? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
Originally Posted by Robert AMG
i installed them directly without gapping, can you advice me on how to gap them correctly? Thanks.
the key to proper gapping is a spark plug gap tool. 5$ at any parts store. tool is self explanatory.
the secret to plugs is in the indexing. you want the open end of the electrode pointing at the intake valve so the most spark is aimed at the air fuel mixture coming in
mark the plug at the indexing point and install rotating until the mark is pointed at the intake chamber. then tighten to specs
Old 12-28-2009, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
In answer to the OP's first question, no. A lean condition occurs when the air:fuel ratio has more air than desired. Based on your question, you may not understand what the hot/cold plug thing is all about.

The job of a park plug is to ignite fuel and dissipate heat. Some people are of the mistaken opinion that plugs *cause* heat. They don’t. Plugs cause fuel to ignite. The burning of fuel causes heat. Spark plugs remove heat by transferring the thermal energy from the combustion chamber, to the metal that holds the spark plug in place (the threads in the cylinder head), where it's eventually absorbed into the engine's cooling system.

Spark plugs have heat ranges and they're typically referred to as hot or cold. The heat range is an indication as to how much heat the plug will pass from the combustion chamber, through the plug, and into the head. It has nothing to do with the voltage passed through the plug, or how hot the spark is. Those are two other pieces of misinformation that are frequently spread.

Regardless as to whether a spark plug is considered hot or cold, the ideal temperature for the center electrode of a spark plug is between 930 and 1560 degrees Fahrenheit. Below 930 degrees, combustion residue (that should have been burned away) builds up on the plugs until they misfire. Above 1560 degrees, the electrode can burn away, preignition can occur, and that is frequently followed by a holed piston. Hot plugs are designed to retain more heat at the insulator tip and cold plugs are designed to transmit more heat to the cylinder head, but both are designed to *operate* in that same temperature range.

To fix the lean condition on an otherwise stock car, some of the usual suspects are a bad injector (plugged with filth), a plugged fuel filter (more filth), or a weak fuel pump (which may be due to filth).

You installed the plugs without gaping them. Depending on the plug, they may have been pre-gapped. Look at the box.An incorrectly gapped plug can cause high HC readings, which is not a lean condition. High HC (unburned hydrocarbons) is a rich condition.

Lastly, How do you know you're running lean?

Last edited by MarcusF; 12-28-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cls63 & C32

Lastly, How do you know you're running lean?[/quote]

i have the LM1 wideband, AIT and AIP gauges.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
at wide open throttle You should see a AFR of very high 12's (minimum lean) to anything above,... say 12.8 would be considered lean. If you're just putting around town your AFR would be high, but thats normal. Due tot he engine not being under any real load.

Check your fuel trims too, Long term and short term. Long term will give you a better understanding of whats going on fuel wise with your car. For example: If the Long term trims say +8 on both banks (1 and 2) that means the ECU is adding 8% fuel. This is due to the car thinking its to lean or lean a bit. It also works the opposite way. if its way -11% on the LT trims, that means the ECU is pulling 11% fuel out of the car.

To get a CEL for "Bank 1 lean or Bank 2 lean.. Or even both at the same time. I think the Fuel trims would have to jump up to 20% or so to throw a CEL.

Now the "Sort term Fuel Trims will tell you what your car is doing at the moment. Sometime a bit hard to read ans they can fluctuate up and down a bit when you add and release the throttle.

Generally speaking a dead nuts tune should read 0% long term at idle. Thats if the car has no problems. Also Mercedes OEM stock tune is far from dead nuts. In most cases its kinda rich. At least to rich for my taste.

As for gapping. Just a standard gap tool works. IIRC, the gap on my C55 should be 45?? 44??? I was seeing gaps no where close to what OEM called for. So much for pre-gapped plugs.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by MarcusF
In answer to the OP's first question, no. A lean condition occurs when the air:fuel ratio has more air than desired. Based on your question, you may not understand what the hot/cold plug thing is all about.

The job of a park plug is to ignite fuel and dissipate heat. Some people are of the mistaken opinion that plugs *cause* heat. They don’t. Plugs cause fuel to ignite. The burning of fuel causes heat. Spark plugs remove heat by transferring the thermal energy from the combustion chamber, to the metal that holds the spark plug in place (the threads in the cylinder head), where it's eventually absorbed into the engine's cooling system.

Spark plugs have heat ranges and they're typically referred to as hot or cold. The heat range is an indication as to how much heat the plug will pass from the combustion chamber, through the plug, and into the head. It has nothing to do with the voltage passed through the plug, or how hot the spark is. Those are two other pieces of misinformation that are frequently spread.

Regardless as to whether a spark plug is considered hot or cold, the ideal temperature for the center electrode of a spark plug is between 930 and 1560 degrees Fahrenheit. Below 930 degrees, combustion residue (that should have been burned away) builds up on the plugs until they misfire. Above 1560 degrees, the electrode can burn away, preignition can occur, and that is frequently followed by a holed piston. Hot plugs are designed to retain more heat at the insulator tip and cold plugs are designed to transmit more heat to the cylinder head, but both are designed to *operate* in that same temperature range.

To fix the lean condition on an otherwise stock car, some of the usual suspects are a bad injector (plugged with filth), a plugged fuel filter (more filth), or a weak fuel pump (which may be due to filth).

You installed the plugs without gaping them. Depending on the plug, they may have been pre-gapped. Look at the box.An incorrectly gapped plug can cause high HC readings, which is not a lean condition. High HC (unburned hydrocarbons) is a rich condition.

+1 great info
Old 12-30-2009, 10:18 PM

c32 amg
whats the difference between a cold spark plugs and hot spark plugs?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 AM

1992 Toyota Corolla, 1994 Chevy C1500, 2002 C32, 2012 Prius, 2013 Toyota Sienna
Installed the 185mm pulley, got my Jerry tune back. What should I gap my NGK IX BKR7EIX-11's to? .035? Recommendations appreciated........
Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Originally Posted by c32-silverarrow
whats the difference between a cold spark plugs and hot spark plugs?
reread post #8
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM

Installed the 185mm pulley, got my Jerry tune back. What should I gap my NGK IX BKR7EIX-11's to? .035? Recommendations appreciated........
Old 03-23-2011, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by mdncn2762
Note the “-11” suffix on NGK plugs indicates they’re supplied gapped to ~1.1mm/.043 inch. Our OE NGK IFR6D10s are 1mm/.039” as delivered.

Given your I85mm pulley, to reduce amperage requirements and help eliminate the chance of spark ‘blowout’ during extended WOT Autobahn operation,
I’d suggest no more than .9mm/.035” as a reasonable compromise upon initial installation.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Interesting info thanks guys
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 AM

Interesting as always....Thanks

Originally Posted by splinter
Note the “-11” suffix on NGK plugs indicates they’re supplied gapped to ~1.1mm/.043 inch. Our OE NGK IFR6D10s are 1mm/.039” as delivered.

Given your I85mm pulley, to reduce amperage requirements and help eliminate the chance of spark ‘blowout’ during extended WOT Autobahn operation,
I’d suggest no more than .9mm/.035” as a reasonable compromise upon initial installation.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:40 PM

05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by MarcusF

You seem like you have pretty good knowledge so I have a question for you. I was always taught to install the spark plugs in a certain direction with the spark opening, the direction with the opening of the electrode gap facing toward the direction where the furthest flame front will need to travel.

Since the C55 has two spark plugs it doesn't seem like it makes sense for the electrode gap to face eachother, inward. Would it be better to face them the opposite direction?